New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Chautauqua Thread  (Read 57936 times)

Offline Full_Choke

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Chautauqua Thread
« Reply #420 on: Feb 26, 2010, 10:05 AM »
Most of are fish were between 8-10". Caught a few 7" between 12 -2pm. No real hogs. Your limit by 11 was a faster pace than mine. I thought dad was kidding me when he told how many he had. We were fishing about 15' apart. At 2pm we would of been the 2 flip overs at the north end of the group.
I could not catch them.   I could not feel them bite.   Could not beleive how much bait, minnows and wax worms were stolen of my treble hooks.
I was not prepared for fishing that deep. Twenty foot depth would be deep for most places i fish. I dont have the best equipment nor the worst. Curly or to heavy mono, wrong rod action combined with two lite of bait had me switching poles to often. I would catch on a swedish pimple then they would just stare at it, then drop a ice dot with a wax worm and just keep switching back and forth. Dad used one rod - one bait and was kicking my butt.
I'll be back! What a beautiful lake area.

Offline wnystxguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #421 on: Feb 26, 2010, 10:42 AM »
fullchoke... im new to the ice scene to and i figured out you have to watch your rod tip. i dont "feel" 3/4 of the fish i bring in...Get a spring bobber...

Offline eddiew_29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #422 on: Feb 26, 2010, 10:49 AM »
Most of are fish were between 8-10". Caught a few 7" between 12 -2pm. No real hogs. Your limit by 11 was a faster pace than mine. I thought dad was kidding me when he told how many he had. We were fishing about 15' apart. At 2pm we would of been the 2 flip overs at the north end of the group.
I could not catch them.   I could not feel them bite.   Could not beleive how much bait, minnows and wax worms were stolen of my treble hooks.
I was not prepared for fishing that deep. Twenty foot depth would be deep for most places i fish. I dont have the best equipment nor the worst. Curly or to heavy mono, wrong rod action combined with two lite of bait had me switching poles to often. I would catch on a swedish pimple then they would just stare at it, then drop a ice dot with a wax worm and just keep switching back and forth. Dad used one rod - one bait and was kicking my butt.
I'll be back! What a beautiful lake area.
wny is right!! get a spring bobber. there real cheap and be found at the baitshops around here. i prefer the flat metal or actual spring looking ones over the straight round metal ones. the round metal ones dont seem to be nearly as sensitive.

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please Take Your Garbage Home
« Reply #423 on: Feb 26, 2010, 12:34 PM »
Just arrived home from 1 1/2 days fishing at The Bell Tower. Had a BLAST! Fished depth approx 52'. Caught most up off the bottom 10'. havent fished water that deep in ages. Took some time to figure it out. Vex is the only way to go. Put camera down for a few minutes just to see what all those flashes were. Yep PERCH!!!!!!!
**** When I arrived home "The Wife of 28 years" says " your home already? Not sure what she was saying. Only gone one night. Guys was she saying that it was ok to have gone for more?**** Lots of good marrage advice in this thread.
Thanks to Snow Ridge Motel-Hogans Hut bait and a Happy Hooker... (bait !)
I use 2# test and marmish bite indicators, if they swim within 3 ft i can feel them coming LOL, actually yesterday I caught a lot of my fish on a rod I built with no bite indicator at all and 3# test and a  very sensitive tip. fish are everywhere in this lake, catching them is all  in the equipment and technique.

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #424 on: Feb 26, 2010, 03:40 PM »
Anyone venture out today?  Would really like to hit PG at first light but the water I like to fish (Magnolia Bay) is a hike and a half from the public access.  Tough drag even without a ton of snow (and no mobile or wheeler).  Just curious as to how much deeper the snow is since this last storm.  may just go to the bell tower if it piled up.
130 mile an hour, smiling at the camera with a toothpick in his mouth!

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #425 on: Feb 26, 2010, 03:46 PM »
Love my 12" HT ultra light, no need for spring bobber..I do use spring bobber on medium action pole.

Good luck this weekend, save some fish for me, staying home.. Have to spend time with the wife..Well she did say, "just !@#$ing go, you'll probably just sit home and be mad anyway".....LMAO, haven't made up my mind yet..Suppose I could do something around the house!  ??? We only get so much hard water time...
Vexilar Entertainment System

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #426 on: Feb 26, 2010, 03:49 PM »
I just read the State park closings for NYS...**censored**!!! I didn't realize they're closing Long Point  >:( Is this for good??

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #427 on: Feb 26, 2010, 03:56 PM »
NateG,  I'll think of ya at about 5am on my way to the lake.  Don't sleep too close to the crack you will catch a cold.

