Author Topic: Arctic Armor VS Ice Armor  (Read 7428 times)

Offline Fins

• Team IceShanty Regular
Arctic Armor VS Ice Armor
« on: Dec 15, 2009, 03:25 PM »
 I can't make up my mind which 1 to get. I'm leaning towards the arctic armor. As far as the ice armor, do i go with the gray or is the blue enough?  I do most of my fishing with out a shanty.

Offline diddlepole

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Arctic Armor VS Ice Armor
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2009, 03:30 PM »
I was going to buy a suit last year, but opted for getting a new hunting suit instead.  Its totally waterproof, and warm, plus it serves a duel purpose......I can wear it hunting, and ice fishing!

Offline Whale79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2009, 03:53 PM »
I have the blue suit and it is great. Like anything else it's all about layering. I too do most of my fishing out in the open. Save yourself a $100 and get the blue suit over the gray.
Fish ON!!!!!!!!!!

Offline sonar man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GILL MASTER
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2009, 05:16 PM »
I just bought the arctic armor plus suit and love it. Its real warm just buy it two sizes big..

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2009, 05:45 PM »
If you get Ice Armor go with the greysuit. It's insulated with a zip out lining. I love mine and I just got it this fall. That being said the only other thing is: Float and not. I don't venture without a spud so Ice Armor was my choice.

Offline Vexilar Prowler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They re always where ya find em!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2009, 06:21 PM »
I bought the blue suit last year and i love it!  Its nice to be able to alter the layering and use the coat as a windbreaker later in the season near ice out when the temps are around 35 to 40 degree's

Offline Gibby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2009, 06:23 PM »
    I got the Artic Armor in camo couple of years ago, I like it. Have not tred the floation part and hope the nobody has to go through that experence. I take the coat off in the shantie and unzip the bibs.      Gibby :)

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2009, 07:33 PM »
I also bought the Arctic Armor last season and am very pleased with it.  Keeps me plenty warm and has lots of pockets.  I haven't checked out the floatation feature either, and hope I never need to!!

-Jeff

Offline Fins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2009, 09:46 PM »
If you get Ice Armor go with the greysuit. It's insulated with a zip out lining. I love mine and I just got it this fall. That being said the only other thing is: Float and not. I don't venture without a spud so Ice Armor was my choice.

I was leaning towards the arctic for the float. I'm not the first 1 out or the last, so i think the ice will work. Prob go with the grey. Thanks for the info.

Does anyone have the snowsuit? Is it worth the money?

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2009, 01:46 PM »
Pretty simple choice IMO.

Artic Armor you float you if you go swiming.

Ice Armor won't float you if you go swiming.

Carhartt's are worse yet!

Is it worth a $100 to you, to be able to float if you go thru the ice?

I talked with a guy a few weeks ago who tipped his canoe over when he was going to his spot deer hunting. He said it was nearly imposible to stay afloat with his hunting suit in the 10 or 12' deep run he was in. Fortunately he was able to float with the canoe to shallow water and get out. He decided at that time he would never use has canoe in the cold water again. He now knows about the Artic Armor and has purchased a Artic Armor Camo suit. He plans to hunt the same place getting there in his canoe next year.

I can't make up my mind which 1 to get. I'm leaning towards the arctic armor. As far as the ice armor, do i go with the gray or is the blue enough?  I do most of my fishing with out a shanty.
Bruster

Offline USMC 1371

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2009, 02:59 PM »
Loved my blue suit!
Until some punk smashed my window and took the coat. >:(
(if anybody spots some hoodrat with a ice Armor coat in GR let me know)

Offline krayfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2009, 04:26 PM »
imo   i think the gray ice armour suit is made with way better quality,and if ur scared of going in the drink take a life jacket.

Offline PIKEKILLER1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2009, 04:31 PM »
It's a nobrainer do u want to live artic armour U will freaze to death before you drown

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2009, 04:35 PM »
Artic Armor is lightweight, very warm...  and it floats!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2009, 05:19 PM »
I don't think any one plans on falling thru the ice, but it seems a safe bet any of those who have gone thru the ice and not made it would
likely have if they had the Artic Armor on.
Look at the video clip below.
http://idigear.com/video-fox.php

imo   i think the gray ice armour suit is made with way better quality,and if ur scared of going in the drink take a life jacket.
Bruster

Offline icerink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2010, 11:52 AM »
I've worn my new Artic Armor for a about a week now. It seems to be warm but the inside of my suit is always wet. Not cold, but wet. Anyone else have this problem?

Offline Tipup Master

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad start to the day!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2010, 12:04 PM »
I just purchased a Ice Armor blue suit.  I too had a hard time deciding between the blue and grey.  So far, the blue has worked real well.  I've been out in 20 Deg F on a windy day and was very comfortable.  Like everyone says.......you need to have multiple layers on for warmth.  Under the bibs, I wear long underwear (not cotton) and my wool hunting pants.  Under the coat......I wear long underwear, hooded sweatshirt and a light fleece pullover.  I've been very comfortable so far and I like that it will work if I take out my shanty. 

