Author Topic: Gulp minnows on the Ice?  (Read 6789 times)

Offline jignpig

• IceShanty Rookie
Gulp minnows on the Ice?
« on: Dec 09, 2009, 11:08 AM »
Anybody tried it?  I thought about some 2.5" minnows through the ice...

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Gulp minnows on the Ice?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2009, 12:43 PM »
I have seen them used, mostly while jiggin. I bought the gulp minnow heads for this season, cant wait to give them a go, they look great

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2009, 12:49 PM »
I have a pail of the 3" smelt colored ones I'm going to try this winter. The scent and durability is what I'm hoping will be the ticket.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2009, 11:44 PM »
I haven't had the success that I was looking for with the Gulp on a jig for walleyes.  I've done better with just plain metal spoons.  I'm sure that if I were to add the Gulp minnows to my buckshots, I would increase my chances.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2009, 04:16 PM »
Yeah I'm not a Gulp fan at all. Its amazing how good advertising can sell a so so at best product. The little Gulp I have left over from open water fishing was kicked out of my tackle box or thrown away and I know others who did the same.(Too hard, tough and you always had to keep it wet) The jarred maggots work ok but they don't out fish live bait like advertised. I do however use a lot of the old style plain plastic power grubs, worms and etc.

I saw an article in the IF Ice Guide about putting small tubes on the trebles of spoons for walleye and perch. Its more of having something on the treble.

Offline Stump Puller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2009, 07:15 PM »
Gulp ain't for me, I spent the last three years trying to catch fish on Gulp and it just don't work. At first I thought it was me but when I switched to live bait, I started catching fish. I won't be wasting anymore money on the stuff.
Be safe out there, and set the iron.

Offline Gorilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2009, 07:22 PM »
I have not tried them for Walleye, but have had much success with them catching fluke in the Summer.

The little Gulp Maggots seem to work pretty well for pumpkin seeds at my local pond.

Only one way to find out.. pick up a pack and give'em a shot.

Do Not underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2009, 10:43 AM »
I use the minnows for scent on my jigging raps and cut them with a scissors. Last weekend I also tried on a teardrop perch jig and got a couple small bites.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2009, 10:15 PM »
I use the leeches and minnows in open water for walleyes... and I don't feel that they OUTFISH live bait.... bit I think they keep up with live bait... saves me from running to the bait store all the time and one gulp leech will WAY outfish one live leech.... I can catch fish all day long on one or 2 gulp leeches!!

Offline jignpig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2009, 11:44 AM »
I can tell you guys that Berkley does have a great marketing crew.  This last summer I really tried them wholeheartedly, and really caught fish well on them.  hey don't out-shine bait, but when its hot and you don't have to rebait as offen and can leave them down there it was a plus... 

It will be interesting to see how it goes this winter...

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2009, 02:43 PM »
I had decent luck with them for perch this summer (actually they were powerbait honey worms, not gulp), and when we ran out of live leeches, I used the gulp alive as a backup and managed to keep up.  I think the main appeal to me is not having to freeze/thaw/refreeze frozen bait, and the increased durability.  It's a pain when you're fishing in 100' for lakers and have your minnow fall off during the descent, only to have reel it back up to put on another minnow.  The same goes for casting/jigging/trolling,  as I find the gulp stay on alot longer (we have to use barbless in alot of the lakes around here).   You may not catch more in a head-to-head scenario, but I think it allows you to keep your hook in the water alot longer and not have to re-bait more often, thus increasing your odds in that sence.

Offline newicefisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2009, 07:59 PM »
Just used some today. 2.5" black shad. We were not fishing in ideal conditions ( we had to stop short of the honey hole, because kids were along and there feet were cold). In an hour of fishing we had two walleyes look at it, and one big one strike it. He held on for a while, but then he wriggled off the hook. At the end we still had our bait. I like them. They work when the fish are biting, but they do not outfish live bait.

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:33 PM »
This works really good. Every fish that came in on the vex bit and I brought it up for a total of about 13 fish in one day. 3" smelt color. Used 4 all day.

Offline BlindIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:10 PM »
This is my first year using them. I have to say on walleyes, they have outfished real minnows. Can't use live ones here. I live them because they don't come off the hooks here being barbless here as well.

Offline IceMan08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2010, 10:22 PM »
I personnaly think that most scented lures are junk.  Not saying they hurt your chances but they have never once came close to producing like real bait does.

Offline solman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MICHIGAN
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:52 PM »
IMHO Gulp sucks.  Feels like RV antifeeze on your hands after you touch it.  Leaks, Nasty.  Okay sorry about the rant.  Look at Finese stuff.  No stink

Offline Keweenaw Angler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:20 PM »
I love Gulp! The scent is not an attractant it is flavor, so they hold on to it longer. Never, ever, touch it with your fingers. And always get the stuff in the bag so you do not have to. I cut the night crawler Gulp, like I'm cutting a log with the grain, in half twice and make my own micro tails. When they grab it they don't let go.

Offline solman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MICHIGAN
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:24 PM »
I love Gulp! The scent is not an attractant it is flavor, so they hold on to it longer. Never, ever, touch it with your fingers. And always get the stuff in the bag so you do not have to. I cut the night crawler Gulp, like I'm cutting a log with the grain, in half twice and make my own micro tails. When they grab it they don't let go.

Sounds good. How do u cut it without touching it???

Offline Keweenaw Angler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:53 PM »
With a square 1.5" raver blades with the plastic handle. Put it on something clean, like the ice, and just press the blade into it. You do not have to cut the whole thing, just the length you want. It's quick once you get the hang of it. Then flip the blade into the handle and use the safe end of the blade to scoop up a chunk you cut and poke your hook in it and your good to go.

Offline flukeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2010, 04:02 AM »
I fish bass tournaments so no live bait, gulp is like bass crack, had great luck. And in waters where we have walleyes, have caught them on it too. I was a big skeptic until I took out one of my junior bassmaster kids for a day on the water and he promptly schooled me. We fish them in drop shot rigs and jigs. The leaches work good as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.