Author Topic: Indiana Proposed Bluegill limit.  (Read 10824 times)

Offline Daybreak

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Indiana Proposed Bluegill limit.
« Reply #30 on: Dec 23, 2009, 07:54 PM »
   I agree.  I think some of the lakes need individual attention.  Maybe size limits for some or quantity limits for others to maintain the resource. I have experienced the good that can happen when a fishery is managed correctly with the right limits for that body of water.  A walleye lake up north was being pillaged through the ice with multiple limits of 16" to 24" fish being removed daily from a main lake reef that was close to the public ramp.  The fishing remained good, but the size was always a little small throughout the summer.  Now, the slot size and smaller limits have built the fishery back where a lot of really nice fish can be returned for spawning again and lots of great eating fish is available to the fisherman year round. 
   My personal experience here in Indiana, was the removal of nearly 500 bluegills taken from the beds over a 3 day period last spring by two young men fishing a 116 acre lake.  I can only imagine how many of their friends also were on that lake those days.  I personally did not fish that lake this past year, but my fishing partner fished it several times and said he has never seen the quality of fish so small from this lake before.  Overharvest of even the prolific spawning bluegill can happen if we are not careful. 
   I, for one, will give my input when the state DNR asks for the public to help in the decision making process.

Offline Harley Hogger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 23, 2009, 07:57 PM »
theyd have to prove its bluegill meat ...id say kiss my A S S you cornhole CO ...then id say they were orange ruffy  ;D

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #32 on: Dec 23, 2009, 08:14 PM »
 EXCELLENT  topic TKO (brutha from anutha site). Your right... 50 gills or 10 squirrels is the POSESSION limit. If your storing others fish or squirrels, they better be name tagged with dates. Technically noones gonna chk the freezer. Theres a reason for limits, if its adopted, so be it.  Some lakes do need attention, some dont. I agree with the proposed daily bag but not the posession. As stated, 25 from the slough, 15 from a farm pond, 22 from bass lake, 13 from long lake. Heck thats all I need, but I,d be over the posession, THAT i dont agree with. Alot of good points on this...and all are valid...

for people with stupid remarks, and man....you,ve made it known so no need to point out, you look like an idiot, azzhole, and poacher in the same breath.

Offline Whale79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 23, 2009, 08:27 PM »
If your only allowed 50 in possession then why even have a daily bag limit? You can legally go out everyday catch and keep 25 panfish, no matter how ever many you have at home in the freezer. The possession limit is 50 on your person (not at home, in your garage or freezer). I could go to three different states and catch my limit the same day.
Fish ON!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #34 on: Dec 23, 2009, 08:37 PM »
Sorry whale, posession is what you have in YOUR posession, not on your person.Your posession is home, car freezer, bucket bag, glove box whatever.  25 caught today and 25 in the freezer would be in violation. The point of a limit on certain bodies of water would in fact be somewhat similar to a slot limit. Its all about conservation. THAT is a vague word but if limits or slots on certain bodies of water are warranted, I,m good with it. Maybe not posession limits, when it comes to fish. But I,m with those rules when it comes to rabbits, squirrels or any other game.

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #35 on: Dec 23, 2009, 08:40 PM »
. The possession limit is 50 on your person (not at home, in your garage or freezer).

110% WRONG

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #36 on: Dec 23, 2009, 08:55 PM »
This is straight from the 2009 Indiana Fishing Guide, published by the DNR:

The possession limit on all sport fish and frogs is two days’ daily bag limit.

Note it says "daily" bag limit.  There is a difference betweeen "bag limit" and "possession limit".

-Jeff

Offline ispoman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 23, 2009, 08:59 PM »
Who said anything about poaching? So if you dont agree with someone or something then youre an idiota$$hole? Interesting.

Offline mbluka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 23, 2009, 09:00 PM »
Look at what the 1 buck rule has done for the age structure or our whitetail herd. much nicer bucks being taken now.Protect our resources ,don't be a game hog. Take what you can use and throw some back especially our big fish,if your not going to put it on the wall then let it go and keep some small ones for the table they eat better anyway.

