The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tip up line or heavy braid?  (Read 1386 times)

Offline eve21

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip up line or heavy braid?
« on: Dec 05, 2009, 03:14 PM »
Never been a big fan of tip-ups but going to put some out this year when searching and for tournaments.  What is everyone's opinion on lines you are using for your tip-ups?
-Tight Lines
-If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.

Offline Wyohomeboy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Tip up line or heavy braid?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2009, 03:28 PM »
I prefer the plastic coated tip up line, after years of using both - it seems to give me less tangles, and if you pick up all your gear and move to another spot, or leave your tip ups in the back of your truck at night, it doesn't freeze on the spool quite as bad as braided lines ;).  I do of course use a barrel swivel, and attach about 8' of 8# fluorocarbon to the swivel, but there are many varying opinions I'm sure.

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2009, 05:15 PM »
ive used braided, fusion,mono they all have there good points. braided and fusion will freeze up on you when you pull a fish out of the hole it can really turn into a mess.

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2009, 06:08 PM »
I'm opposed to the plastic coated stuff, its a lot thicker, so you cant put as much on your spools. If your fishing deep water, or fish that like to run (trout) this can be a problem. If i find my braided line is frozen, i just dunk it in the water for a few seconds and i'm ready to roll again.
Activly studying to manage your Wyoming waters

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2009, 06:12 PM »
50 lb Tuffline XP ----> barrel swivel ---> leader. I use 50 because it is easier to handle than the thinner stuff. You can pack a ton of it on spools too.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2009, 06:15 PM »
25 or 30 lbs HT vinyle coated----->Barrel swivel------->leader depends on what species targetted.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2009, 07:30 PM »
I have fished tip ups deep and shallow, since 1965...yikes!
 I like braided dacron, black color prefered or chartruse green, in 20 pound or 30, and use 4 foot of 8 pound mono with swivel, and split shot a foot up above a nice sharp hook.  Bait and hook changes with species I am targeting.
I take the care to take my tip ups in the house to dry in between trips out, or leave them in the shanty with a little wood in the stove to dry them out.
I bought a spool of braided dacron with the black vinyl line in 20 pound, I think I may like it, need to get it on a tip up but it should be good for a while.
Thread killer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.