Offline TK81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2010, 02:42 PM »
I've worn my new Artic Armor for a about a week now. It seems to be warm but the inside of my suit is always wet. Not cold, but wet. Anyone else have this problem?

Arctic Armor does not breathe very well.  If you work up a sweat walking to your spot or drilling your holes, you will stay sweaty.  Take the coat off while you auger or at least unzip it when you're dragging your sled.  If you have a layer or two under, you'll warm right back up.  Use moisture wicking underwear and you'll be fine.  Cotton will retain the moisture.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2010, 03:31 PM »
Ya don't want to work up a sweat while wearing it. I have gone to the lake after blowing snow and my sweatshirt was damp. I could feel the coolness of the damp sweatshirt, but I didn't feel like I was cold. I have worn my AA jacket while blowing and shoveling snow. When I came back inside, the jacket was damp inside. As someone said, wear moisture wicking clothes under it.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline BigG3206

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2010, 11:22 PM »
I bought the Grey suit last year.  It is very warm.  Almost too warm sometimes.  I love it!

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!!

Offline coyotecallinfool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2010, 11:59 AM »
Thanks for all the comments everyone.  I was having a tough time deciding and then the boss saw the price and thought I was crazy to spend the money until she watched the Fox News video clip on the Artic Armor floating.  Suddenly she was pushing me to buy a set so it is ordered and on the way...can't wait to try it out.  The cold snap would make it pretty useful this weekend but it looks like the carharts will get at least one more trip....
It's All Good but some is better than others....

Offline chezmoose

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2010, 07:14 AM »
I bought the Arctic Armor in camo last fall so I could wear it deer hunting also. So far I am very pleased with it except for the fact that the ankle straps tore off the 2nd time I put the bibs on. I can't believe how much lighter weight it is and how much more mobile I feel than in my old Carhartts. I agree with the comments about it getting damp inside though. I just wear the Under Armor base layer and a light fleece jacket underneath and have yet to get cold.

Official Treasurer of the M.I.R.C.
                                    Membership dues payable now

Offline stoph

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2010, 01:28 PM »
 i got the aa plus suit this yr, LOVE IT!!! not one complaint from me, its so thin and lightweight i didn't believe it would keep me warm. I've used it about 8 x's in temps down to -30 c, no shanty, no worries!

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:46 PM »
I just purchased the blue Ice Armor this evening. Tomorrow cant come soon enough to try it out.

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2010, 12:16 PM »
Go with the ice armor grey suit.  The arctic armor imo is horrible.  I have had the jacket for 2 seasons, and its seen ALOT of time on the ice.  IT DOES NOT BREATHE AT ALL.  If you sweat at all and wear breathable clothing the inside quilting of the jacket holds the moisture, as soon as you take it off, you get a nice frosty film on the inside........sucks.  Just picked up the snosuit, because im sick of being cold in the arctic armor.

I thought a float suit was a good idea, but in actuality, your doing something wrong if you go through ;)

Offline panfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2010, 03:53 PM »
I got the Ice Armor Blue Suit for Christmas this year. Its awesome. Two days in a row at 3 degrees to start and never got over 11 degrees. I had blue jeans, a thermal top, sweatshirt, and a hooded sweatshirt on. Nothing else. I wasn't in a shack and spent most of my time kneeled down on the ice. Didn't get cold one bit except for the face. And stayed dry. Unbelievable, I am sold and the craftsmanship is great. Good Luck.

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2010, 04:05 PM »
  I was thinking about it also. My wife saw the same thing on Fox news and was convinced  it was pretty good because it floated . She said 2 things to me
     1) Is your life insurance paid up ?  I said it sure is . 2) then she said why spend all that money when you have  perfectly  good sweat shirt and sweat pants just sitting in your dresser !!  Hummmmmm .

Offline blue98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2010, 11:35 PM »
got mine can't wait to tyr it out

Offline IceMan08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:11 PM »
I'm using the ice armor grey suit and it is great!  Hardly need to wear any clothing underneath regardless of the outside temp, definetly dont need the long underwear on.  Its very dry and totally waterproof, which is great for me cause I drill a ton of holes and used to have big problems with my legs getting wet and iced up.  Coldest I've fished this year was -35 celcius with a wind and I stayed warm, it was unreal.  My only complaint is that its to warm when it gets really nice out, guess I'll have to by the blue suit to!   ;) ;D

Offline Fishinkidd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:27 PM »
Just bought a Blue Ice Armor suit, will try it out on the Walleye Challange Saturday!  I got tired of wearing my snowmobile pants and hunting stuff, now I can be like those PROFESSIONAL ICE FISHERMAN !!!   Ha !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.