Author Topic: New to the sport  (Read 1206 times)

Offline mrgarnett23

• IceShanty Rookie
New to the sport
« on: Dec 10, 2009, 09:39 AM »
Hey  guys just wondering on some advice for some one new to ice fishing. I live in evergreen and normally fly and spin fish, but want to get into ice fishing. so what are some things to know that will help me out will probally fish evergreen and georgetown mostly.
thanks
Mike

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
Re: New to the sport
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2009, 11:15 AM »
The first thing I'd find would be a friend who knows what they are doing and go with them.  If you go alone, be sure to check the ice thickness - you probably should have 4-6" for you to 'feel' safe on your first trip out.  If you do go solo and there are others fishing around you, don't hesitate to ask them what to do for that lake.  Most icefishermen are friendlier than they look (it's the clothes, not the person!).

Assuming you have the gear (auger, jigs, etc) and you are targeting trout (based on the lakes mentioned) then try setting up within a foot of the bottom.  Tip your jigs with small baits, mealworks, waxworms, pieces of worms, etc.  Deadstick one (set it and forget it) and slowly jig the other at varying depths throughout the water column.  See which rod/jig produces.  Some lakes have skittish fish that don't like jigging, others don't take deadsticks.  Also, stay shallow for most trout (not lakers!), less than 20FOW.  You should also search this forum and there will be no shortage of advice or tips!

Good luck and welcome to the sport.

Offline mrgarnett23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2009, 11:38 AM »
sounds good i have no one to go with so i figured it would be trial and error. is it okay to use my regular spinning real or should i get a dedicated ice fishing real ?

Offline pleasureseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2009, 12:08 PM »
Anything is fine.  I use the ones off of my ultra-light rods.  Also, watch for garage sales.  I picked up a bunch of old rods for next to nothing, onetime.  I took them home, cut them down, drilled out the handles, and epoxied the ends into the handles.  Just be creative.  Oh, and if you get "hooked", and you will, start thinking seriously about a sonar.  Good luck!  Hit me up if you're gonna come over to the western slope, sometime! 

Offline afishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2009, 01:27 PM »
Welcome to the ice. Check the Cabella's web site for ice fishing gear, it will give you an idea of what is available. But all that's needed is a hook & line, some bait and a hole in the ice. Homesteading on someonelse's holes, after they have left, can be very productive. Toe warmers for the boots are great and I use one of the oily fish attractant as a hand lotion, it kills other smells and the oil warms the hand (keeps the water from sticking). This site has lots of info on trout fishing under the different species listings. I'm in NoCo so I don't fight the skiers much on I=25, but have fished both of those lakes and have had good days with lots of stockers. Stay warm afishingfool

Offline mrgarnett23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2009, 02:20 PM »
thanks for replies and keep them coming i like the tips so far.

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2009, 10:18 PM »
let me start by saying that like all fishing ice fishing can be as little as a auger,bucket,and rod with no end to how much you can spend. You don't have to have a lot to fish but it will make it more fun. Before you go out and spend a lot of money on gear get just what you need to fish and get out on the ice and talk to people. Let them know that you are just starting and ask if they would show you some of there equipment. Most would be glad to show you what they have and what it will do aslong as you dont try to fish in there holes. I love to ice fish and have over the years put together a lot of gear. I could fish with a lot less but I like my toys and I like my shack to stay warm. I wish you luck and welcome to the team that walks on water.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2009, 10:28 PM »
welcome aoard, look at everything on this site and you can become a pro

Offline The Woodsman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • High Country Lakes in Colorado
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2009, 11:07 PM »
Great advice above.  I'd say just plain NEVER GO ALONE!
I LOVE to stream fish alone, but ice fishing alone is like the definition of EXISTENTIAL LONELINESS!
Ice fishing is just a lot more of a social thing. Relaxing, laid back to the max.

Also, NEVER do what I did one time and X-C ski (alone!) back into an isolated lake (thinking I'd do really well there),
only to find myself drilling down into slush and tip-toeing (if you can do that on skis) quietly and quickly off the sort-of-ice
and saying prayers of thanks I didn't go through .  I wouldn't have been found until Spring!
Bite Fish Bite! Bite Fish Bite!  Pappa sez you have to, Momma sez you might!

Offline fireaxe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2009, 11:32 PM »
Welcome to the ice! gear can be done way cheap. I can get ya set up for a 100.00 bucks. Two man shelter rod reel box of jigs all ya need is some bait and an auger, hand augers can be picked up on craigs list from 10 - 40 bucks. Use heavy line at evergreen there's muskys in there !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.