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #428 on: Feb 26, 2010, 04:11 PM »
I meant Whitney Bay but its near Magnolia Dr I believe.  All private off that as far as I know.  Yeah if you're not using 3# or less and some type of spring bobber you will reach your potential with the panfish.  Especially the crappie. I survived without electronics up till a year ago.  If you start on the bottom and get no action you just have to bring your bait up a couple cranks at a time with a couple minutes of jigging between changing depths.  You will find the perch this way eventually and can mark you line and just real it up to your mark.  If the action dies at the level you have marked try going up for a bit.  Having electronics definitely saves time and is almost a must when the eyes are tight-lipped.  Like someone said the lake is full of perch so its just a matter of probing the water column to find them.  Good luck to everyone this weekend.  Last days of rabbit season so I will probably have to spend some time with my beagle.  I tried to tell him all this snow probably screwed us for running rabbits but he's not buying it.  

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #429 on: Feb 26, 2010, 05:45 PM »
just loaded up the truck for the morning and now preping for a heart attack in the morning.....might have to stay in a little closer...

Offline jackie bushman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • swimmin' with the fishes
« Reply #430 on: Feb 26, 2010, 06:55 PM »
My truck is loaded, son's in bed .. we're ready for 4:30am .. We're "planning" to put in at Prendergast and head towards the Bell Tower .. we'll see how far we get if we don't bog down ? I'm sure wherever we end up if the snow is that bad that we'll find fish. We're fortunate the lake is producing as it has this season. Additionally, nobody's told my son yet that a 9"+ perch isn't a good reason to get excited so as long as he's happy, I'll be happy !!
Team Capt. Cuba Lake All-Stars .. It's like always being a man up everytime we hit the ice !
Mentor of many future Cuba Lake Legends

Offline C-Bisket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' - it's what I useta do! "A LOT"
« Reply #431 on: Feb 26, 2010, 07:17 PM »
If anyone’s got real snow / ice conditions (just got off the lake kind) - drop a quick response here with what it looks like currently in the northern part of the lake (BT, PG, MS, Ect.) ... give your best guess on getting a wheeler out tomorrow morning - is the snow heavy /inch. deep / etc. ... regardless I’ll be at BT or PG early ... but it’d be nice to know ahead of time if a wheeler is an option (packing tonight for bucket or pull sled) ... thanks much in advance.

I fished these areas two days ago - but I know you got snow since.

Don
***** USETA *****
Useta Fish a Lot
Useta Have No Problem With The Freezing Temps
Useta Catch a Lot of Fish
Useta Get Out No Matter What
Useta Blaze The Trail
Useta Cook / Eat Fish Once a Week
Useta Be a Regular Out There
*Still Fish Now and Then, But - Nothing Like I USETA *

Fishing, It's been like robbing banks for 40 years, and getting away with it - now's that time when I give it "ALL" back! - it's very redeeming!

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #432 on: Feb 26, 2010, 08:48 PM »
If anyone’s got real snow / ice conditions (just got off the lake kind) - drop a quick response here with what it looks like currently in the northern part of the lake (BT, PG, MS, Ect.) ... give your best guess on getting a wheeler out tomorrow morning - is the snow heavy /inch. deep / etc. ... regardless I’ll be at BT or PG early ... but it’d be nice to know ahead of time if a wheeler is an option (packing tonight for bucket or pull sled) ... thanks much in advance.

Don

CB
I guess we'll all just complain about work and girlfriends from now on OR nobody went out today.  Since I don't have a machine I'll error on the side of a really tough drag and just hit the BT.  Good luck and if the wheeler's running go get um.

Offline eddiew_29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #433 on: Feb 26, 2010, 09:39 PM »
slush and snow up to the knees for the first 200 yards guys then hardens up. might be ok for quads. i dont run one so not sure..... also posted the other on the chautauqua site. good luck. see ya in the am!

Offline Full_Choke

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #434 on: Feb 26, 2010, 09:59 PM »
Spring bobber. I didnt think of that. Had them in my box. The rod tip was shaking so much i had to set it on a bucket. Slow reflexes!
Good luck guys

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please Take Your Garbage Home
« Reply #435 on: Feb 27, 2010, 04:29 AM »

Don

walk in on Thursday @ noon was tough so by now I would think OMG

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Working to afford bait!
« Reply #436 on: Feb 27, 2010, 07:36 AM »
I use a small slip bobber and just adjust my stop until i find the fish in the water column.  I wont be getting out today though, heading to the buffalo powderkeg festival sounds like fun, good luck guys! I might ask the pond hockey players to let me drill a hole during intermission though, we will see.  ::)
-Chris

Offline C-Bisket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' - it's what I useta do! "A LOT"
« Reply #437 on: Feb 27, 2010, 01:03 PM »
Barely noticeable wind this morning (fished BT) - but a‘nuf that out of habit you’d find your back to it ... snow’s a bear for sure - thumbs up to the guys that dragged the shacks out today (probably 18-20 when I left a little after 10:00, and about 40, 50 guys out there) - but the hut really wasn’t needed (convenience maybe) - I fished without gloves on the whole time on a bucket - my guess it was hovering 32’sh (fished till 10:15)... but the snow is tuff - is it a heart attack drag - we’ll I’ve had one about a year ago, and it’s not that bad ... I managed fine carrying a load, but the snow is (@BT and PG) around a steady 8” - 12” across the area, with a lot’a slush under it - and a few spots of a bit more (drifted), with some large areas that are only 3” no slush ... seen two wheelers on the ice in our area managing fine ... but slow goin’ on the wheeler might be a good idea ‘less you wanna take a launch over the handle bars when the slush / deeper snow puts a surprise on you like RIGHT NOW out of nowhere.

