Author Topic: Fishing Reports  (Read 1530 times)

Offline woody38

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fishing Reports
« on: Dec 13, 2009, 07:34 PM »
Now that there is ice and people are getting out, we need some fishing reports!
I have fished and talked to others that have fished Sporely and lots of splake being caught in the 11-13 inch range. Also heard of some lakers being caught there as well.

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fishing Reports
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2009, 09:37 AM »
i heard of some guys catching splake 24"-27" at sporley yesterday.     i found it pretty hard to believe      but maybe those guys didnt know the difference between a splake and a lake trout.   when did the dnr plant lakers in there?

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2009, 10:43 AM »
They planted the lakers 2 years ago, but I heard they only dumped 50 of them. There are mostly sub-legal splake in there, but there are a few dandies swimming around- but just a few. It's not a lake worth investing any amount of time in since they bumped the size limit up to 15"...hard to catch more than one in a 8 hour day of fishing.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline icedflies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2009, 11:05 AM »
The DNR planted 100 lakers in Sporley last fall.  They seem to be rotating which lakes get the lakers every year now.  Couple years ago it was Teal, Angeline, etc.  They are fun to catch through the ice when you are expecting 12" Splake.

Offline woody38

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2009, 11:38 AM »
The DNR put 100 lakers in September '08 and then I heard they put another 150 in there again this fall.

Offline haydo601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2009, 05:49 PM »
i heard of some guys catching splake 24"-27" at sporley yesterday.     

this is very true! the 2 guys that caught these were set up right next to me and a buddy, caught them both on tip-ups! as for me i just caught small splake all day 12-13" and my buddy caught 2 nice lakers 25"and 27"

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2009, 07:13 AM »
2 years ago me and a buddy fished there 2 full days in a row and caught like 50 splake  all around 13-14" with only 2 fish over 15".  so we thought last year  we should easily catch a limit over 15"....WRONG   we put in some time  and the same thing   all around 14 1/2"   LOL    frustrating!       about 15 years ago   the perch fishing there was awesome...not dinks either.  and you would allways catch nice splake on the tip ups.    bummer deal how much the fishing goes downhill as the years go by!     it would be fun catching some lakers through the ice...but,  by this time of year im so burnt out on lake trout  i have no desire to even touch the greasy things.   i troll all summer for salmon/lake trout          im in walleye,panfish,whitefish  burbot mode     

Offline icedflies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2009, 08:09 PM »
Went out to a local trout lake today.  3-4 solid ice under 1-2 slushy ice. Couldn't quite get to the area we wanted to fish with the shaky conditions (seemed to be more slushy ice than solid ice) so no trout but 7 bass.  Was pretty excited to catch fish on the first trip of year even though we were trying for trout!

Offline woody38

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2009, 09:42 PM »
Does anyone know if the Johnson lake launch is plowed?

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2009, 07:38 AM »
pretty sure Backwoods said he plowed the access at johnson lake

Offline woody38

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2009, 02:27 PM »
great! ill be heading there in the morning! thanks backwoods

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor