Author Topic: Front Range Ice Reports?  (Read 7055 times)

Offline rsobeck

• IceShanty Rookie
Front Range Ice Reports?
« on: Dec 10, 2009, 04:20 PM »
I live by Chatfield and that had 1" on over half the lake last Saturday.  It is fully capped now.  I'll check tonight to see what is out there and report back.  I would bet it will be safe for this weekend.  A buddy told me that Aurora had 3-4 in most areas as well.   Does anyone know what Boyd has for fishable ice yet? Just trying to figure out where to go saturday and sunday.  Looking for perch this weekend. 

Offline Dr Hook

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Front Range Ice Reports?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2009, 09:03 AM »
We went out to Douglas Lake last night and poked a hole.  The ice is 5" thick.  I'm headed to get bait now, and will be out there fishing by noon.  It's on!

Dr Hook

Offline ewingfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2009, 11:30 AM »
I would love to hear how you do at Douglas Dr. Hook, I will be out there tomorrow.

Offline The Woodsman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • High Country Lakes in Colorado
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2009, 03:54 PM »
Anybody heard anything about Red Feather Lakes, Cameron Pass and beyond??

Getting JAZZED for hard water fishing!
Bite Fish Bite! Bite Fish Bite!  Pappa sez you have to, Momma sez you might!

Offline Dr Hook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2009, 07:44 PM »
Just got back from Douglas Lake.  The fishing was a little slow.  We fished over by the boat ramp.  I talked to a few other people there.  No one was doing much.  In 4 1/2 hours we caught 6 little rainbow stockers and one nice 17" rainbow.  Tomorrow, I'll be there again but maybe over on the east side.   

Offline thebig1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2009, 11:20 PM »
Went out today

Lonetree: 4"
Lon Hagler 4"
Lake Loveland 4"
McCall 5"
Here fishy fishy!!!!!!
[IMG]

Offline ewingfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2009, 05:24 PM »
I was at Douglas today, fished at the tree outcropping south of the boat ramp quite a ways. Was there for about 2.5 hours without a bite. Not sure how others did but it seems like this is the only time I have ever been to Douglas without catching at least something.

Offline Dr Hook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2009, 07:44 PM »
I was there today also, but we fished on the east side.  Had several bites, but only caught one little rainbow and a perch that was about as big as a finger.  The ice over there was a little sketchy in spots close to the shore.  The weather forecast says 40+ degrees daily for the next 5 days.  Let's pray there is no wind.

Offline rsobeck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2009, 10:37 PM »
I fished Aurora this afternoon.  Not a lot of action 3 small stockers in 4 hours.  The ice covered the marina cove and it looked like a small bay on the south east side had a little ice too.  The rest of the lake was open water.  The ice in the Marina cove was a clear and solid 3.5" - 4" and there were about a dozen or so people out there. 
not sure where to head to tomorrow.  Loveland, Bear Creek, Chatfield??  I'll sleep on it and see what happens.
Keep praying for cold temps but the forcast didn't look good tonight.  Heading back to Wi for 2 weeks of family and fishing over X-mas.
Good luck!

Offline mcnasty4233

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2009, 01:03 PM »
cherrey creek was capped with solid 3+in of ice as of last friday,,, aurora  has solid 4 in on three main coves,,,,  slow fishin but its close ice....
fish all day drink all night....!!!!!!!

Offline IceBuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2009, 12:43 PM »
As of the 21st, I have hit lake Loveland a couple times, Horseshoe, Boyd, and Seaman Res. 

Loveland:  Nothing but a couple small perch (6" inchers).

Boyd:  Couple Trout

Horsehoe: Couple bites

Seaman:  Couple Trout.

I understand Seaman had some nice perch in it but could't find any.  Anyone care to share any information concerning Seaman?

Offline The Woodsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:08 PM »
Would also love to hear more about Seaman Reservoir.
Live in Fort Fun and would love to catch some perch.

I stay off the Front Range ice usually though since it's often "iffy" when it comes
to safe ice thickness.

Seaman is a fun hike and would be fun if the ice is thick and the bit is on.

Anyone know recent info about it for me and IceBuster?

Offline IceBuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:10 PM »
I hit boyd Sunday - 1 perch and no other bites.

Offline afishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2010, 06:35 AM »
We were at Seaman Sunday. The ranger caught us at the gate and told us that in 2008 when they drained the lake for dam work & all the perch died. No one has caught in perch since 2008. We hiked a long way up the lake to an island. We fished several points and bays but only had one bite. The ice is 8-10" but no fish. stay warm afishingfool

Offline IceBuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2010, 07:21 PM »
afishingfool -- thanks for the heads up on Seaman.  I guess I'm a couple years late on the nice perch fishing up their.  I would have trusted the powers to be would have tried to preserve the little fellas.  I appreciate the heads up and I don't plan on hiking up their anytime soon searching for them.  Q: Have you any ideas for some perch and crappies.  I just got back from ND and caught over a 100 crappies and about 50 perch hitting the 12" range so kind of hooked again.

