New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Chautauqua Thread  (Read 57944 times)

Offline JonnyDarter

• IceShanty Rookie
Chautauqua Thread
« on: Dec 29, 2009, 10:06 AM »
Chautauqua BS
Zero degrees doesn't mean zero fishing...

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
Re: Chautauqua Thread
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:26 AM »
This will be the official Chautauqua BS thread.  Were not allowed to BS on the other thread or else its gone for good.  So lets hear it.

Offline prayingforice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:02 AM »
To bad that we have to check 2 threads in order to say hi or see what friends are going out.  Did not think anything was wrong with the string of posts that they objected with, but not my call.  It is not like someone would read only 1 post and go.  No way!  The reports page was limited by the weather and those of us that are trying to stay on top of the situation. And apparently we had to much interest in each others opinions for some.    The best part of the shanty site has been the fact that it is not just a bragging picture site. If some one posts that they caught 3 8lb. walters some where in Chautauqua and they don't give any info or try to have any contact would be allowed in reports and could lead people to fish in questionable conditions.  But what we were doing was bad.  Oh well!  Off my box! Done BS'ing!  This was the right place right?

Has marcus decided on the 6th of feb to try and have meet and greet? 

Still hoping that the next cold snap has less NW wind so the snow machine starves!
Jesus and Peter walked on 70 degree water!  How cool is that?

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:21 AM »
Not to answer the question to Marcus but YES the 6th of Feb is a go.  Can't wait to put some faces with these names.

Offline ice junkies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you wana catch more fish, go more often
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:51 AM »
All us fishermen are full of BS sometimes, this is nothing new  ;D

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Stop yer squealin' and start reelin'!"
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2010, 11:13 AM »
I have a map of the bad areas to watch out for.  Took the old one that I found last night, the scan in didn't work too well, so I took map point and marked it up from there.

North end only.  I'll work on south end later on.

Anyone interested in this map, email me at [email protected] and I'll send you the JPG image of the markups.

Be advised this is NOT a "dangerous ice" map, as that would imply the non marked areas are safe, which we know no one can state.  What this is, rather, is a map of current locations, springs, creek mouths, etc.  These areas should be really avoided during first and last ice.

email me if you would like it.
Ol' Doctari
2014 Recording Sec Erie County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs
2014 Secretary Western NY Environmental Federation
Erie County Fisheries Advisory Board
Region 9 Rep NYSCC Big Game Committee - 2014 Co-Chair
Member NYSOWA
Member Northern Chautauqua Conservation Club
Member Audubon Fishing Club
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2010, 11:58 AM »
Don't get me wrong I love the BS, but the conditions thread would be nice just to hop on and look real quick without reading all posts. That is if you don't keep up on it, that thread filled up quick!

Doc, thanks for the map, email sent.

Does anyone know if Johnny's is still closed for the winter?  :o

Oh yeah, just bought the FL-8 on lunch. Cant wait to use it.
Vexilar Entertainment System

Offline prayingforice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2010, 12:22 PM »
Thing is that it really did not have that much BS.  Went from 13 pages to 12.  Now we have this too.  Just bump it to top every now and then to keep it going.  Thanks for the map Doc.

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2010, 01:28 PM »
no problemo guys, emails are sent.  I also sent on a photo of a pile of yellow perch our R9 fisheries manager was kind enough to send along.  Taken from Burtis Bay a couple days ago.  

Cannot wait for that north end to be nice and thick, as the even larger perch tend to hang in the deep, happily getting fat on scuds and blood worms.

Soon......  

I'll be down this weekend, bringing the spud bar to explore the depths.  

Stay on top and Fish on!

Also, have received confirmation that ice fishing access is permitted at Midway State Park.  Lot should be plowed, entrance off Rt 430.  The master plan for the lake has been finalized, and ice fishing access is permitted.  Don't know exactly about the drag from the lot to the shore, you would access northwest of the roller rink, where the public dock is normally located.

http://www.nysparks.state.ny.us/inside-our-agency/documents/MasterPlans/MidwayStatePark/MidwayStateParkChapter6.pdf

Thanks again...
Ol' Doctari
Member NYSOWA
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2010, 01:53 PM »
Just thought i would say" hi "to the bs thread ;D            :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2010, 02:03 PM »
Just thought i would say" hi "to the bs thread ;D            :tipup:
hey hunter08!  Good to see you here again!

Ol' Doctari
Member NYSOWA
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline ChautauquaDawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2010, 02:20 PM »
Hey Doc, Thanks for the map!

Just walked down to the lake thru Chautauqua Shores park. Walked out a few yards. There is just a couple inches of slush on top. The Snow seemed to be pretty much gone from the lake it self, but still a few feet of snow on the ground. We had a bit of freezing rain today that seemed to help the snow problem. The is definitely an open water area south of the Bell tower towards the middle and running a few hundred yards south. We need it to get colder w/o getting a huge snow fall.

Stay safe all

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2010, 02:33 PM »
Hey Doc, Thanks for the map!

Just walked down to the lake thru Chautauqua Shores park. Walked out a few yards. There is just a couple inches of slush on top. The Snow seemed to be pretty much gone from the lake it self, but still a few feet of snow on the ground. We had a bit of freezing rain today that seemed to help the snow problem. The is definitely an open water area south of the Bell tower towards the middle and running a few hundred yards south. We need it to get colder w/o getting a huge snow fall.

