Author Topic: Lac la nonne  (Read 3791 times)

Offline 1972rookie

• IceShanty Rookie
Lac la nonne
« on: Dec 27, 2009, 08:59 PM »
Anyone ever do any fishing up at Lac la nonne?  Thinking about going there tmrw since pigeon and buck sound like they are slow.  Info on where to access the ice would be helpfull too!  Thanks!

Offline Koffee Kat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lac la nonne
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2009, 04:52 PM »
Plenty of access, it's just a b*tch getting to the actual lake from off of the secondary highways, I got lost a few times before...  If you search "Alberta Atlas of Lakes" (forgot the actual web-site) you can find some great maps of Lac la Nonne that may help you out to no end.  I recommend the south-end boat launch for access, though you'll have to get out quite a ways to hit deeper water (like 300 yards).  No easy spots to walk in & drop lines that I know of.  Good Luck!!

"Fishin' for a good time starts with throwin' in your line..." - Tom Waits

Offline 1972rookie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2009, 08:15 PM »
Plenty of access, it's just a b*tch getting to the actual lake from off of the secondary highways, I got lost a few times before...  If you search "Alberta Atlas of Lakes" (forgot the actual web-site) you can find some great maps of Lac la Nonne that may help you out to no end.  I recommend the south-end boat launch for access, though you'll have to get out quite a ways to hit deeper water (like 300 yards).  No easy spots to walk in & drop lines that I know of.  Good Luck!!
  Thanks very much!  Did not make it out there but will be trying soon.  Found out a co-worker has family living on the lake.

Offline Red Neck

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Start of a great day!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2009, 10:15 AM »
Any updates on fishn, heading to Lac la nonne tomorrow  ;D will post results Happy New year to all who seek the hard water

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2009, 12:15 PM »
Any updates on fishn, heading to Lac la nonne tomorrow  ;D will post results Happy New year to all who seek the hard water
MERCURY FILLED SLOUGH

Offline terny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2009, 12:55 PM »
in lac la nonne there is a rockbed on the east side of the lake by an island, its on the north side of this island, its extremely visable in the summer if you ever fished this lake. me and a few buddies have pulled some of the biggest fish of my life in this spot. i even lost what i suspected to be at least a 25lb pike at the boat. we fished this lake many weekends and we trolled through it all and had success everywhere really along the shore for eyes and pike, but the only thing we saw for size was this rock island. try to find it and hammer them there granted u would need to drive to this spot as its private land around the island and such. hope this helps.

Offline Koffee Kat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2009, 05:51 PM »
I made a sojurn out there today to try & find some walk-in spots.  Found a place after about 45 minutes of driving around the lake.  Got set up for sunrise & fished till 9:30 am - too cold to last much longer, was -30 out there at sun-up...  No hint of a walleye - drowned & froze a handful of worms at my jigging hole. BUT a big jack ran nearly to the end of my tip-up line at my second hole in the shallows & must have hunkered down in a weed bed because when I got it all on the ice all there was to show for it was my mangled 9" herring & weeds on the hook.  I REALLY wish i'd had a POLAR TIP-UP!  I did not even know about the jack till I was packing up, flag didn't spring, all frozen to crap...  Terny, your spot RULES for open water fishing with a boat, but can't be walked into for ice-fishing (would have liked that).

Offline terny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2009, 06:10 PM »
ive never personally iced fish on lac la nonne, im to much a chicken and probably a poor fisher pretending like my camera and bottle of whiskey might make things better bahaha..
i would love to go with someone on this site for some perch seeing as most of you know a thing or two about this stuff.

and is there any reason why a person cannot fish that area in the winter? is it just to far of a walk?

Offline Koffee Kat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2010, 01:42 PM »
I just don't drive on the ice per standard.  From what I saw of Lac la Nonne on Friday i'd say the lake isn't ready to be driven on (on the south east end anyway).  Only 11".  If i'm not mistaken, I think there is a lot of underwater springs too, leaving variances in ice thickness...  So, my advice to all heading here, don't drive it out till February or after another deep cold spell.

Offline terny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2010, 02:10 PM »
this might be a dumb question, but what exactly does a spring do in a lake.

Offline Koffee Kat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2010, 02:42 PM »
Keeps the water moving in a wide column in a certain area, so the ice above it takes a longer time to freeze - then you get thinner ice than the rest of the lake.  It's like comparing ice on a still pond to ice on a river... Read the ***Battle Lake Warning*** post for an example of what an underwater spring or current can do to a driver on the ice.  Scary stuff!

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2010, 02:47 PM »
And this is NOT TO TEMPT ANYONE....but,

The best fishing in the hardwater season I EVER had, was near a known underwater spring...the ice was sketchy...and looking back we were stupid to dare it....but a local told us about why the spot works and IT DID!!

The thing I found with a big DROP in temps at this spot was....I think this water runs into the lake at a colder temp....then the spot was garbage...just my experience.

Cheers!!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline Red Neck

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Start of a great day!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:06 AM »
We also went out on Saturday hit 4 of our old spots never got any eyes but the pike fishing was okay. Ice was at least 18'' we drove every were as did at least 6 other trucks? One of my favorite catch and release lakes fish are big and plentiful

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.