Author Topic: leaders on tip ups  (Read 3555 times)

Offline woodfolks

• Team IceShanty Regular
leaders on tip ups
« on: Dec 18, 2009, 04:36 PM »
Who uses leaders on tip ups
what kind color and how long
what kind of hook at the end

do you use mono on the line,
whats your set up

Thanks

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Re: leaders on tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2009, 07:10 PM »
For pike I usually use a Super braid, 20 to 30 lbs test.
Usually I rig with a quick strike rig with #6 treble hooks.

For Trout / Walleye I use #8 lb Berkley Transition Florocarbon.

The leaders are usually 3 to 6 feet long,  and the trebles are usually #12 to #20.

At the bottom of my dacron tip up line, I tie on a snap.  I make my leaders at home, and tie a loop knot on the top end so that I can change leaders easily out on the ice.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline ctibbetts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2009, 09:41 AM »
Except for toothy critters, I use maxima fly fishing tippet in 3x size.  It's rated for 7 to 9 lb test, depending on style and very fine diameter.  I used to use 3 feet with no probs, but guys have convinced me to move up to 8 to 10 feet.  I use a #8 or #10 octopus hook for most fish with live shiners, etc, but will sometimes use a #4 or #6 when there's a lot of yellow perch around because they tend to swallow the smaller hooks beyond the point of no return.

The truth is, when I was a kid I just hooked an eagle claw snelled bait keeper hook on the end of my ice line- probably a number 2 hook.  Caught a lot of fish too.  Once I "learned" I was doing it wrong, it stopped working.

See, by asking questions you've gone and made things harder on yourself.  Think I'm kidding- watch some five year old haul in the fish some day ;)
There's no chin under Chuck Norris's beard- only another fist.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2009, 09:52 AM »
it depends on the spieces but i never use anything shorter than 4' for lakers i use 8#mono for pike i use a heavy flourocarbon like 15#+,for trout and salmon i use tipit material for fly fishing like 5#or6#

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2009, 02:55 PM »
I fish primarily for pike, and I only use black steel leaders with snaps.
I tried 30# flouro leader a couple years ago. I lost a lot more fish, and I guarantee none of them were even close to 15#. Their teeth make easy work of it, especially when setting the hook.  I stick to the steel leaders. Nothing more disappointing than losing a fish because he bit through your setup.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2009, 08:02 AM »
For trout I use 8 or 10 pound mono and I tie it ten feet long.  I usually fish it 8 to 10 feet below the ice and by having it ten feet long I always know how deep Im fishing. 

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2009, 08:22 AM »
Most of the time I am using 6 ft. Seaguard Fluorocarbon leader with a Cross lock snap swivel and a Quick strike Rig with Double Rider hooks. For Pike I use a single strand coffee colored stainless leader and this year I am going to try out some Titanium, also with Quick Strike Rigs.
Tight Lines,
Allan Butler
Light Lines Guiding

Offline CJW

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2009, 07:02 PM »
3 ft. of 10 lb. seagaur fluorocarbon with a size 10 VMC treble for walleye.

Basically same setup for pike just 30 lb. fluoro and quick strike rig or treble.

Offline SweetValleyYoungblood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2010, 05:47 PM »
I tie a snap swivel to my braided line, and tie about 5-6 ft. of 8lb flouro to the other end of the swivel with a split shot or two about 1-1/2 feet above the treble hook.

Offline freezer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2010, 05:53 PM »
Braid Line -> small swivel -> 2-3 feet of 6 lb mono -> #2 hook

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:36 AM »
20 lb. braid ->snap swivel -> 6-12Lb leader that we have pre-rigged, depending on what we are fishing for.  When I say pre-rigged, we tie a large loop in the mono at one end(large loop means you can change without removing gloves) and appropriate size treble tied on the other end with appropriate sized split shot on leader.  Then we wind them onto a leader keeper like you would use for crawler harnesses.  This method makes for fast leader changes, and is a lot easier to re-rig on the ice.  Plus it is a lot easier to make up leaders at the kitchen table than it is on a wind-swept lake.
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2010, 09:39 PM »
Here are what I use for leaders.

Offline rubline

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2010, 06:31 PM »
  Barrel swivel,  6' of florocarbon P-line, with a Gamatsku octopus hook size 4 red in color. I have not fished for pike but I do fish one lake with them in it.  So far I have had great luck with this setup and have caught fish in every lake we have been to.

Hope this helps.  Aaron

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.