The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Glendo Ice Reports  (Read 4493 times)

Offline jignpig

• IceShanty Rookie
Glendo Ice Reports
« on: Dec 17, 2009, 03:34 PM »
Gents,
Anybody been over to Glendo lately... Been looking at the weather up there and looks like it has been awful warm...?

Thanks!

Offline gray goose

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Glendo Ice Reports
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2009, 06:05 PM »
fish reno cove today about 5 in. of ice. caught couple of perch around 12n. & couple crap. seen couple guy cross to the east side with a four wheeler.brave , be safe....

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2009, 07:11 PM »
hey goose did the ice stiffen back up over night? 
Don

Offline jignpig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2009, 08:27 PM »
Yikes!  A four wheeler?  What kind of shape was the ice in?  5 inches of good ice or soft ice?
Thanks for update by the way!!!

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is the sport of drowning worms
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2009, 11:33 PM »
That isn't the smartest thing in the world to do!

Offline gray goose

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2009, 06:34 AM »
ice was good in morning in the afternoon it had a little water on it in places, but i don'tthink i would put a 4 wheeler on it . it good to walk on.

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2009, 08:33 AM »
How were the edges?
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline jignpig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2009, 10:19 AM »
Goose, would you say the ice was good enough to cross to the mountain?  I guess if the wheeler made, a guy on foot should if the ice didn't get too shady...

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2009, 10:50 AM »
Do most target channel cats near or around "the mountain"?
So many fish, so little time.

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2009, 10:52 AM »
Do most target channel cats near or around "the mountain"?

Walleye and perch, mostly.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2009, 11:22 AM »
Let me restate my question. If a guy were wanting to target channel cats through the ice, where would be a good place to start? (general location) I don't need your GPS or anything.

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2009, 11:38 AM »
Let me restate my question. If a guy were wanting to target channel cats through the ice, where would be a good place to start? (general location) I don't need your GPS or anything.

I PM'd you one location, the other that I haven't fished at all is around Bennett hill. I talked to a couple guys who caught a bunch of cats there last year. The cats in Glendo are big, I would bet the ones I've caught through the ice average over 10 lbs. There are also a good number of Blue cats and when you're catching cats, you can bet on a few Blues. Blues are the best eating catfish there is.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2009, 11:49 AM »
Thanks a bunch Augergas.

I am 100% sure that there are no blue cats in the state of WY. I think these blues you speak of are large channel cats that have a darker color. From what I've read Catfish color has everything to do with wintering location. Example: If a cat sees very little sunlight in the fall and winter months they will be much darker than one who winters in mid-depth holes.

You can tell the difference between a channel and blue cat by the # of anal fin rays and the shape of that fin. A channel cat has a rounded anal fin and a blue cat has a distinctive squared off look.

I will for sure post a report and pics if I have any success for channels through the ice.

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2009, 11:58 AM »
Thanks a bunch Augergas.

I am 100% sure that there are no blue cats in the state of WY. I think these blues you speak of are large channel cats that have a darker color. From what I've read Catfish color has everything to do with wintering location. Example: If a cat sees very little sunlight in the fall and winter months they will be much darker than one who winters in mid-depth holes.

You can tell the difference between a channel and blue cat by the # of anal fin rays and the shape of that fin. A channel cat has a rounded anal fin and a blue cat has a distinctive squared off look.

I will for sure post a report and pics if I have any success for channels through the ice.

I'm going to have to scrounge around for some pictures...

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2009, 04:27 PM »
I have caught many Channel Cats that really resemble the blue cats....
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline gray goose

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2009, 07:15 PM »
the edges are all right, they are a little soft ,but you can git on . 2 guy crossed yesterday. ice was freezing tonight at dark when we left. the fishin was slow, 1big perch and 8 small walleyes. fished reno again, got try new spot..

Offline mulebarnmax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2009, 01:03 AM »
Maybe it's just my CRS but I thought The G&F put some blues in the Platte River a few years back. I don't catch enough to know the difference though but they are really fun to try to land. If someone wants to send me some tips and locations I'd be plum tickled to try for some.  ;D
We fished Glendo today near the marina, 5 inches of ice, 30 holes or so, zero fish. ???  Did mark a bunch of shad on the vex though and saw lots of dead ones in the ice.
No jet skiers, no bugs...how can you not like ice fishing??

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here kitty kitty kitty.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2009, 02:19 AM »
The game and fish would clarify whether or not there are blue cats in there.  Give them a call.

There are not.

Males, in particular are more blue in color.  (Channel Cats)

If you don't believe me ask the G&F
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline mulebarnmax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2009, 06:16 AM »
My bad MJ.  I'm only in the onset of CRS. It was Flathead cats that I was thinking of. Don't really know their distinguishing features either other than fight hard, fun to catch.  While I'm off topic, does anyone wish Glendo had white bass or something else to eat up all those shad?
No jet skiers, no bugs...how can you not like ice fishing??

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2009, 07:10 AM »
I think the walleye, perch and crappie do a pretty good job at eating them.  I am sure the cats in there help as well.
Don

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2009, 03:11 PM »
White bass would probably stunt everything else.  Although I do love white bass.

I don't remember if wipers breed or not.  If they don't, maybe a couple hundred of those would be fun. 

The catfish in Glendo more than likely take care most of the dead shad.  I imagine the crayfish help out a bit too. 

I'll post some pics later showing how similar a male channel cat can look to a blue cat.

Good luck!
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2009, 05:10 PM »
it was 9° in glendo this morning, it did not look like it got much above freezing down there.

there was 2 atv's out on the ice south of reno.  I drilled a few holes on the way to the mountain and most of it seemed to be in the 5-6 range.  some places a little less, some a little more.  Planks were needed to get on and off the ice, how ever I did see some people get on with out using planks.   
Don

Offline jignpig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2009, 06:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies!  Anybody make it out over the weekend?  I am going to try and get up there Tuesday, if I do I will let you guys know how the fishing and ice look...

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2009, 04:06 PM »
There was fish every where we went saturday, watched them on the vexilar and the camera, unfortunatley the only thing that wanted to bite were the carp :(.
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline Reeldeal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2009, 07:28 AM »
How's the ice holding up at Glendo?

Offline jignpig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2009, 10:34 AM »
Fished Yesterday... Ice was soft around the edges, further out it was good a little cloudy but hard.  Caught a lot of little eyes, one good one all on jigging raps and buckshot spoons. My buddy "Big Jig" caught a nice catfish too.

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2009, 02:16 PM »
THANKS FOR THE INFO WHERE DID YOU FISH AT, AND HOW DEEP???

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2009, 05:47 PM »
Thanks for the reports coming from Glendo! Keep them coming!!! ;D

I'm glad to hear that there are minnows available up there. 

Has anyone found any crappie this year? Only managed one last year at Reno.  Was good sized though.
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline crazy4ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 23, 2009, 09:50 PM »
Fished Yesterday... Ice was soft around the edges, further out it was good a little cloudy but hard.  Caught a lot of little eyes, one good one all on jigging raps and buckshot spoons. My buddy "Big Jig" caught a nice catfish too.
what pound line do you use?planning on going but want to be prepared...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.