Author Topic: Lake Trout  (Read 1420 times)

Offline fatherbohab

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Trout
« on: Dec 09, 2009, 07:05 PM »
I want a mac sooo bad. What do you guys use as far as reels and poles. I don't want to hook up with a twenty pound mac an Priest on 4 pound line and a little pole and just get spooled and broke off.
an angry man catches no fish.

Offline Duhwhite24

• IceShanty Rookie
  • RED DRAGONS
Re: Lake Trout
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2009, 07:14 PM »
I personally have tried about everything.  I would recommend a longer rod as i fish with a full 7'3" Carrot stick,  with a Diawa team Zillion baitcasting reel, lined with 12lb. Berkley vanish.  This is the best combo that i have found as you can feel the fish better and even get better hook sets on the larger fish.  The shortest i would probably run for a rod would bee something like 42" or so, you will want it on a bigger fish.  Good luck on your quest.
Easy There, Don't Horse Em'

Offline Ouzel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2009, 01:15 AM »
My rigs are 4ea (two mine, two for wife or people who show up and want to tag along) 4' 8" Ugly-Stiks Heavy action,  one with Ambassaduer 5500C loaded w/ 18lb Daimyl, one w/ Ambassaduer 6500 loaded w/ ?? fireline, one with Crestfire 100 loaded w/ 12lb ironthread, Penn 208M  loaded w/?? (damn, can't remember, must be time for new line).
These are my main stays.
If I'm taking grankids to Palisades, I use my arsenal of little for minnow size rainbows, cutts and brown that we usually dredge up.

I wanted to come up and fish Priest sometime, but all my info was that it only got good ice in the sheltered bays?

Offline thegrubblet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2010, 03:28 AM »
hows the ice up that way???

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2010, 09:20 AM »
Cold

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2010, 09:26 AM »
My rigs are 4ea (two mine, two for wife or people who show up and want to tag along) 4' 8" Ugly-Stiks Heavy action,  one with Ambassaduer 5500C loaded w/ 18lb Daimyl, one w/ Ambassaduer 6500 loaded w/ ?? fireline, one with Crestfire 100 loaded w/ 12lb ironthread, Penn 208M  loaded w/?? (d**n, can't remember, must be time for new line).
These are my main stays.
If I'm taking grankids to Palisades, I use my arsenal of little for minnow size rainbows, cutts and brown that we usually dredge up.

I wanted to come up and fish Priest sometime, but all my info was that it only got good ice in the sheltered bays?
I use the exact same rods. Sportsmans warehouse used to sell them in Idaho Falls but I have not seen them carry the 4' 8" ugly sticks for a couple years now. I was in Billings a couple months ago and noticed they had 6 so I bought every one of them. They are the perfect rod with lots of back bone and a sensitive tip.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.