Author Topic: Drop shotting flies???  (Read 2809 times)

Offline ColdFrontFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Drop shotting flies???
« on: Dec 13, 2009, 09:10 PM »
Hi everyone! I was wondering if anybody out there has ever tried drop-shotting tied flies. I have been thinking about picking up a few micro flies normally used for fly-fishing and seeing how they work when the bite is super tough this winter. So... here's another thought.. i was thinking of tying a 2inch segment of 20-25 pound mono about 8 inches above the dropshot weight and then a 2inch segment of 1-2lb mono or fluro to that.. then tying the fly on to the light line. Im thinking that the small segment of 20-25lb line will help to keep the fly away from the main line. I dont know if this is really a necessary step? What do you all think??? Thanks guys.
Post frontal conditions follow me like a lonely puppy

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
Re: Drop shotting flies???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2009, 12:54 AM »
Hi everyone! I was wondering if anybody out there has ever tried drop-shotting tied flies. I have been thinking about picking up a few micro flies normally used for fly-fishing and seeing how they work when the bite is super tough this winter. So... here's another thought.. i was thinking of tying a 2inch segment of 20-25 pound mono about 8 inches above the dropshot weight and then a 2inch segment of 1-2lb mono or fluro to that.. then tying the fly on to the light line. Im thinking that the small segment of 20-25lb line will help to keep the fly away from the main line. I dont know if this is really a necessary step? What do you all think??? Thanks guys.
   That's how a few old timers I've run into at Oneida still fish for perch, they say it's not as great as it used to be. Shoot, I'm 40 and I'm starting to say it aint as good as the old days! I'de give it a try, there always packed with insect larva!
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2009, 02:05 AM »
who you calling old snagger? ::)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2009, 03:20 AM »
Try putting a scud on a short leader below a Pimple, Hali or Cast Master.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2009, 07:01 AM »
I was at an ice fishing seminar a few weeks back and a rep from Hummbird gave out some tips..one was to remove the hook from a buckshot spoon, use it as the dropshot weight and tie on an ice fly about 8-12 inches up.

Offline Bill Collector Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The ice doesn't melt, it cries!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2009, 08:03 AM »
Jeff Morse gave a seminar at cabela's dundee store and he runs a fly about 10"-12" above a normal jig set up (fiska w/ atom...) he ties it with a loop knot about 1.5" off the main line.

I picked up some flies to give it a try myself

-Bob

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2009, 08:13 AM »
I save my regular broken jigs.  When I find those that people have tossed out onto the banks or boat landing area, I pick them up.   I snip off the old rusty hooks and now I have a nice drop shot weight.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline stoph

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2009, 09:43 AM »
 I've used a fly 'cheater' before. If you use a polymer knot you can get the hook to sit just right, you can also thread the line back through the hook eye after you tied the knot if you need to to adjust it to sit perfect. (same as dropshotting bass)- works for me.

Offline gregv17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2009, 11:36 AM »
I have done the dropshot thing with flies here in MT for trout, salmon, and panfish. Works great for me. Use either just a weight or a spoon for the bottom and tie on a fly 8-12" above with a palomar know. I usually use a bead head prince or flashback. Sometimes some sort of scud/freshwater shrimp pattern. Trout love 'em.

Offline Bill Collector Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The ice doesn't melt, it cries!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2009, 11:57 AM »
You guys usually see the trout flys on the flasher? Or does that keep the gain up too high?

-Bob

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2009, 11:57 AM »
I always keep a few in my jig box for when the panfish are finicky. I have hammered some nice blue gills on them.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2009, 04:10 PM »
You guys usually see the trout flys on the flasher? Or does that keep the gain up too high?

It depends, but i usually set it so i could see the fly

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2009, 04:33 PM »
i normally only do it for gills and works well on tough bite days.  i prefer to start higher in the water column with one rod tied 2' above and another tied 1' above.  i like to use 4mm epoxy jig to anchor them...still need to stay lite for em.  the bigger spoons work well for stirring up the bottom for perch and while keeping the fly right above the mud storm in plain view.
]

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2009, 05:55 PM »

These are some scuds I tie for the ice.

I like the spoon on the bottom rig idea.....someone was telling me about that technique at the show as well.

Learn something every time I log on to the Shanty ;D
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2009, 08:03 PM »
Ill give it a try this season. sounds like a great idea

Offline ColdFrontFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2009, 01:27 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)
These are some scuds I tie for the ice.

I like the spoon on the bottom rig idea.....someone was telling me about that technique at the show as well.

Learn something every time I log on to the Shanty ;D
RG
Those are some nice lookin flies! where in upstate you located?
Post frontal conditions follow me like a lonely puppy

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2009, 02:50 AM »
I have fished a dropper line with a wet fly many times and some days it's the ticket. I usually fish a Hali,Buckshot,CJ&S Striper Special or something similar with the dropper tied about 12-24" (you have to experiment some on any given day) above the bottom jig. I have used Coachman wet, Picket's pin, Prince wet, and Woolly boogers all with fairly good success....funny thing is, a lot of my big fish of the day were taken on the fly and not the bottom jig...WK

Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2009, 03:04 AM »
Those are some nice lookin flies! where in upstate you located?
Macedon. They're a little different than I would tie for trout, but they work ;D

RG

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2009, 07:33 AM »
Flies do work well through the ice!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline stvnk79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2009, 07:42 AM »
I remember reading an article about that in Midwest outdoors last year. I gave it a try last winter and it worked for fish that wouldn't bite anything else

Offline FishMich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2009, 07:52 AM »
I've had alot of luck with a tying a fly about a foot above my main lure.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.