Author Topic: making a floor for a clam base camp pop up  (Read 2360 times)

Offline 98600xc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothin beats the vexilar!
making a floor for a clam base camp pop up
« on: Dec 13, 2009, 06:42 PM »
Hey guys, I am going up to lake of the woods with the base camp and was wondering if making a floor was worth it to keep your feet warmer.  also do you guys have any suggestions on how to make one?  feedback would be nice.

Offline 98600xc

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: making a floor for a clam base camp pop up
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2009, 07:09 PM »
I was thinking about rubber, but would that be any warmer?

Offline 98600xc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2009, 07:15 PM »
come on guys, need help!

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2009, 09:54 PM »
I've seen people on here say that they buy those insulated waterproof sleeping mats from Walmart.  They are pretty cheap and should do the job.  I've also heard of people buying a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet.  My advice would be just buy a good pair of boots.  If you have a good enough pair of boots, then it shouldn't matter if you do not have a floor from my experiences.

Offline channelcatben

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2009, 08:03 AM »
I've spent a lot of time scratching my chin on this one as well. I just bought some good boots and wool socks, and use a couple anti-fatigue mats that I scored from work (those work great, by the way). But I still might make a floor for my Base Camp.

My sled is 20" wide by 44" long. I need something that will fold up to fit on that. I was thinking that three pieces of plywood, hinged along the long side to fold accordion style, would work. It would be 60" by 44". That way, enough of the floor is exposed that I can park my sled (with all my equipment and a seat) in the Base Camp (its floor area is 72" by 72"), and have room around the edges for some holes.

Sounds like a lot of work to make more stuff to haul around, though.
\"If everybody\'s thinking alike, then somebody\'s not thinking.\" - G.S. Patton

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2009, 09:27 PM »
My dad bought some of those huge rubber mats that look like puzzle pieces. Check the sporting goods section, near weight lifting equipment. Fleet farm had a 4x6 foot set that is $15.
Double them up underneath your feet and it should work pretty good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.