The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: deadman's  (Read 1069 times)

Offline BILCABFish

• IceShanty Rookie
deadman's
« on: Dec 23, 2009, 05:44 PM »
Caught 3 fish, 1 trout, two kokanee, 12"-14". Ice at shore was shallow but two feet off towards the middle was 10-12" Seemed slow and missed a bunch of bites.

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: deadman's
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2009, 10:53 PM »
do you fis deadmans often? i have been meaning to try it this winter for a change of scenery. i fished it from boat last year and caught both trout and koks. and of course had to try my damndest to catch a musky....hahhaha, yea right. do people even catch them thru the ice?

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2009, 11:01 PM »
they are called the fish of 10,000 casts, meaning of course they are not easy to catch. lol but yes you can can catch them through the ice.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2009, 11:21 PM »
i think ill stick to watchin in-fisherman when they slay em all the time, aka canada or the midwest. i dont think i could get myself to drive out there in hopes of catchin one thru the ice.

Offline BILCABFish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2009, 03:10 PM »
That was my first time fishing Deadman's, but I talked with another angler and they were fishing much shallower than we were and did much better. I would say less than 20 feet off the bank, and continuously jigging. Should be able to see them swimming by or at least checking out your bait. Water is down from what I hear. Gonna try it out sunday. Oh the other's weren't using bait like we were but I don't think it mattered much, just had to find a higher concentration of fish. They seem to be schooled up too because we would get a few hits at roughly the same time and then they were gone again. Missed about 8 fish, bites were solid for kokanee

Offline etsice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2009, 11:02 PM »
I heard that you have to snag the koks but it sounds like the do bite?
Any type of jig work better than others there?
A friend and I are planning a trip, just havent decided where to go yet.
Any info would be appreciated.
Places of interest: Cooney, Deadman's, Martinsdale, Castlerock, Yellowwater or Petrolia.
Help!
I will say I was of at Cooney 1 week ago and fished for 6 hours. Nothing.
A guy set up about 30 feet from me and had three out of the hole in 1 hour, then nothing for the rest of the day!!
Nice trout though!!
Thanks ahead of time

Montana...the first and last place I'll call home!!!

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2009, 11:10 PM »
I might try cooney on sat.  if i do i will report.  havent fished it this year.  but last year i had the same story as you.  got skunked 5 times then twards the end of ice i was hammerin them. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.