Author Topic: Smelt.  (Read 4423 times)

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Smelt.
« on: Dec 13, 2009, 06:25 PM »
I always hear about people using smelt for bait. Is this the only part of the country where people eat them? We usually fry the big ones just like perch.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Smelt.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2009, 06:29 PM »
I always hear about people using smelt for bait. Is this the only part of the country where people eat them? We usually fry the big ones just like perch.
   Quite a delicacy, here in Maine also;  YUMMY !     Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2009, 06:29 PM »
I'm not a fan of eating them, but many people do.  I prefer to use them as bait.  Even better bait than smelt is Herring.  They seem to hold together better on the hook.  I put them in foodsaver bags, then before I use them let them sit out for 3 days and re-freeze.  They smell bad when you open the bag, but the fish really like them.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2009, 06:31 PM »
Nice to see that they are eaten in Maine too! Its almost like Christmas when you catch a few big ones.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
~John Buchan

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2009, 06:33 PM »
We catch enough to eat and freeze the extra's for some dead bait for pike during the soft water season. Pike can't resist a nice fishy smelt.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2009, 06:36 PM »
Can't transport bait in VT, so we eat some and use the rest live.
~John Buchan

Offline cp13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2009, 06:38 PM »
You're crazy if you don't eat em. I don't know if its everywhere but our smelt have a cucumber type scent to them. Or is it just that Lake Erie water haha?

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2009, 06:46 PM »
same smell to the smelt that are along the coast here

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2009, 07:30 PM »
Big smelt fry's around here, churches, bars.  We eat mostly those that are up to 4-5 inches.  The ones 8-12 " Are used for northern bait.

Funny you should bring this up.  Last year I had a chef friend from California rave about the "new" fish she had.  Yup, smelt.  When I told her we have them all the time, she asked why I never told her about them.  So who knew they didn't know about smelt there???????? ::)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2009, 07:49 PM »
I have to try icing some more smelt this winter...awesome fishing.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2009, 07:56 PM »
 In ALASKA we call them Hooligan. They run in the spring from the saltwater to some of our freshwater rivers and streams. millions and millions of em.
There is no way to catch them except when they are running in the springtime. A lot of people eat them but me I just use them for crab and pike bait.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline ColdFrontFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2009, 08:11 PM »
Lot of guys dip net for smelt here in n.y. I havent heard too much about anybody ice fishing for them.
Post frontal conditions follow me like a lonely puppy

servocam

« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2009, 09:24 PM »
I remember many times as a little kid going smelt fishing on Lake Michigan with my Dad.  Throw a gill net in the water, run around by the lake, fire pit, hot cocoa, hot dogs (recall Dad and his buddies drinking Old Style w/ pull tabs or Pabst stubbys)...then pull up the net and tons of smelt tangled up.  I remember bringing a few gallons of them home and Dad would freeze them.  I can not recall what they tasted like. 

I do know my dad used them as bait when ice fishing for Pike.

Offline ianripken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2009, 10:03 PM »
We usually only fried up the small ones. Cut the heads off and slit up the belly to the cut, then just use your thumb to push out the guts. No need to debone the small ones as the bones are soft once fried.
We got them on Gaspereau up in Canada (we call them alewifes in the states). We'd fillet the Gaspereau and cut it into chunks and jig away with it. Once we ran out of that, we switched to using larger smelt for bait. What a ton of fun it was catching them things. Three of us filled up a 5 gallon bucket in no time, and that's with throwing the big ones back.

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2009, 07:08 AM »
We put them in salt over night.  The next day when you rinse them the scales rinse off at the same time.  We just gutted them, drench in seasoned flour, fried in grease.  Serve with potato salad, coleslaw, rye bread and PLENTY of beer.  MAX GUT YAH!

by the way we eat the small ones bones and all, some folks even eat the heads

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2009, 07:15 AM »
Lot of guys dip net for smelt here in n.y. I havent heard too much about anybody ice fishing for them.

Icing smelt is a challenge, nonexistent in the midwest.  However some trout lakes have smelts in them.  Caught them by accident and it's just something neat to do.  I heard the east cost is the place for emerald smelts. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline needice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2009, 08:14 AM »
We used to go to lake champlain every winter to catch them smelt.Was great fishing then and alot of people did it.You knew where to go by the shanty town that was set up.We would catch them with handlines with multiple hooks,once you caught one with a jig you cut it up into strips and you had bait.We usta fill 5 gallon buckets and fry them up that night.Good times for sure.

Offline ianripken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2009, 11:18 AM »
Icing smelt is a challenge, nonexistent in the midwest.  However some trout lakes have smelts in them.  Caught them by accident and it's just something neat to do.  I heard the east cost is the place for emerald smelts. 

Not sure if you count SD the midwest (most people do, at least eastern SD), but on the Missouri near Mobridge in the north central part of the state, smelt fishing is pretty good. Also, lots of folks find them in Michigan, as well as in the great lakes. But you're right, they are very easy to find on the upper east coast. I caught them in Atlantic Canada a lot. I'll probably make a trip up to mobridge this winter, but we'll see.

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2009, 11:27 AM »
I eat a few and use the rest for bait, usually cut up small to catch more smelt or to catch a big tasty burbot....mmm smelts

Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2009, 11:58 AM »
I eat a few and use the rest for bait, usually cut up small to catch more smelt or to catch a big tasty burbot....mmm smelts

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice ones!  Years ago we would get big ones like that out of Lake Superior. More recently they seem to be smaller.  Inland lakes near Ely, MN produce small ones.  Maybe 6" max.

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2009, 02:12 PM »
I only rigged them using Swedish hooks for Northern.  How do you guys rig them, and for what species?

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2009, 02:15 PM »

Wowzers!
Now those are some smelt!   I love eating the small ones.  Delicious!
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2009, 02:22 PM »
That's a worm hook through the gill?  Is that for northern???

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2009, 07:56 PM »
 I rig em up with Quickstrike rigs I make myself.
Works great and adjustable for various sizes.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.