Offline IceBuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2010, 07:25 PM »
Loveland is still not fishing to well.  A couple small perch and a couple eyes that went back swimming.

Lon Hagler -- well I'm going searching for the crappies by the dam soon.

Offline fire-n-ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2010, 07:30 PM »
If your looking to catch warm water species you need to head east. There is more ice out there now than there has been in several years. It's not very often that the ice is good out there. The fishing is fantastic!

Offline IceBuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2010, 08:02 PM »
Fire-n-ice: Could you be a bit more specific on the location "East".  I am heading to Sterling on Thursday for work and was thinking of taking Friday to chase a couple roosters with the dog.  If this is the "East" you spoke about, what lakes would they be.  Any knowledge you can share would be great!!

Offline afishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2010, 12:12 AM »
Ice-buster check the  regulations on the eastern lakes, Jackson, Sterling etc. Several of them are set aside for goose hunters and have limited access for ice fishers. Boedecker in Loveland use to have nice crappies (not sure now) and Boyd Lake has a little bit of everything. The Colorado's GUIDE TO FISHING by Mountain Peaks Publications, Inc. has lots of maps and listings of area lakes and ponds. Some of the information is not current but it is a good reference. stay warm afishingfool

Offline ducky540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2010, 01:58 PM »
Barr Lake 5-6'' of ice not one bite. Others around us came and went, not one reported fish or bites.

Offline IceBuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2010, 07:19 PM »
Took a quick afternoon til 5:30 on the dam at Lon Hagler (looking for Crappies).  The Vexilar showed a couple coming in and taking a look.  I had one hit the swede but got off.  Other than that.....fishing around is slow.

Offline ASCTLC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2010, 08:22 AM »
Don't know what's going on around here (Loveland).  First it's where the hell are all the geese, now it's where the hell are all the fish?  Getting a fish to come in for a look-see is tough enough but getting one to take is near impossible.  This is just one screwed up year for me.

Offline IceBuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2010, 07:30 PM »
ASCTLC - I morn with you.  The hunting has been down right boring so I decided to hit the ice...well that, as you know, has been just as productive.  I even hit Boyd off the point where you can hunt. Was there til 7:00.....not sure what to do.  Today took the kids to a private pond 2 bass then hit Boedecker (never know) not a bite in 3hrs...maybe its time to punt!

Offline rsobeck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2010, 02:18 PM »
Hit Lake loveland on Saturday.  3 hours, no bites, did see 1 4" bass on the underwater camera.  Fished Chatfield ponds on sunday with my daughter just to test out the camera more, caught a few really small perch in 2 hours.  I just can't seem to figure out the front range lakes this year either.  I'll keep trying since it's better to get skunked fishing than be at home doing honey do's!  Good luck and here's to better fishing soon!!

Offline ewingfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:46 PM »
My father was on Douglas for about 4 hours yesterday morning. Caught about a dozen rainbows (not much size) and a few small perch. Fishing on the East side, that lake really never seems to disappoint.

Offline The Woodsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:52 PM »
Thanks for the info on Seaman Res.
 :(  too bad about the perch there!  It's a nice hike up there, but looks like a gonner for fishing for a long time to come.

Got out back on Jan. 3rd at Wellington #4 Reservoir.  Surprising number of people out on the ice.
9-10 inches of ice on a Front Range Plaines lake was amazing!

Caught only three Rainbows (only one keeper), and my buddy got skunked.

Entertainment provided though by watching two trucks get pulled out of the mud along the shoreline
by a chain and a larger truck.   ;)

May take the time to travel further next time out.

Offline IceBuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2010, 11:22 PM »
Hit Boedecker Sunday -- not a bite.

Offline The Woodsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 15, 2010, 12:24 PM »
 :)  FINALLY headin' out tomorrow am!

Any fresh reports from RED FEATHER LAKES or
CAMERON PASS and BEYOND?

Thanks a lot!

Offline The Woodsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2010, 08:24 PM »
 ; ;D   Red Feather Lakes wit no wind!  What a gift!

West Lake has 12 inches of slick, windswept ice.  Bring the grippers.
Fishing was slower than I've had there before, but still caught about 12-15 and brought
a couple home for dinner.  Quite a few fishermen and women on the ice but a good buncha folks.

Offline IceBuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 07, 2010, 12:33 PM »
Fished the N.E. end of Boyd -- tried 20', 30', and 40' not a bite in 3 hrs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.