Author Topic: new member-building a shack  (Read 9248 times)

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
new member-building a shack
« on: Dec 05, 2009, 09:37 AM »
Hey guys, great looking website! tons of info. I am building a new shack starting tomorrow. From what I have already gathered on this site. I am going to frame it with 2x2s.  6ft wide x 8 ft long x 7 ft high. It will sit on a steel trailer that is built of 1.75" ID steel tubing and 3/4" pessure treated plywood for a platform.. It is going to have 2 holes. 3 windows. a fan and a light that will run off of a 12v system. It will be insultaed with the pink boards. I have a few other questions for you guys that have done this before.

1-window, do I use reg glass window or plexi glass?
2-what size(btu) heater will fit a shack of this size best
3-Is there any type of wall (outside) that I can put on with out using plywood that would work well?

here is a pic of the trailer I am working with. Thanks for the help

Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: new member-building a shack
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2009, 07:13 PM »
Hey that looks pretty good.

1. For my shack I have 2 windows made of Lexan and they are permanently closed. The 3rd window is made of acrylic glass and I made a frame for it with slots in the side, so the plastic can slide up (for venting purposes.) I tried to get some double hung glass windows off craigslist but everyone was a dead beat. If you can find some cheap windows made for a real house, then by all means go for them. You will probably have to add another layer of 2x2s or a little thicker to get it to the depth of a standard 2x2.
2. You might just want to get one of the buddy heaters. my shack is 8x8' and I have a wall mount heater. They are super nice but they aren't portable like a Buddy heater is. The 4000/9000 btu buddy heater would probably be enough.
3. I use Luan plywood. It's cheap and light. $8 on sale and it only weighs about 20 pounds per 4x8 sheet. I think most of your other options require some sort of plywood. steel siding probably doesnt but I think it's expensive and heavy and a pain to cut

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2009, 07:53 AM »
thanks taint!

If I go 24" on center for the studs is it going to be strong enough to pull around the lake? since I may move half a dozen times in a day
Also, will I be able to take the wind at 70 mph on the highway?
I am going to brace all corners with a 45 degree angled piece of 2x2. Thoughts?

or would I be better off going with 16" on center for studs? I am hoping that 24: will work since I am trying to keep weight down. Thanks again

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2009, 09:50 PM »
thanks taint!

If I go 24" on center for the studs is it going to be strong enough to pull around the lake? since I may move half a dozen times in a day
Also, will I be able to take the wind at 70 mph on the highway?
I am going to brace all corners with a 45 degree angled piece of 2x2. Thoughts?

or would I be better off going with 16" on center for studs? I am hoping that 24: will work since I am trying to keep weight down. Thanks again

Honestly I don't know if I can give you any confidence about going 70 mph. I sure would not do it. You're talking wind speeds close to hurricane force, especially since your shack will be higher than your truck that's pulling it. I wouldn't try it and I'm probably not the only person who thinks the same.
As for driving around on the lake it should be fine. Just watch the bumps. If you get any major snow storms, make sure you clean off the roof too. Heavy wet snow can easily weigh a couple hundred pounds. I use real small braces on all 8 corners (top and bottom.) They don't have to be huge, but the longer the better.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2009, 08:19 AM »
Id go for the Big buddy heater myself  as it does have the built in fan and you can always turn it down if too hot inside   but if it is bitter you can crank it to 18000 btus   double the output of the smaller version
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2009, 07:01 PM »
Honestly I don't know if I can give you any confidence about going 70 mph. I sure would not do it. You're talking wind speeds close to hurricane force, especially since your shack will be higher than your truck that's pulling it. I wouldn't try it and I'm probably not the only person who thinks the same.
As for driving around on the lake it should be fine. Just watch the bumps. If you get any major snow storms, make sure you clean off the roof too. Heavy wet snow can easily weigh a couple hundred pounds. I use real small braces on all 8 corners (top and bottom.) They don't have to be huge, but the longer the better.

thanks taint.....I started builing yesterday and I went with 2x2 studs, 16" at center. I figure the small amount of weight I would save by going 24" wouldnt be that great of a diff. I have chains for my 700 kawasaki praire and a 4x4 F150 so if i cant move it with either on of them than I have a 1 man clam and a 2 man frabil to fall back on ;D

This is my first project that is anything like this and so far the only issue I had was I didnt start on center for one of the walls so by the time I got to the end my studs were not 16" on center :P ::) >:(...oh well. Live and learn! Other wise I have about 3 hours into the project and am just about finished with the 2nd framed wall. I would have like to put more time into it but the girlfriend had other plans for me >:(....I still dont know ehat I am going to do the exterior of the shanty with. I would like to stay under 300 bucks for the exterior but what something to look sice and be light weight. thoughts? thanks for the input fellas.!

