Author Topic: Studding ATV tires  (Read 8950 times)

Offline Archer50697

• IceShanty Rookie
Studding ATV tires
« on: Dec 15, 2009, 01:49 PM »
Ok, Just a few questions on this.......

I want to increase the traction on my 04' Polaris just for the hardwater season as my machine serves multiple uses throughout the year and I really don't want to purchase another set of tires just for ice fishing season.

1) Can I get away with studding the tires with hex head screws?

2) If so, what size should I use?

3) any ideas as to quantity per tire?

4) Would it be better just to buy a set of chains?

Any advice at all on this would be very helpful..........

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Studding ATV tires
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2009, 06:00 PM »
I would go with the chains, myself. If you run hex-head screws into the tire, there is a good chance they won't hold air. Or see if your local atv place has a set that are used and do it with them. I am going the chain way myself.

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2009, 06:10 PM »
I had chains but hated them 2 yrs ago I studded my tires LUV THEM !!! Have never had a problem with air leaks . I got mine from Honda dealer, I think $25 for a 100 screws , I have left mine in year round, just be careful on hard surfaces (asphalt, concrete etc.) they really grab , oh  yea make sure ya buy a can of fix a flat and put some in each tire

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2009, 07:51 PM »
well if you use the fix-a-flat it sure wont leak  ;D I've used that stuff in my lawntractor tires before and it made the tire hard as he!!.

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2009, 08:41 AM »
Got my studes from the hardware store.  Hex head screws. 1/4" hex head bout 3/8" long I believe.  I put a dab of gorilla glue on each before I screwed them in and put another bottle of slime in each wheel and never had any problems.
;

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2009, 08:51 AM »
   Yes it works/ I used to put only about 8 to ten per tire.....What you want to remember is that: You may want to place a couple of old snowmobile tracks on your trailer.( they can chew - up the bed) :woot:.......Don't need to pay big $$$'s for the hex screws........Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2009, 08:54 AM »
I use 5/16 size heads on my tires. I also use my four wheeler all year so I take the screws out at the end of the season. I use the ATV slime in each tire. The factor that you can decide on chains or screws depends on how much knobby is left on your old tires. If they are worn down I would use the chains, but if they stick up enough for the screws, plan on taking the time to install them. It does take awhile! I put two or three in each knob. I figure out which ones are actually  touching the ground and don't worry about the rest. Also put a couple in the front tires so you can turn. If you have four wheel drive do them all the same. I use over three hundred screws. They go quick. I also use a battery drill that has a clutch so when they hit bottom it stops turning and don't strip out.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline wisicefishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2009, 09:57 AM »
I do this to mine each season, i also have chains but like the studs much better, for the fact it doesnt tear up the machine like if chains are to losen up.  It also allows me to not have to worry about what speed i go.  I used i think 3/8 head by 3/4 long sheet metal screws.  I put one in each lug and have had a lot of success with this set-up.  I take them out in the summer and have never put slime in my tires and they still hold air just fine. These are also the stock tires and I have 04 polaris 600.

Offline Archer50697

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2009, 02:21 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys! Hope to see you on the ice sometime. Until then ........Tight lines and GL.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.