The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: electric or gas powered?  (Read 1664 times)

Offline wormwigglr

• Team IceShanty Regular
electric or gas powered?
« on: Mar 04, 2004, 10:35 AM »
can anyone tell me if they make an electric auger in a 10 inch diameter. i know they do in an gas powered auger but what are some of the pros and cons of gas and electric. after getting auger elbow fromn drilling tons of holes this year i need to make a good investment on something reliable that will spare my arms next year. and i would like to hear what companies you recommend.   
                          -ron

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
Re: electric or gas powered?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2004, 11:43 AM »
Strikemaster
THE NEW ELECTRA LAZER 12000 DP… still the same environmentally sound power auger...but now it has a convenient, rechargeable built-in battery pack. With the NEW DUAL POWER ELECTRA LAZER you can power this auger using the convenient built-in battery pack or use any other 12 volt power source. The ELECTRA LAZER 12000 DP can easily be operated using a Snowmobile/ATV, Garden Tractor battery, Car battery or any other Portable 12 volt power source. The 12 volt powerhead has been engineered to provide 190-200 RPM of cutting speed, while only drawing 20 Amps of power from the power source.The custom built 12 volt powerhead with the Tufflite® handle system is mounted on a LT-296 lightweight die cast aluminum gear case featuring heat treated gears, that produce a 40–1 gear ratio. The Tufflite® Handle System is extremely lightweight and constructed of Dupont Zytel nylon resin. The “Chrome Alloy” stainless steel blades of the LAZER drill unit will cut an ice fishing hole with ease and speed. The ELECTRA LAZER 12000 DP is available with 5", 6", 7" and 8" drill units.

No Smell ... No Gas Fumes!
Electra Lazer DP Specifications
Twin Serrated Stainless Steel Lazer Blades
12 Volt Battery Pack
12 Volt Battery Charger
External Battery Cables
190-200 RPM Cutting Speed
20 Amp Draw
Optional extensions available for cutting through ice thicker than 42"
Tufflite® Handle System*
The Tufflite Handle is constructed with Dupont Zytel® resin nylon to provide an extremely light weight, super tough and stable platform.
StrikeMaster Power Lazer Blades... Strength, Speed Dependability
The unique shape and razor sharp grind of the dual “Chrome Alloy” stainless steel serrated blades make our Lazer family of ice augers the best you can buy.

Jiffy
Lectric 44-SS

12vDC, Connects to any 12v Battery or Power Pource
375 RPM Auger Speed
Counter Clockwise Rotation
12:1 Gear Ratio
36 Inch Auger Length
Tufflite Handle System
Firepower D-Icer Blade
Cushioned Contour Handle with Icehouse Handle 
1 year warranty
26lbs 
Product Specifications
Buy Description Price
Lectric Powehead with Auger 

Lectric with 8" Auger

12vDC Powerhead

8" FirePower D-Icer Drill Assembly, with 8' battery connection cables.

Weight 33lbs - Model 45-08-DR
http://www.thornebros.com/winter/augers/augers_menu.html

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2004, 11:57 AM »
Do you really need a 10" auger? I fish with an 8" and have never had the need for bigger. I don't know what you fish for, but unless it's 30# lakers, you might want to look at 8" models. I have a Nils Master 8" power auger. Very fast, light, and better (50:1 fuel mix) for the environment then some. There are other lightweight gas augers out there too...Strikemaster Laser Mag Express, and Eskimo Shark. I can't speak for the others, but I would not give up my Nils.

Good luck. You will probably get some good deals if you find anybody that has them in stock.

Bob

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2004, 07:35 PM »
I have a 10 inch jiffy gas and love it it helps geting a big fish started up a hole and if the hole starts freezing up on the edge I have room to play
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

TDW

« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2005, 10:41 AM »
Hi I am new to IceShanty but this is my experience.

Last season I bought a Jiffy Lectric from Thorne Bros. I like the auger for many reasons.
1 Quiet
2 No warm up time
3 No exhaust

The Lectric cuts just as quickly as my buddys stealth. It is a eight inch auger. I either run it off of my pickup or throw a interstate from my boat in my sled when I go out on the ice. I have drilled over forty holes in one day with plenty of juice to spare
I would definetly recommend it to anyone ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.