Author Topic: Any Copper Harbor Ice Yet?  (Read 3079 times)

Offline Prehnite44

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any Copper Harbor Ice Yet?
« on: Dec 20, 2009, 12:18 PM »
Curious if anyone has been up to see if the harbor has any ice forming yet? I don't want to miss first ice by too much if possible.

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
Re: Any Copper Harbor Ice Yet?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2009, 12:48 PM »
 http://www.copperharbor.org/copper_harbor_live_cam.htm                                                                                                                   
It's not as good as an actual report but will give you an idea of what's going on there.

Offline Prehnite44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2009, 02:22 PM »
I saw the webcam, but couldn't tell if the chunks of white ice were frozen in by good clear ice or if it was still water between the blocks.

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2009, 07:41 AM »
just skim ice ,,, less than 1",,, 10 - 12 days yet.
da splake chaser

Offline natorious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2010, 01:14 PM »
anyone out there have an ice report for the harbor?

Offline K-RONE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2010, 11:10 AM »
No ice, just spoke with a guy from the harbor two days ago.

Bobber down, flag up, fish on!!!

Offline yooperland

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2010, 11:58 AM »
I drove up to Copper Harbor to check the ice on 12/26. The ice was starting to form up past the 10th street dock, although there was open water near the shoreline. The weather was nice and we fished off of the dock; saw 10+ fish; caught 5 (4 splake, 1 burbot). Went back on 12/31 hoping to get out on the ice, but found that all of the ice (except for thin slushy patches inside of the marina) was gone. It was extremely cold and windy. Fished for a short time off of the dock and caught 2 splake. Nearly froze in the process.

Offline Prehnite44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2010, 12:29 PM »
Thanks Yooperland. Would you be also willing to provide a size estimate report? Maximum splake size so far, burbot?

Offline natorious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2010, 11:41 AM »
Thanks alot for the report!  Hopefully this cold weather will start to lock the ice up.  I fished earlier this year at Lake Fanny Hooe two times, but didn't not have any luck.  The ice was good.  And there are splake and eye's in there.  So if you ever head up to harbor and the ice isn't good, fanny hooe can be productive.

Offline Prehnite44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2010, 12:09 PM »
From the east end webcam, there is ice, any real reports of ice conditions on the western end?

Offline Captain Larry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2010, 03:24 PM »
No ice in Copper Harbor

Offline Keweenaw Angler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2010, 06:05 PM »
Are the banks in Copper Harbor clear enough to cast from? How about the docks at the marina?
How much ice does Lake Fanny Hooe have?
Where is the best place for splake in Fanny Hooe?
I'm going to Copper Harbor Sunday, no matter what!!! I made some jigs and I'm just itching to try them out.

Offline natorious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:12 PM »
The ice should be good at fanny hooe.  There was at least 6 inches three weeks ago.  You can access Fanny Hooe from Fort Wilkens, the boat launch on US41, or at the south end of the lake near Fanny Hooe resort.  I'd say your best bet for splake is in 4-15 ft

Offline K-RONE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2010, 04:20 PM »
I'll be down there tonight I'll check the Harbor for ice. Anyone have and good spots for Splake on Fannyhoe? Never fished it before not even in the summer. Any advice would be helpful.

Offline Keweenaw Angler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:16 AM »
NO! But I still got 8 splake between 12" and 18" up there. The best way was a jig and a bobber at about 6'-8'(with bait of choice, I only had night crawlers) and letting the wind carry it out and the waves do the jigging. Next time I do this I'll put some sort of floating fly line treatment on my line above the bobber the first time it goes out. This way the line wont sink as fast, eventually slowing down or stopping my bobber on its way out.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2010, 05:14 PM »
I'm new to the area and looking for a decent place to do some fishing. Copper Harbor ice fishing worth the drive from Houghton?

Offline Prehnite44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2010, 05:23 PM »
I'm new to the area and looking for a decent place to do some fishing. Copper Harbor ice fishing worth the drive from Houghton?

When it's frozen, it is usually a fun place that is worth the drive. The fishing is often either really good, or really bad, but if you don't mind the drive for the scenery and clear water, it is always worth it (even if you get skunked). There are some really big fish out there, few and far between, but often enough 12"ers to keep you entertained and something to look at down the hole at.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2010, 05:32 PM »
Well, I'm used to gettin skunked up here so far. Been out 3 times with nothing to show for it. I don't know the lakes yet and don't have a fish finder....so i'm at a bad disadvantage.

Offline K-RONE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2010, 11:58 AM »
How is the ice in Copper Harbor?

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2010, 12:18 PM »
How is the ice in Copper Harbor?

What ice?  ;-)  Was up in that neck of the woods Sat and Sun.  What little there was was slush for the most part on Sun.
Chris Raymond

Offline natorious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2010, 07:38 PM »
I have a feeling if the ice ever forms in the harbor the fish will be active this year.  I heard many good reports throughout the fall.  Does anyone know when the ice was good last year?? I want to say it was around early January?? 

acrawfor..very fun and unique area to fish.  If you go once and get skunked though, don't get discouraged.  Those days will happen in the harbor.  If you have a shanty, the water is so clear you do not need a depth finder either.  I can't wait myself for the ice to form!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.