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #39 on: Dec 23, 2009, 09:35 PM »
Who said anything about poaching? So if you dont agree with someone or something then youre an idiota$$hole? Interesting.

ISP....IF your an idiot, anyone, posting stupid remarks, with no regard to stautes or limits? Your a poacher and an azzhole....yes. It definitely is interesting...

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 23, 2009, 10:25 PM »
Every year this disussion comes up.My guess is it won't happen state wide. Makes no difference to me. I'm tired of cleaning more than 25 gills at a time anyway.
Paul

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
« Reply #41 on: Dec 23, 2009, 11:30 PM »
Someone please tell me why you would need to keep more than 25 bluegills in one outing......I mean really. Lake Michigan set its lake perch limit from "no limit at all" to 15....talk about guys losing their minds.....but as with everything else....people get used to it.
Duane

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #42 on: Dec 24, 2009, 02:35 AM »
Luckily we dont have a COMMERCIAL FLEET on our inland waterways and have very few crashes of the forage base.
 argue all you want about weekend perch guys but the fact is lake michigans perch fleet reached over
100 million metric tons!
the damage had been done....to little to late.
just not the same animal.

i don't even eat fish but with the close to 100 gills over the last week here ya go.
about 25 went to the old guy who cant get out much (nam vet)
a few more than that went to a land owner who lets me park.
i made a couple pounds on wed night for us..
will take some to my old man on christmas...there ya go!
i now have none...... so sat i hope to bring home another 50
fish from public waters are property of the people of the state...so i share ;D
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline bradmoun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 24, 2009, 06:00 AM »
25 gills a day sounds like a good idea the possession linit would suck like many i feed my family with what i catch by the end of winter i would have 100 or so fillets that would last most of the summer 25 fish limit would stop those guys from bringing home 5 gallon buckets full of fish if they are going to change laws they need to do stiffer penalties to those who throw dinks on the ice to die :tipup:

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #44 on: Dec 24, 2009, 06:19 AM »
From the 2009 Indiana fishing guide....

"The possession limit on all sport fish and frogs is two days' daily bag limit.  Special possession and bag limits apply for trout and salmon on Lake Michigan(see page 17)."

As of right now the state does deem the bluegill a sport fish. 

And it does count what is in your freezer. 

I would like to add this bit of information concerning private water.........if there is a natural water way(creek,ditch,etc.) feeding into or coming out of that private body of water.  Then all bag limits and size limits do apply to that body of water.  Boating regs or licenses do not.  Just the fish end of it.

With all that being said.....I would like to see a 25 limit on gills......I will take my chances on the freezer thing.....because as I type this......I am illegal on that crappie thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline walleyerookie

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #45 on: Dec 24, 2009, 06:34 AM »
I'm for the daily limit, my thoughts on the possesion limit is, it's mainly put there for people who abuse the system. For the most part the times I've heard of people getting there homes search is when they were way outside the boundaries and law. They were abusers and deserved it. I think the avgerage joe who respects the laws and others has nothing to worry about. I try to live by the rule, "What goes around comes around". Hope that made sense.

Offline walkerd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 24, 2009, 06:42 AM »
Im all for the limit. Will make better fishing for everyone to enjoy not just a few who can live on the lake and take off buckets of fish and Im talking 5 gal buckets when the bite is on or got bigger cahoonas than everyone else who wont venture out on crappy ice. My two cents worth, I wish it was in affect now........

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 24, 2009, 06:47 AM »
WHY WHY WHY................... ....Would a person take more than 25 gills a day home with e'm.Well,I'll be the first to admit it,if they're 8",they go in my bucket.As alot of you know,I have no desire to eat fish.I've sat out on the Lake for 10 hours,and watched who was and who wasnt catchin fish,and when the day was over,Ide walk over and give the anglers who struggled my fish.Its not very often my bucket weighs anymore when I walk off,I'll get rid of my catch right there on the ice.So 25 gill limit is the least of my worries,but I'de be all for it if it EVER HAPPENS.

