Author Topic: Hidden Lake  (Read 5208 times)

Offline r_boomer

• IceShanty Rookie
Hidden Lake
« on: Dec 09, 2009, 09:33 PM »
Does anyone know if Hidden Lake has ice yet?

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
Re: Hidden Lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2009, 10:35 PM »
As a matter of fact I just called Moose & Goose headquarters this afternoon inquiring about Hidden Lake conditions.  As of December 9th Hidden Lake still has several areas of open water and the ice remains unsafe for even walking on if venturing out from the campground very far unless you test the ice thickness as you go. These conditions are inspite of some pretty hard cold snaps earlier.  Typically Hidden won't have safe "driving ice" for snowmachines until around Christmas no matter what the earlier weather has been and for trucks its best to wait until after the first of the year and scout ahead with the auger to be safe. Dropping your rig in 100 feet of water can really ruin your day.

On the brighter side, ever since F&G dropped the daily limit to ONE laker per day it has had an affect on the number of anglers fishing the lake. Long drive just for one fish if you are a meat eater. However, it has been noticed that more of the diehards have been going out in the evening and fishing past the midnight hour in hopes of bagging a fish on each side of the new day. Lakers are known night feeders so its logical.
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2009, 11:52 PM »
Check the regs before you go, as the book states one per day on in possession. Sounds to me if your leaving the lake with 2 lakers then you would have 2 in your possession witch would be over the limit of one; perhaps I understand the regulations incorrectly. Ether way Hidden Lake is a deep lake with the potential to grow some large lake trout and I think we would do it service to make it a catch and release lake since lake trout grow slow and spawn later then most fish.   

Offline killandgrill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2009, 02:06 AM »
Where is hidden lake?

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2009, 02:13 AM »
kenai

Offline groundsluice_pete

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for hard water fishing.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2009, 12:58 PM »
Where is hidden lake?
Off Skilak Loop between Copper Landing and Sterling.

As for C&R... I wouldn't support that yet. Let's see how the one laker thing goes. I love baked laker. Not much into the pull 'em up, take a picture, and throw 'em back stuff.
See you up the trail.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2009, 06:33 PM »
Off Skilak Loop between Copper Landing and Sterling.

As for C&R... I wouldn't support that yet. Let's see how the one laker thing goes. I love baked laker. Not much into the pull 'em up, take a picture, and throw 'em back stuff.

In Yellowknife we have a one fish limit for Lakers on our road accessible trout lakes amd it seems to work quite well.
The one lake I fish alot I catch fish almost every outing and quite often multiples.
Just 20 years ago this lake was almost fished out due to commercial fishing and over harvest.
For quite a few years there was no retension of Lakers in this lake because of the low numbers.

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2009, 08:43 PM »
Check the regs before you go, as the book states one per day on in possession. Sounds to me if your leaving the lake with 2 lakers then you would have 2 in your possession witch would be over the limit of one; perhaps I understand the regulations incorrectly. Ether way Hidden Lake is a deep lake with the potential to grow some large lake trout and I think we would do it service to make it a catch and release lake since lake trout grow slow and spawn later then most fish.   
Not so. It is perfectly legal to fish over the midnight hour for a second fish IF you adhere to the letter of the law. Page 5 of 2009 Regs Booklet for Southcentral...
Definition: Possession Limit - means the maximum number of unpreserved fish a person may have in possession.

Definition: Preserved Fish - Means fish prepared in such a manner, and in an existing state of preservation, as to be fit for human consumption after a 15-day period, and does not include unfrozen fish temporarily stored in coolers that contain ice, dry ice, or fish that are lightly salted.

Clearly and legally a fish you catch before midnight that has frozen solid is legally in a state of preservation complying with the law. Once the fish has froze it is removed from the possession limit restriction. This "quirk" in the law only works during the winter, obviously when a frozen fish is very easily accomplished to meet the requirements. Summertime it becomes a major violation of anyone fishing two days in a row in any fishery requiring the one day's possession limit rule...unless you have a local fish processor freeze your fish while you are on the outing.

Just to be more in compliance, just clean, fillet out, and package your fish on the spot and let it freeze. Then wait for midnight. There is no law against continuing to fish the same day as long as you don't retain a second fish. The "quirk" here is if you are fishing in a group it may end up being the "party boat limit" syndrome kicking in to skirt the technicality of "whose tip up was that one that just caught the next fish?"
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2009, 10:48 PM »
I don't mean to sound like an ASSSSSS but I know lets find a loop hole in the regs so we can go out and destroy the population fish in a lake. It seems that the lake gets a lot of presser since it is one of the few lakes on the road system with lakers. I would hate to see the lake go down hell just because people like a lake trout grilled up.

