Author Topic: Retirement Help  (Read 1816 times)

Offline gunnar

• IceShanty Rookie
Retirement Help
« on: Dec 12, 2009, 10:24 AM »
Greetings, I would like your input into retirement locations in Northeast SD. I will be planning my retirement in the next few years and am considering SD. I currently live in the northern NY, near the adirondack mountains. I am fed up with NY's taxes and high cost of living. I would like to vacation and check out locations in the next few years in SD. I am a year round sportsman who would like a community to settle in with my wife. Community is very important to me.

Thanks, Gunnar

Offline ianripken

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Retirement Help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2009, 02:05 PM »
Allow me to suggest Redfield. Pheasant Capital of the world. I've lived here for about a year have enjoyed all of the outdoor adventures it has to offer (except for much ice fishing- too busy getting settled last year to do much). It's a town of about 3,000 two grocery stores, a thriving downtown, and and Alco (Mini walmart). We've got a small theater that runs indoors in the winter and a drive-in for the summer. We are 40 minutes south of Aberdeen pop 24,000. 70 miles west of Watertown pop. 20,000, and 40 miles north of Huron, pop 14,000, so you don't have far to drive to get to wally world. Not sure what you hunt, but lots of whitetail around. About an hour's drive to some Muleys. Lots of ducks and geese around- tons of snows & blues. Tons of pheasant. Decent fishing in the area, but well within driving's distance of great fishing to the east and west. 2 hrs from Ft. Thompson on the Missouri, for great walleye. 2 hours from Pierre for some more great walleye fishing. You're truly in the middle of it all. 5.5 hours from the black hills.

Offline fishing grampa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2009, 06:27 PM »
Good idea, Gunnar!!!! I've lived in Highmore, SD smack dab in the middle of the state for over 40 yrs. and when I retired 3 yrs. ago my kids wanted us to move out of state closer to them. I said I couldn't move any farther south than Yankton, SD cause that was where the real river ended.... hehe... I agree with Ianripkin, this area was it all and is an unknown gem.... I went pheasant hunting today planned on checking out the ice yesterday but too much came up. I plan on trying to entice so bluegills up an ice hole monday, it will be a week or 2 more before my favorite spots will be safe on the river....
Stay in touch, and shhhhh don't tell to many about our secret area...hehehe

Sportsman's paradise!!!!!!!!!! It's almost heaven....
Sometime hard water is a good thing..............

Offline TheRo0sTer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2009, 10:19 PM »
I don't want to hijack his retirement thread... Can you guys tell me more about this area for pheasants? I live in Rapid so you know it's NOT the capitol of Pheasant hunting. I'm always trying to find somewhere worth driving to for Public land. If you don't mind sharing info I'm all ears. You can even PM me! I missed all last years season due to a deployment and this year, well everything else came up but Pheasant hunting. :'(
Anthony

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2009, 12:34 PM »
Greetings, I would like your input into retirement locations in Northeast SD. I will be planning my retirement in the next few years and am considering SD. I currently live in the northern NY, near the adirondack mountains. I am fed up with NY's taxes and high cost of living. I would like to vacation and check out locations in the next few years in SD. I am a year round sportsman who would like a community to settle in with my wife. Community is very important to me.

Thanks, Gunnar
I live in Aberdeen. It is located about 50 miles west of the glacial lakes and 100 miles east of Lake Oahe. Aberdeen is about 25,000 people and has the usual malls and big box stores. No income tax here and compared to where you are, housing is probably pretty cheap also. The pheasant, goose and deer hunting around here are great also. I have lived in several places, and always seemed to come back here so I stayed and retired here. As an example, you can buy a new, small (1008 sq ft) house with an attached double car garage and full basement for $143,000. If you want bigger, they continue on up to about $3,000,000.   ;) We also have two lakes within 10 miles of Aberdeen and one of them is having a national ice fishing qualifier on it Jan,10.   :tipup:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.