Author Topic: What is the best ladling method?  (Read 4647 times)

Offline Crawlerman

• IceShanty Rookie
What is the best ladling method?
« on: Dec 18, 2009, 06:47 PM »
I have the steel ladle with holes in it. Is there a better way?
 Always ends up frozen solid after a while when fishing without a shanty.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What is the best ladling method?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2009, 07:21 PM »
I have a cheap plastic scoop.. I just hit mine on the ice to clean it off..  works ok for me..

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2009, 08:22 PM »
That's all I use is a metal one. If the ice gets on I just break it off or if in the hut leave it infront of the heater.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2009, 09:49 PM »
I used this scooper for a few seasons-- great product which eventually broke

http://www.tackletamer.com/iceskimmer.html
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2009, 04:52 AM »
I have both metal and plastic.

I prefer the plastic for fresh holes or outside.  Just tap the freeze and ice falls off.

The metal is better for inside, open floor shack when it's really cold.  Lay it next to heater, ice falls off.  Also metal is good for hole edging and cleaning of skim ice.

Best method...slow down and take your time and drain water.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Whale79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2009, 04:58 AM »
Plastic scoop with metal handle is the only way to roll
Fish ON!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2009, 10:49 AM »
I use a plastic scoop with a long wooden handle both inside and out.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2009, 03:45 PM »
I had a plastic scoop with a plastic handle when I first started out.  It didn't take long for the plastic handle to break.  I made a new handle out of aluminum.  Definately not going to break again!
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline john t.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2009, 03:52 PM »
i use the plastic scoop with the metal handle. but i give the kids the all plastic ones. they go through about 4 or 5 a year, they eather break or go down the hole.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2009, 04:46 PM »
I use the plastic ones to clear a newly drilled hole. Just reach in with my hand while fishing to skim out buildup as I go.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2009, 11:43 PM »
a flour wisk
How are the edges ?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2009, 02:03 AM »
A flour wisk???  How about a deep fryer strainer ladle.  Always wanted to try one of those.  Could be doing fish fry one moment, then be clearing ice holes.  Multitask, people always say at the workplace.  Do they really know what mutitasking is?  ;D

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2009, 08:11 AM »
  Do they really know what mutitasking is?  ;D

Generally walking and chewing gum at the same time is as far as they can go ...

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2009, 09:29 AM »
I have a cheap plastic scoop.. I just hit mine on the ice to clean it off..  works ok for me..

yep me too, plus they are cheap to replace and the metal handles are easy to bent for comfort.

J-

Offline DEADONDYLAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2009, 03:59 PM »
A flour wisk???  How about a deep fryer strainer ladle.  Always wanted to try one of those.  Could be doing fish fry one moment, then be clearing ice holes.  Multitask, people always say at the workplace.  Do they really know what mutitasking is?  ;D
                                                                                                                                                                                                                         deep fryer ladle is what it looks like genz uses in his videos/ on the vex

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2009, 05:18 PM »
I have some of Jiffys Teflon coated "Chipper Dippers" and they are very solid. I also have several HT poly flex dippers with the metal handle. I bolted th ehandle onto the plastic scoop becaus it would come off. Going to be trying out the new dipper I made this year. I couldn't find a good small scoop that is small enough for a 4" auger. I machined the scoop out of UHMW polyethylene, dyed it blue and made a handle out of 1/8"x1/2" aluminum. Should work well and not freeze up, it also doubles as a minnow scooper.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2009, 05:21 PM »
Anyone use the slush inhaler by strikemaster?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2009, 06:23 PM »
Anyone use the slush inhaler by strikemaster?
I do in my drop down house.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline xeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2009, 10:29 PM »
If it freezes up bang it against your boot. I use a plastic vegetable scoop, and after each hole i clean i just give it a quick whip to get the water off.