I know our district biologist personally,and we've had this conversation a couple times while he and a couple of his employees were doing Creel Surveys right out on the Ice.Its been talked about over the years,but talk is one thing,doing it is another.If I catch 65 keeper gills today,believe me,they will be feeding a family,and possibly 2-3 more.Until this becomes a state wide Law,b***hinnnn,moaninnnnn,grippinnnnn,cryinnnnnnnn isnt doing a dammmmm thing,if you're a believer in 25 gills,go get youre 25 gills,pack youre gear and go home is the best I can tell ya.Until its the Law,this skinny guy is gonna be jiggin away tryin to catch every fish in the Lake,

Jimmy Lang

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #48 on: Dec 24, 2009, 07:47 AM »
A friend of mine goes to Minn. every Labor Day and the lake they stay at has had a 5 a day Bluegill limit.Now I think this is only temporary but it is because of the large winter harvest.
Greg
Fish on!

Offline Edge

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Best Friends!
« Reply #49 on: Dec 24, 2009, 08:25 AM »
Bring on the limit! ;D

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 24, 2009, 08:53 AM »
 VR    voluntary restraint!

so whats the point of a daily limit and no possession limit? 500 gills in the freezer is 500 gills in the freezer!
who cares if you get there 25 at a time or 5 banger days of 100 each. sounds like alot of people want thier cake and eat it too. daily limit  AND stock pile at home. also if you want to save the dwindling gills how about a closed season in the spring when the largest fish are the easiest to catch...while on the beds! That would send a few extra fish swimming around!

no really it comes down to each angler being accountable for their own actions. Yes, i take alot of gills over the winter. however, i rarely have more than a few in the freezer at any time. There are days we stack'em and some days its better to just toss em back.

regulate yourself....plain and simple

Offline rcjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 24, 2009, 09:41 AM »
The possession limit is designed to keep someone from taking a limit up to their vehicle and putting them in a cooler and then going back out and catching another limit. The daily bag limit has to be enforced at the lake you are fishing, which applies to the lake, bank, parking lot, shore, etc. Once you leave the lake you can then possess twice the daily bag limit without being ticketed. Once the fish are transported and cleaned there is no limit on how many you can have in your freezer at your home. The reason for the daily bag limit being enforced at the lake itself is because the law applies to waters that require a license. There is no limit on a private pond nor is a license required, therefore the home freezer enforcement is a mute point. Anyone who says different needs to show one single example of someone who was ticketed for cleaned frozen fish in the freezer in their home. This discussion just went nuts. They are only trying to prevent people from taking buckets full.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 24, 2009, 10:04 AM »
The state had a HUGE increase in the sales of Indiana fishing license this year... Where is that money being spent, that's what we need to figure out?  I think Lake Erie is a perfect example, if a lake generates revenue for local businesses, and an abundance of tourism fishing, keep stocking it with the sales of fishing licenses (especially the out of state sales).  For somebody to say we need a gill limit, that will fix the problem, I can't say I agree, mainly because if your going to have more gills in your lake you're going to need more food to feed them, and if the body of water doesn't support the amount of supply (gills), you will end up with small gills.  Now your 6.5-7" limit of gills are less meat then 15 hogs.  In closing, a knee gerk reaction is not the answer, I want our DNR to hire more people, collect data for all the hard hit public lakes (we all know who which ones), and if a limit will help based on actual FACTS, great, limit or STOCK.  

I'll cross the bridge when I get there... Merry Christmas!
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 24, 2009, 11:08 AM »
I would agree to a 25 a day bluegill limit....But Not a possession limit...you can go to some grocery stores and get bluegill fillets by the pound...how could they regulate that ?

