The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Line for Lakers?  (Read 1200 times)

Offline eve21

• Team IceShanty Regular
Line for Lakers?
« on: Dec 05, 2009, 03:13 PM »
Ok all of you guys from out West, what do you use for line chasing those lakers?  I am going to rig up a couple rods to have ready for them for this season.
-Tight Lines
-If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.

Offline Wyohomeboy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Line for Lakers?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2009, 03:18 PM »
When I used to fish the Gorge a lot, we spooled up with 8 or 10# fluorocarbon and jigged krocs or used sucker meat on a half ounce jig.  Caught quite a few in the 20-30# range and never had anything but fun with them.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2009, 06:15 PM »
I like #10 Fireline.

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2009, 09:12 PM »
resistant to change, so still using fluorocarbon p-line 15#, which works good initially but degrades and begins to allow lots of stretch as it ages....   so, am probably eventually going to break down and switch over to er-e-is' favorite.

Offline Forktail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2009, 09:49 PM »
I started with the braided line but found it absorbed water and froze too easily.  I use a 6-14# fluorocarbon line.  Not easily seen and little stretch.  But check out er-e-is' medal.  I'd listen to that guy.  And with that, I'm stepping down the poundage.

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2009, 10:37 PM »
yeah, with some of the jigs i use, 15# is just too much for optimum feel.  i find myself jigging with good old stren mono 8# nearly as much as (sometimes more than) my heavy set-up.  i need a happy medium.  i think you've got a point, forktail, about water absorption and freeze-up in cold temps.  joe?

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2009, 11:36 PM »
I don't fish for Lakers much, I do plan on doing some this winter.
But for Walleyes I have a couple reels filled with fireline crystal 10#, I do put a barrel swivel on the end and then tie on about 3' of mono.  I use whatever weight I feel comfortable with, anywhere from 6# to 14#. Sometimes a little stretch can be good, if your drag freezes up or is not set right. I do agree with Forktail in very cold conditions braided line can freeze and get combersome going back on the reel.     

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2009, 08:11 AM »
I really have not had a problem with freeze up. I tend to fine a spot and stick with it and don't move around a lot. The sensitivity far oughtweighs any negatives. I do use a barrel swivel and about 3' of mono.

Offline fishley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2009, 10:26 AM »
dont go with the braid junk it obsorbs way to much water for cold weather fishing ,its great in the worm months but when its cold it's no fun.i use 100%fluorocarbon15lb P-LINE its sensitve with low stretch zero memory and can hold some big fish with out worry and get that hook baried deep in there nose in those 100ft + depths.

Offline Big Mack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2009, 10:53 AM »
fireline all the way. its not a braid, its fused and much more sensitive than any braided line. first time i used it was drift fishing for steelhead, i was able to go lighter on weight and feel every tick.

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2009, 06:26 PM »
sheesh..guess i better get away from the old Berkley trilene Xt 6#...Have to say tho i've landed some pretty good fish with it..guess ill give the fireline a try..I would think 8# would be plenty for a 15# fish???

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2009, 07:01 PM »
sheesh..guess i better get away from the old Berkley trilene Xt 6#...Have to say tho i've landed some pretty good fish with it..guess ill give the fireline a try..I would think 8# would be plenty for a 15# fish???

Back home fishing salmon and steelhead on the rivers I would run 12 lb P-Line with 8 or 6 lb leaders and caught fish up to 20 lbs. The P-Line was the best as far as abrasion strength and also just plain toughness. My river reels were my bass reels also so needless to say P-Line was automatically my bass line. I never had problems in either application.... I am new to ice fishing but I got a spool of 6 lb P-Line coming so I am glad to hear it works well for the hard water fishing.
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2009, 09:45 PM »
Just remember that as important as your line is, a reel with a good smooth drag, is equally, if not more important. I used 8# Fireline for years and caught some big fish on it. I now use 10#. Gives you a little more strength to land and release those big ones without exhausting them as bad.

Offline gaustin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2009, 09:52 PM »
Just remember that as important as your line is, a reel with a good smooth drag, is equally, if not more important

Couldn't agree more  ;).....Best advice I seen on the site as of late  8)
Gregg Austin

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2009, 10:09 PM »
I was wondering if you were seeing less bites with the heavier line? When I made the switch from 12 to 8 on my leaders and a lighter main line it seemed my number of bites and hooked fish went up. I am a big fan of the lighter the better but I was guess when you are fishing deep water the little difference doesn't matter. I know I only use 4 or 6 lb when I am targeting trout in the smaller lakes and I always do better then the guys running 8 lb leader. I have family in Pinedale and hope to get up to Freemont after some lakers and I was looking for the least amount of poundage advisable or does it really matter that much?
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline fishley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2009, 10:31 PM »
Just remember that as important as your line is, a reel with a good smooth drag, is equally, if not more important. I used 8# Fireline for years and caught some big fish on it. I now use 10#. Gives you a little more strength to land and release those big ones without exhausting them as bad.

thats about the only reason i go heavy to get them in and get them back. but with 1-2oz baits it helps on the hook set and it feels good to know when you got that 40+ on you got the strength backing you to land him fast. i see a lot of guys on the gorge take 30min to reel in a dink 20lber then thay cant get them to go back becouse thay are toasted.i will stick with p-line and know i can land that 50lber and put some meat to him with out worry.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.