Offline ice wizard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Rip Lippin'
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2010, 09:07 PM »
Believe it or not a minnow net works the best if it freezes just drop it in the minnow bucket

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2010, 01:38 AM »
I spent 15 bucks on a plastic scoop about 4 years ago.  Got it a Bass Pro.  The handle is 4 feet long so no bending over.  Also has a ruler on it to measure ice thickness....just hook the end of the scoop on the bottom of the hole and you know EXACTLE how thick the ice is.  And the big bonus is that it floats.....my 5 year old dropped both  of my metal ones in the holes years ago and decided that this was the way to go.  I foget the name brand but it is an awesome tool!!!
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2010, 02:24 PM »
Lost mine down the hole yesterday, bought the same model for 7 bucks this am. Its the metal one with the small chisel head on the opposite end. Works great and just give it a few hits on the ice or my boot to clear it off.

Offline ice wizard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Rip Lippin'
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2010, 09:12 PM »
Lost mine down the hole yesterday, bought the same model for 7 bucks this am. Its the metal one with the small chisel head on the opposite end. Works great and just give it a few hits on the ice or my boot to clear it off.
I'm telling you guys try the mesh minnow net out of your minnow buckets, after you clean out your hole with it put it back in the minnow bucket and it is good to go if you need it again no freezing TRY IT

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2010, 09:21 PM »
I used to do the mesh minnow ladle...works.  But I like the plastic scoop for minnows way better than a wet mesh net.  Less water on the hand.

Offline ICE KID

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got perch?
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2010, 01:56 PM »
I spent 15 bucks on a plastic scoop about 4 years ago.  Got it a Bass Pro.  The handle is 4 feet long so no bending over.  Also has a ruler on it to measure ice thickness....just hook the end of the scoop on the bottom of the hole and you know EXACTLE how thick the ice is.  And the big bonus is that it floats.....my 5 year old dropped both  of my metal ones in the holes years ago and decided that this was the way to go.  I foget the name brand but it is an awesome tool!!!

Does it happen do be made by frabill, sounds like one I just bought, yellow scoop with black handle, I mainly bought it because it looked like it would be easier to nock off ice on it compared to the metal one, plus me and dad using the same one get's to be a pain when your over  100 yards away from one another and you have to clear your holes out every 6 min.
give me 5 good reasons to head home and I'll pretend to consider it.

Offline JIMC_ND

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2010, 11:29 AM »
I like the big dipper.  http://www.mrsolsonslefse.com/bigdipper/index.htm  Fast, tough, and it floats...

Offline d3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pay attention as the kids are always watching
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2010, 01:48 AM »
Does it happen do be made by frabill, sounds like one I just bought, yellow scoop with black handle, I mainly bought it because it looked like it would be easier to nock off ice on it compared to the metal one, plus me and dad using the same one get's to be a pain when your over  100 yards away from one another and you have to clear your holes out every 6 min.

Sounds to me like you also need hole covers if you are cleaning them that often lol lol.  I also use the metal scope with chisel and a hook on the top end I bought a cheaper model for my 5 year old which I have been training him not to play around so he does not drop it in like I did when I was a little guy.  I have to put a rope with some type of floataion on it before it does go down as we all know it is just a matter of time.

D3

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 16, 2010, 01:59 AM »

I think it is the fraybill.  Yellow and black and made with sturdy plastic.  How are you liking yours?
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline ICE KID

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got perch?
« Reply #28 on: Feb 16, 2010, 05:32 PM »
I think it is the fraybill.  Yellow and black and made with sturdy plastic.  How are you liking yours

so far so good, only had it out once, my dad likes the idea of not having to bend over to scoop out holes, but he also wishes it could fit well in a 5 gallon pail, whatcha to do but go out and buy a an extending skimmer,doubt it will happen though, ;D
give me 5 good reasons to head home and I'll pretend to consider it.

Offline Flypopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 23, 2010, 08:00 AM »
I have The Big Dipper, hockey stick handle and heavy plastic scoop. It's heavy duty!! I use it to clean the snow up before flipping the top down, kinda big for 7" or smaller holes but they do make a smaller version

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.