The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Put your auger away the right way!  (Read 4251 times)

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
Put your auger away the right way!
« on: Mar 15, 2004, 09:16 AM »
Next year I don't want to hear any complaints about their auger not running or its cutting or running like crap. So lets put them away the right way this year! Heres a few thing I thought of and if someone wants to add to it feel free.
1- Put in a full tank of gas oil mix with a little staybil. run the auger to get the fresh fuel through the carb.If your oil already has a stabilizer in it a little more will not hurt.  Do not drain it or run it out of gas this will only speed up the varnishing inside the carb. ( If you are experiancing problems with the way it runs, now is the time to either fix it or take it somewhere to get fixed)
2- Change the blades now this way when you need it next year it will be ready to go.
3-Check the recoil rope and replace it if you see it frayed.
4-Pull out the sparkplug and put a teaspoon of oil down the plug hole and slowly pull the recoil rope a few times to distribute the oil across the top of the piston this will keep the rings from scoreing the walls or seizing to it over the summer replace with same plug. Get new spare plugs if you do not have any
5-Check all nuts and bolts and replace any that are worn and tighten all that are loose
6-Here is one thing that you should do Start the auger at least once a month to push fresh gas through the carb if you do this you do not have to oil the cyl .
7- after doing all this pull it out next yr and you should have a trouble free year.You have all summer to either fix or send it out get it done now while you don't need it.
If anyone else wants to add to this list go right ahead
Cold Feet

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
Re: Put your auger away the right way!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:01 AM »
Seems like the two posts contradict themselves. Do you store an auger with or without fuel?

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:17 AM »
I run all the gas out of my auger.  Make sure you store the power head in a cool dry place.  The warm temps. of summer are what actually start the varnishing process. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:48 AM »
My power auger has always ran like crap, never worked from the beginning, defective, recalled motor, but no one at the store told us >:( >:( >:( >:(
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2004, 02:19 PM »
I always use to leave gas in my gas tank till the next year,until somebody said ,you no your suppose to drain your gas and run it out. Well ever since i started doing that i've had nothing but problems the next year. So i will leave my gas in the tank with stabil this year.
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Gillles

« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2004, 03:09 PM »
I've only had my auger for a year and wondered about this.  We need more input from the senior ice fishers.  Whats the best route to take?

Offline duketter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2004, 03:26 PM »
I don't think the issue of whether to keep gas in the tank or drain it completely will ever be resolved.  It is just like with snowmobiles and other similar machines.  Personally I fill the tank full and put stabil in it.  Run it a minute or two and let the gas mix around and store it.  But you go and talk to the guy next door and he drains it completely. 

I have heard if you don't drain it it starts to varnish....but if you do drain it, the seals start to dry up. ???

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2004, 03:56 PM »
We ave always left a full tank of gas and we have never had any problems. I was curious though since I bought a brand new Jiffy this winter and just wondered what the "proper" method was. Guess there isn't one......

Gillles

« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2004, 04:02 PM »
Where do you guys store the powerheads?

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2004, 06:23 PM »
Personally I drain all the gas I can, then start
the auger and let it run dry. I have had my Jiffy
for 25 years now and it has never failed me. I put in a new plug at the beginning of each season
and it usually starts the first or second pull.
I store the head upright in my attached garage which is dry and sometimes very warm.
I also drain the gas and run dry all of my small engines, etc. and so far haven't had any problem when I fill them with gas and start up again.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2004, 07:29 PM »
I suggested useing Stabil for the simple reason of takeing the guesswork out of the storage of the auger. In my past experiance the varnishing occures when the gas in the carb evaporates and leaves a resadue of the varnish inside the carb. Also I made a suggestion of pulling out the auger at least once a month and start it. This will replace any gas inside the carb and doing this will keep the carb from varnishing also. Either way you do it is totaly up to you. It was a suggestion to prepare yourself before the season is upon us next year. I truely don't believe either way is wrong but if you use stabil it takes the guesswork out of it. Cider stated he has never had a problem doing it his way. I can also say I have not had problems with my motors the way I do it. And I do not argue with success.
ColdFeet

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2004, 09:25 PM »
I guess everyone has their own way to put their auger up for the winter  and will do it "their own way," no matter what! Good luck everyone.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2004, 06:57 AM »
I put mine away the ez way grease blades and I'm done.I don't have to winterize the motor since it doesn't have one. ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2004, 08:59 AM »
Right on Polar ;)

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2004, 09:39 AM »
Check your owners manual before using sta-bil!  Some small engine mfgs. manuals warn that the use of sta-bil will void your warranty!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2004, 04:38 PM »
I start it once a month, gas additives or not. I also run the vex down once a month and then charge it up. Start lawnmowers and leaf blowers once a month in the winter, start snowthrowers once a month in the summer. I think I need a hobby. ;D
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

nuke1neil

« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2004, 07:28 PM »
I put mine in the corner with untreated gas and don't touch it til next season.I put a new plug in it usually at the start of the season.Been doing this with my Jiffy for 23 yrs.(same auger).Definitly not the recommended way but works for me.Runs like a top,and always has.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 17, 2004, 09:53 AM »
Cider: Briggs&Straton's manual say's NOT to use sta-bil. That's why I said to check your manual! I would hate to see someone void their warranty by useing the wrong product for their motor!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

mooseslayer

« Reply #18 on: Mar 21, 2004, 12:17 AM »
MY FATHER HAS A 30YR OLD JIFFY. HES HAD THE SAME PLUG IN IT FOR 6 YRS. RUNS CHEAP GAS + OIL IN IT AND HAS NEVER DONE ANYTHING TO IT BEFORE PUTTING IT AWAY. AND THE CARB. AND MOTOR HAVE NEVER BEEN TOUCHED! PRIME + CHOKE AND 2 PULLS SHE FIRES RIGHT UP AFTER SITTING UNSTARTED FOR 8 MONTHS. A AMAZING PIECE OF EQUIPMENT!!

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 21, 2004, 01:37 PM »
30 years ago they were made from better parts!  today well if you get one that runs really good out of the box and starts next yr well....you are a lucky man!  ok maybe i'm stretching it a little but you have to admit things aren't made like they used to be!
BUD

Mackinaw

« Reply #20 on: Mar 21, 2004, 08:53 PM »
Does anyone use fogging oil?  I tried it originally on boat motors and discovered it work so well I now use it on everything. I try to drain as much fuel as possible, run the engine dry then spray fogging oil into the carb and cylinders, close it all up tight and put it away.  Next time around simply put in fresh fuel and it starts immediately.

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Mar 23, 2004, 08:57 AM »
I go along with Mackinaw on the fogging oil and drained tank. Seems to work great for me and I change the plug once every 10 years or so. :)
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.