With that said you all think the lake froze up with this cold snap I wan to get out thereto catch and re leas some so you all can catch them later to eat them     

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God bless the USA and Canada!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2009, 08:29 PM »
If you come off the lake with two fish you WILL get a ticket, hey I know, lets teach all of the lawyers to ice fish and in a couple years there won't be any fish at all.  What is so hard about accepting the one fish rule?
Bob

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2009, 12:06 AM »
And so.......The war begins!
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2009, 02:16 AM »
And so.......The war begins!
No war. I'm not C&R, but I support them. One fish is enough for me in a day, and I'll let really big ones go anyway. If one fish isn't enough for the Anchorage folks to come down for, there are other places they can go farther north.
See you up the trail.

Offline Kotton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2009, 03:33 AM »
No war. I'm not C&R, but I support them. One fish is enough for me in a day, and I'll let really big ones go anyway. If one fish isn't enough for the Anchorage folks to come down for, there are other places they can go farther north.
. I am not trying to insult but wondering why pepole from kenai peninsla are so Bias about pepole from anchorage.It is off point but I can't count the times u pepole find out we are from anchorage and treat us like tourist,from sterling to homer. It is not my fault my trade keeps me tied to anchorage.we travel up north and pepole ask were u are from and tell u are from anchorage they treat u  as an Alaskan and are glad u traveled so "far up north" to help stimulate their economy.just because were from anchorage don't mean were all idiot city pepole. I enjoy driveing 250+ miles to get skunkd any were across this great state!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2009, 12:40 PM »
. I am not trying to insult but wondering why pepole from kenai peninsla are so Bias about pepole from anchorage.It is off point but I can't count the times u pepole find out we are from anchorage and treat us like tourist,from sterling to homer. It is not my fault my trade keeps me tied to anchorage.we travel up north and pepole ask were u are from and tell u are from anchorage they treat u  as an Alaskan and are glad u traveled so "far up north" to help stimulate their economy.just because were from anchorage don't mean were all idiot city pepole. I enjoy driveing 250+ miles to get skunkd any were across this great state!

You misread or misinterpreted. Someone above had said that people wouldn't think it was worth it to go all the way to Hidden for ONE fish. I probably wouldn't if I had other options closer to home. Some of my best friends and family live in the Anchorage bowl. I don't want to start any battles, that wasn't my intention. But the one laker reg should remain, and if people think it is worth it, then fine. If not, look elsewhere. Sorry to have ruffled your feathers there Cotton. I'm sure you're among those good folks that treat everywhere they go with respect. Peace.
See you up the trail.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2009, 05:54 PM »
if you want to keep a pile of lakers go to skilac or kenai lake...they can get big sometimes and the regs are much more lax.  10 under 20" and 2 over 20", plus they tend to get overpopulated sometimes.

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2009, 11:22 PM »
I would love to try Kenai Lake for Lakers.....

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2009, 12:50 AM »
I would like to catch some out of Kenai Lake too. Lakers from Skilak and Tustumena are anemic looking creatures compared to those from Hidden. The silty water seems to make them that way.
See you up the trail.

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2009, 01:08 AM »

dude i cant even remember all the times we've gotten the stink eye or an insult in passing from locals, or some local talkin trash and tryin to say he owns the rivers, lakes, and all the land, then trying ( and sometimes succeeding) to run us off...we also get alot of "This is MY fishin spot!, Fish somewhere else!". Kotton and I have hunted and fished from Kodiak to the Dalton Highway together for 10+ years. gotta say the majority of greedy outdoorsmen were on the kenai peninsula, most notably along the Kenai River. not saying any of you are, but you know, some people.....

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2009, 03:06 AM »
Yeah, I bet I know some really rude people from here and from Anchorage. Thankfully most people are amiable when ice fishing. Something about being crazy enough to be out freezing your butt off makes people not care where the other guy is from.
See you up the trail.

Offline Salmonman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2009, 11:55 AM »
I have also been wanting to try Kenai Lake for Lakers. Who knows the best access spots. I know of one but it seems like a walk to where some good lake trout fishing probably is. Send me a private message if someone wants to try fishing it with me. How long till the outlet is frozen enough to fish close to it. Probably never safe, someone else said there are just varying degrees of risk when driving or going out on the ice. I like that.