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #54 on: Dec 24, 2009, 11:32 AM »
About 5 years ago our crappie and Gill limit was dropped from 25 to 10 each on the main lake I fish. Some local fisherman lobbied the GFP to get this done because they felt to many fish were being taken. Makes no difference to me, I only keep fish by request. Cleening fish takes all the fun out of catching them.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 24, 2009, 11:56 AM »

so whats the point of a daily limit and no possession limit? 500 gills in the freezer is 500 gills in the freezer!
who cares if you get there 25 at a time or 5 banger days of 100 each. sounds like alot of people want thier cake and eat it too. daily limit  AND stock pile at home. also if you want to save the dwindling gills how about a closed season in the spring when the largest fish are the easiest to catch...while on the beds! That would send a few extra fish swimming around!

i agree with this. I fish lake michigan and lake erie in the spring and summer, along with playing a lot of golf. I keep all my gills in the winter. If i have a half a dozen bang up days and keep all the fish i am going to eat for the entire year while ice fishing, and don't waste any it shouldn't be a big deal. I am self regulating, at first glance it may appear that i am a game hog when i haul a full 5 gallon bucket off the ice, but that isn't the full story. Self Regulation.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 24, 2009, 12:00 PM »
here's a twist

i am searching the indiana codes currently to find it in writting:

if game or fish is in a prepared state in a freezer to a point it can be thawed and cooked it is not considered in the possesion limit...hmmm
thats from a "reliable" source but i'm gonna look into it...got some free time!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #57 on: Dec 24, 2009, 12:03 PM »
The DNR is not stupid.  They have access to other states results when they have limits on gills.  They also have information from lakes like willow Slough, and from many years past where they closed the season on some lakes during the spawn for a few years.  I have first hand information that closing the season during the spawn does NOT help the gill population.  It hurts it quickly.  Many years ago they did this on a lake we have a cottage on and the the overall size went from 8-10" fish to 6" fish in a few years.  The reason is every body of water has a carrying capacity for fish.  If you flood it with young of year fish, and people catch the 8"+ fish and keep them, the young fish won't get at big because there are so many of them.  A statewide limit on gills would hurt some lakes and help others.  Not every lake has the ability to produce bruiser gills.  They would be better off knowing which lakes have the ability and forage to produce big fish, get alot of pressure and apply the limits there.  Start with a few lakes, monitor the success and expand it to other lakes if it is working.  Bottom line is, if they don't have the ability to enforce it due to lack of manpower and funding, the limits will do no good.  there is a limit on Crappie and redear and I see them being violated often.  If you call, the person is usually gone by the time they show up 1-2 hours later.  Some people fish for the food and could care less about limits.  I fish for fun.  I eat them and give alot of fillet's away to those who love to eat them.  If there is a limit imposed, I will follow it, but many will not it will not accomplish what it is intended to do.

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Dec 24, 2009, 01:32 PM »
I totally agree with a 25 daily limit. I dont have 500 bg in the freezer. I may however have between 50 and 100. I am not doubting that the DNR has the authority to search and seize personal or private property. How many times has anyone heard of or personally experienced their homes being raided for over harvesting crappie? IMO= I dont think that 99% of the guys that I read about on this site would see any change at all from a imposed limit. There are however a few anglers that would be disappointed, and rightfully so. These are the people who are aimed at policing because of their lack of restraint. Its sad that we even have to talk about a bluegill limit. People should know when to pull the plug. I was fishing with a few members from this site several years back at a local lake. We got there early. I was hammering the gills that morning. I stopped to count @ 27 fish and pulled the plug. This was an hour into it. They asked me where I was going. I said home. How many fish do I want to clean? I have only had a few days like that in my life. I couldve easily filled a bucket or 2 and posted it on this site with a picture. Theres a fine line when it comes to restraint as stated earlier. Unfortunately we all will never agree on these issues. I am confident though that the majority of the people who use this site and ice fish are decent people with good self restrainting qualities. If they do set a limit, so be it. Maybe some good will come out of it.

Offline rcjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 24, 2009, 01:45 PM »
here's a twist

i am searching the indiana codes currently to find it in writting:

if game or fish is in a prepared state in a freezer to a point it can be thawed and cooked it is not considered in the possesion limit...hmmm
thats from a "reliable" source but i'm gonna look into it...got some free time!
That makes sense, otherwise say you shoot a buck and have it in your pickup truck. They follow you home and check your freezer and you have deer meat from a buck in there, same difference.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.