Fishing (perch) looked like it was gonna be productive today (I left at 10:15) - I messed with the standards to start, and settled in 45fow, 6 - 8 cranks up with a minnow on a buckshot perch color ... couldn’t buy a bite the first 3 -4 holes with spikes on Hali - switched to minnow on buckshot - BAM right off ... just had to keep a fresh one on each time to get a bite (I know it sounds like a lot’a screwin’ ‘round - but it’s the only way I got a steady bite today) kept a dozen 9’s or better - and threw back 3 - 4 ( I really only had my line wet for a little over an hour today) ... there’s no question the guys that are out there should all make a limit if they stick to it.

It’s perch fishin’ guys, and it’s gonna be warm for a while now, only a few weeks left - plan for a "leg workout" of a drag ... but they’re there!
***** USETA *****
Useta Fish a Lot
Useta Have No Problem With The Freezing Temps
Useta Catch a Lot of Fish
Useta Get Out No Matter What
Useta Blaze The Trail
Useta Cook / Eat Fish Once a Week
Useta Be a Regular Out There
*Still Fish Now and Then, But - Nothing Like I USETA *

Fishing, It's been like robbing banks for 40 years, and getting away with it - now's that time when I give it "ALL" back! - it's very redeeming!

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #438 on: Feb 27, 2010, 02:15 PM »
I also fished the bell tower today I had my son with me and a couple of other guys  I agree C-B limits were there today we fished a few hours ended up with quite a few and I threw a ton back today  buckshot/minnow  buckshot/waxworm   hali/minnow/minnowhead   hali/waxworm all productive we left some hot holes.  Snow is piling up. Almost could not make it out of the institute due to snow.

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #439 on: Feb 28, 2010, 07:21 AM »
Eat your wheaties in the morning drag is very tough...then take a nap before you head back to shore drag will be worse..The fishing is very productive though and worth the work.

Offline flybuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #440 on: Feb 28, 2010, 08:43 PM »
hey guys, monday will be my last day out for the year, been fishing mayville,PG trying to find the crappie and EYESwould any of you recomend i try findley or bear or stick it out on chau. will be going 3pm- 9am tue, and dying to catch a limit

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #441 on: Feb 28, 2010, 10:19 PM »
I wonder how temps are going to affect the ice, esp this weekend getting close to 40 & sunny. I sure hope they change!

Offline bogeyjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay on Top!
« Reply #442 on: Mar 01, 2010, 06:54 AM »
I hope it gets to 50 degrees to knock the snow down...then sub-freezing nights to tie everything back together.  It's going to take more than a couple 40+ degree days to put more than a dent in the ice conditions, except maybe immediately around creek mouths.

Offline blaque

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #443 on: Mar 01, 2010, 06:59 AM »
Snow is piling up. Almost could not make it out of the institute due to snow.

I intended on hitting that sunday morning, i couldnt do it as i know i wouldnt have made it back up. (didnt have my truck). I come down from the buffalo area........and didnt expect so much snow by you guys. Holy mackerel. It was the first time i was in the institution and it was a mess in there. I got out and counted my blessings i was back on the main road and not stuck in there lol.

The drive to the lake at the top of the hill was near zero visibility with fog, pretty cool actually

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Stop yer squealin' and start reelin'!"
« Reply #444 on: Mar 01, 2010, 09:11 AM »
I hope it gets to 50 degrees to knock the snow down...then sub-freezing nights to tie everything back together.  It's going to take more than a couple 40+ degree days to put more than a dent in the ice conditions, except maybe immediately around creek mouths.
agreed, a day or more to liquify that crud, but then it has to get COLD for a day or two to tighten it up.  Fished in a darned sink on Sunday.  Toughest part was letting the small perch go.  If you didn't get 'em to hit the hole, they'd do a u-turn and start swimming around te flooor, heading out under the shanty and into the wild....  stupid fish....
Ol' Doctari
2014 Recording Sec Erie County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs
2014 Secretary Western NY Environmental Federation
Erie County Fisheries Advisory Board
Region 9 Rep NYSCC Big Game Committee - 2014 Co-Chair
Member NYSOWA
Member Northern Chautauqua Conservation Club
Member Audubon Fishing Club
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline Full_Choke

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #445 on: Mar 03, 2010, 09:17 AM »
Anyone have anything to add? Were looking at fishing Thur/ Fri. Will be using  a spring bobber this time!
Thanks

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #446 on: Mar 03, 2010, 10:34 AM »
I'm free!! I'll be out Friday nite hopefully for a cali bite, anyone going?? Also will do Saturday morning somewhere most likely BT..

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #447 on: Mar 03, 2010, 10:55 AM »
I'll be there NateG.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #448 on: Mar 03, 2010, 11:10 AM »
where you gonna be in the am travis I am laid off again and looking to fish