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2009, 03:07 PM »
Yeah, I bet I know some really rude people from here and from Anchorage. Thankfully most people are amiable when ice fishing. Something about being crazy enough to be out freezing your butt off makes people not care where the other guy is from.

this is true! yeah anchorage is pretty bad...

Offline Salmonman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2009, 04:50 PM »
Man I love the outdoors, ice fishing, salmon fishing. I live in Anchorage and one of the nicest people you could meet while in the great alaskan wilderness. Anchorage guys/gals get a bad rap. Getting ready for a trip to CW lake soon, anyone have any tips on the best way to get in there. I know there is a trail off the glen highway. Send me a PM if anyone is interested in sharing or planning a trip.

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2009, 09:12 PM »
I am one of those BAD Anchorage people too. I go out and cover the pristine wilderness with the smell of 2-stroke fuel and leave nasty snowmachine tracks all over. I actually bought a special G-Max helmet so I can spit wherever I go without taking it off. ;)

Salmonman,
Have you made prior trips to remote lakes in the winter? Are you planning a daytrip or overnighter?

I go to LL and have not had to spend a night in the severe cold. It is amazing that a little 900W electric heater will bake an 8X8 shed if it is insulated well. I was actually colder staying in the cabin 3 weeks ago with the wood stove burning all night.

I have not been to CW, but know people that go there and have cabins out there.  They go in at Tolsona i believe. You can also access it VIA Lake Louise or Lake Louise road. http://www.lakelouisesnowmachineclub.com/  Be prepared for subzero temperatures and whiteout conditions. I would look at staying with Kirk Wilson or one of the locals, if it were my first trip. I do not know Kirk, but serval people have utilized his services and I have not heard any bad things. He posts on AOD. I do not know what he charges.

Mike

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2009, 09:37 PM »
    I can see why people on the KP don't like people from Anchorage. look at it from there prospective, you work all week then come Saturday you cant wait to go fishing just like people in Anchorage, only if you live on the KP you wake up in the morning to the river over ran with Los Anchorights.
    The majority of People from Anchorage are kind people who want to get out of town to enjoy their weekend just like most people from the KP. unfortunately there are a few people from both places that are just jerks i can say that I have only met a few but they do exist and they reside in both Anchorage and the Kenai; the worst part is that after you meet them they stick out in your mind like the plague.       

Offline Kotton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2009, 10:01 AM »
Yo salmonman me and jkw are headed to CW  January 8th-10 we would be glad for u to join us.caught a few lakers,seen pics of gaint ones caught there but we spend more time setline burbot while drinking beer,they taste so much better.if your sled is bigger than a 600 need to bring extra gas it is only 20# miles in from tolsona but after a weekend of running up and down the lake tend to burn some fuel came back on fumes a number of times        We stay at caiptan kirks place for a hundred a night he might have raised it due to poor economy but it sleeps four and stays nice and cozy thanks to a toyo stove. Have some other freinds that know of a cheaper cabin on the south end of the lake but we enjoy captian kirks company/tips and I no he enjoys whatching us be idiots all day

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 15, 2009, 02:34 PM »
I would like to catch some out of Kenai Lake too. Lakers from Skilak and Tustumena are anemic looking creatures compared to those from Hidden. The silty water seems to make them that way.

I've caught them out of skilak before and they didn't look anemic, but they where still that silver grey color,,(i've caught them out of there looking anemic too which leads me to believe its an overpopulation issue.)  They definately aren't as pretty as the ones in hidden but fishing can be much faster along with a mixed dollies and rainbows usually pushing 20".  Unfortunately you can't keep them over 18" anymore.  The best eating fish I have ever had was a rainbow out of skilak lake through the ice.  Its really a shame when you catch a 22" rainbow with a mangled mouth from all the catch and release and not keep it.  Thanks Kenai guides as if one rainbow a day 2 over 21 inches a year wasn't good enough.  Thats why the Kenai gets a bad wrap, eveyone is fighting for the resource and everyone wants more than their fair share.  They call it fishing not catching for that reason.  And I grew up in Ninilchik, commercial fished, sport fished, subsistance fished, and had jobs tied to chartering so I can bad mouth it with authority!

Offline r_boomer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 15, 2009, 07:34 PM »
Thanks for the information on the ice Pike Sticker.  I didn't mean to start a war between Anchorage and Kenai Pen.

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2009, 10:41 PM »
My sincerest apologies for my part in the threadjack.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.