The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Strikemaster mag power auger  (Read 7054 times)

Offline Whale79

• Team IceShanty Regular
Strikemaster mag power auger
« on: Dec 15, 2009, 09:19 AM »
Any tips on how to keep this unit running better and start easier?
Fish ON!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fishermanbrian85

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Strikemaster mag power auger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2009, 09:45 AM »
how old is it? you may have to clean the carb or change the spark plug or spark plug wire or see if the coil magneto or points are all working and adjusted properly. you either got a coil or a magneto depending on how old it is check spark and check fuel you probably got weak spark or not enough fuel going to the cylinder good luck thats what i would do. ;D

Offline Whale79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2009, 09:50 AM »
its 4 years old. it runs good but is very cold blooded. hard to start sometimes. once started its ok.
Fish ON!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2009, 10:07 AM »
whats it doing...I have never had a problem with mine...keep fuel stabalizer in it all the time, change spark plugs every 2 years.....clean spark pulg in off years....I have had mine for a few years, and it was used...thinking about sending it in for the tune up this next spring.....

Offline Whale79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2009, 10:08 AM »
It may need a tune up. Takes several pulls to get it started and keep it running. Once its warmed up it runs great.

Fish ON!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fishermanbrian85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2009, 10:10 AM »
you could buy a tune up kit if you know how to work on small engines it would probably save you around 100 bucks or so it probably only cost about 35 for a tune up kit good luck

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2009, 10:12 AM »
a bad spark plu or spark plug wire could be a good call here........if it isnt getting good spark it may not start good, but enough spark to keep it running.....I got the recommended spark plug to allow it to run a bit hotter....cj8y as opposed to cj6y. gapped at .030....

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2009, 10:14 AM »
STRIKEMASTER TUNE-UP SERVICE
Preventive maintenance of your TECUMSEH engine will assure you of many years of complete satisfaction
and enjoyment of your StrikeMaster ice auger. Simply, send FULL PAYMENT, plus $10 for return shipping
and the engine assembly (only) to StrikeMaster, 17217 198th Avenue, Big Lake, Minnesota 55309. Before
shipping, completely empty ALL fuel from the fuel tank, Tune-Une in an appropriate container or carton
and ship via UPS. We will provide the requested service and pay the return UPS charges for your engine.
(DO NOT PACK WITH STYROFOAM PEANUTS)
Special Tune-up
$49.95 (April 1st - July 4th)
$69.95 (July 5th - March 31st)
All products and services are warranted for six months from date of invoice. Customer must produce
invoice of service rendered.
Parts & Labor Included
TECUMSEH – 49 cc Engine / 33cc
(Mag III, Mag 2000, Lazer Mag Xpress, Lazer 224 & Lazer Mag Ultra)
• Spark Plug • Carburetor Kit
• Fuel Inlet Screen • Metering Lever
• Intake Needle • Fuel Pump Diaphragm
• Metering Diaphragm • Gasket Set
• Idle Adjustment • Throttle Adjustment

Offline fishermanbrian85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2009, 10:18 AM »
WOW!!!! thats alot of work for a little bit of money i would jump on that it would take care of your problem it would probably run like new after all that work is done to it thats a great deal. ;D

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2009, 10:21 AM »
its 4 years old. it runs good but is very cold blooded. hard to start sometimes. once started its ok.
That's what mine was doing last year and then this fall it wouldn't run. Took it in to the shop and although everything appeared fine it needed a new carb. :-\

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2009, 11:46 AM »
It may need a tune up. Takes several pulls to get it started and keep it running. Once its warmed up it runs great.

Make sure it has the correct spark plug in it.  Mine did the same thing, so I bought a new plug for it and noticed the new one had a different number.  (Sorry, I'm at work now and don't have access to the specific numbers, but the correct plug is a "6" and the one in it was a "7".)  Once I switched plugs, it started on the first or second pull every time.  Just for giggles I bought a replacement "7" plug and put it in and the old cold starting/won't run cold symptoms returned.

I'm sure someone will chime in with the correct plug number soon.

-Jeff

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2009, 01:14 PM »
Have a mag 2000 that is 13 years old and sill rippen. I sent it back to strikemaster for a tune up and they put a new gas tank on it for free. A few years back I also had to replace the drill. I was ok with that because it had drilled thousands of holes.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2009, 07:55 AM »
I already did Jeff......2hp tecumseh takes cj6y or for hotter spark they recommend cj8y....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.