Stay safe all
no problemo.  Hopefully that gap you speak of, running from just S of bell tower towards Viking and in center (always a tough area) will harden up in the next couple nights.  I see we're supposed to see the freezer again.  I hope the snow stays away long enough to let the ice get hard and thick....

Thanks for the report..
Ol' Doctari
Member NYSOWA
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline prayingforice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:04 PM »
Going to have to get more guys BS'ing or this will dissappear down into page 12.   Bump!

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:09 PM »
Funny,  Thats where i found the start of this thread.

Offline prayingforice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:52 PM »
did you fish today game hog?

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:05 AM »
Got my truck back from the doctor.  Game on.  Fishing this evening.

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2010, 02:32 PM »
What's that fisherman's motto?

Early to bed, early to rise
Fish like hell and make up lies?

Its all good.

Reports I have received from a couple different solid sources down there show very limited north end angling, Magnolia Bay and a little in Warner Bay.  A few guys are getting out in Mayville, but some open water near the spring out there is not helping the cause.  Lots of slush and snow forcing ice down, down, down....  water coming up through holes and making everything a mess.

However, temps are forecasted to take a real nosedive tomorrow evening, which should tighten up the nastiness for Saturday AM.  I'll be bringing the spud and adventuring out to the 42' break in Maple Springs saturday.  We should be okay, but caution is definitely the word.
Ol' Doctari
Member NYSOWA
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2010, 02:43 PM »
I'll be heading that way tomorrow and will fish burtis AM. Have a CLAM 5600 w/hub sides. Feel free to stop by for a swig of Captain!

Arrrg..

Offline JoeM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2010, 02:44 PM »
In for the BS thread. Can't wait to go back there, Last week's catch is all gone now. Hopefully the North end will freeze up soon!

Offline fmck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2010, 04:55 PM »
What's that fisherman's motto?

Early to bed, early to rise
Fish like hell and make up lies?

Its all good.

Reports I have received from a couple different solid sources down there show very limited north end angling, Magnolia Bay and a little in Warner Bay.  A few guys are getting out in Mayville, but some open water near the spring out there is not helping the cause.  Lots of slush and snow forcing ice down, down, down....  water coming up through holes and making everything a mess.

However, temps are forecasted to take a real nosedive tomorrow evening, which should tighten up the nastiness for Saturday AM.  I'll be bringing the spud and adventuring out to the 42' break in Maple Springs saturday.  We should be okay, but caution is definitely the word.
im trying to keep up and dont know all the rules but ive talked to a few of you guys and would like to put faces with the screen names if I do or say something that is a no no  or ask bothersome questions its not from stupidity or arrogance just the want to learn more.. 50 yrs old and still wet behind the ears to speak  want to go out and catch a bunch.... good luck guys and stay dry...your heart will thank you..

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2010, 06:15 PM »
I'll be heading that way tomorrow and will fish burtis AM. Have a CLAM 5600 w/hub sides. Feel free to stop by for a swig of Captain!

Arrrg..

I'll be there early am.  Oldest Fish Trap II out there.

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2010, 07:24 PM »
I'll be there early am.  Oldest Fish Trap II out there.

I'll be out pretty early most likely...will look for you. Where do you usually go, just straight out? Isn't it 6 FOW every where? I was thinking of hiking up a little in front of ROD and GUN..any info much appreciated..

Just bought the FL-8 and its my first time out this year..really excited...like a little kid!

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2010, 07:31 PM »
It averages 6'.  As far as heading tward the R@G be careful that is a inlet channel.  I will be out to the left a little.  I would be interested in watching that flasher do its thing.

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2010, 07:34 PM »
It averages 6'.  As far as heading tward the R@G be careful that is a inlet channel.  I will be out to the left a little.  I would be interested in watching that flasher do its thing.

Oh yeah, forgot about that channel there...I'll look for you gamehog!

As mentioned first time using it, but have read and watched and read and watched so I think I may understand  ???

Offline prayingforice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2010, 07:44 PM »
I have a marcum that is still awaiting its maiden voyage.   Maybe I'll look for you in the am travis.
I was trying to decide wich way to go.  North to erie (has less snow) or east to chautauqua to look for future ice locations.
I've only ice fished the north end.  Where you park is the road by wally world right?

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2010, 07:50 PM »
I have a marcum that is still awaiting its maiden voyage.   Maybe I'll look for you in the am travis.
I was trying to decide wich way to go.  North to erie (has less snow) or east to chautauqua to look for future ice locations.
I've only ice fished the north end.  Where you park is the road by wally world right?

That's right, take a right at that light, R&G will be right in front of you take right at stop sign, lake on left park on right..

All their getting at SBH is smelt! If that's worth the trip for you..Ice is there though.

I'll be at Burtis also, come hit the Captain..

Arrrg...

Offline prayingforice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2010, 07:56 PM »
Hey dogg
You'll love that vex!  I never thought I'd like it.  WRONG! My son uses it now. I have new marcum that is still dry.  Can't wait to get it wet.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2010, 07:58 PM »
I wish I didn't have to work I'd head out there in the am, but I guess it's good to be working. I guess I really didn't think the reports board was getting bad, yet... I understand the idea of nipping it in the bud it will get cluttered when the fishing really gets going.  Hi to all.

Offline prayingforice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:01 PM »
I was talking about presque isle in erie.  That was where I fished most over the years.  But it is same distance for Chautauqua.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.