here in WI we are expecting 9-12" of snow by weds night and highs in the teens for the week..... ;D

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2009, 10:58 PM »
thanks taint.....I started builing yesterday and I went with 2x2 studs, 16" at center. I figure the small amount of weight I would save by going 24" wouldnt be that great of a diff. I have chains for my 700 kawasaki praire and a 4x4 F150 so if i cant move it with either on of them than I have a 1 man clam and a 2 man frabil to fall back on ;D

This is my first project that is anything like this and so far the only issue I had was I didnt start on center for one of the walls so by the time I got to the end my studs were not 16" on center :P ::) >:(...oh well. Live and learn! Other wise I have about 3 hours into the project and am just about finished with the 2nd framed wall. I would have like to put more time into it but the girlfriend had other plans for me >:(....I still dont know ehat I am going to do the exterior of the shanty with. I would like to stay under 300 bucks for the exterior but what something to look sice and be light weight. thoughts? thanks for the input fellas.!

here in WI we are expecting 9-12" of snow by weds night and highs in the teens for the week..... ;D
Hah yeah its so easy to screw up something like that.. I had to rebuild all of my walls. lol. It sucks but the whole process is fun!

As for the exterior, Luan plywood is pretty good. I have less than $100 in luan for my shack. I think I bought 10 sheets of it and it was enough to cover all my walls and my roof. The only thing is that you really need to paint it, otherwise it will probably start weathering :/ Impossible to paint in this weather unless you have a heated garage.
There are other options such as corrugated plastic, but I have never seen that in my area. Someone here on IS built a shack from it and the whole thing weighed like 200 pounds..
Vinyl siding looks amazing but I don't know anything about that.
Might have to get some more suggestions from other people if none of these sound okay. Good luck!

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2009, 06:47 PM »
agh, the fact that I forgot to start my studs on center in the walls is really starting to cause probs, especially since I jusr figured out that I needed another stud in the corner to do the interior....dang! oh well its a learning process. Do you think I would be further ahead to redo the wall correctly OR just work with what I already have. I was just going to document all the measurements and work off of my measurements when I finish it out......?

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2009, 10:54 PM »
Never built a bigger shack like this but just wondering why only 2 holes ?

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2009, 05:06 AM »
We fish on lake winnebago. We move constantly sometimes every hour or less. I That is all we drill in our two man portables also. I want it to be comfortable for two guys not tight for three...... :)

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2009, 08:25 AM »
Quote from: Tainterslayer link=topic=122203.
The only thing is that you really need to paint it, otherwise it will probably start weathering :/ Impossible to paint in this weather unless you have a heated garage.

HD has a line of their paint that can be painted down to 35*.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2009, 05:51 PM »
hey fellas, I am having a blast builing this shack. I just got the frame walls mounted to the traieler today and screwed all walls together at the corners. Hopefully I can get some pics for you guys to show my progress soon. A few ?'s

1-What thickness laun, plywood, ect do you use on the exterior? I am hoping I can get buy with 1/4" or at most 3/8".. Thoughts?

2-For those of you that have used the rubber roofing material (10x20' rolls) what do you use to fasten it to the shanty? staples or just many screws perhaps?
Thanks for the input!..............I am going to hacve to get a few iceshanty decals to put on the shack!

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2009, 07:55 AM »
teamlund...nice to see ya over here on the shanty as a change from walleye central.  that will be a sweet shack its looking like when ya get it done.  got any lund decals to slap on her?...better put aluminium siding on her to match your other fishing machine ;D

ryan
]

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2009, 01:21 PM »
teamlund...nice to see ya over here on the shanty as a change from walleye central.  that will be a sweet shack its looking like when ya get it done.  got any lund decals to slap on her?...better put aluminium siding on her to match your other fishing machine ;D

ryan

haha, I couldnt get ahold of any aluminum, I wish I could have though than I could have just double rivoted all the seams LOL.

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2009, 02:39 AM »
teamlund...nice to see ya over here on the shanty as a change from walleye central.

And L-L   ;D
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline nitrofish3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2009, 06:41 PM »
teamlund-best way to adhere your rubber to the roof of the house is with contact cement for rubber roofing and then use an aluminum finish strip on the sidewall to complete the job

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2009, 08:43 AM »
becareful with the glue!  esp having to do it inside
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2009, 09:25 PM »
well....lets see some pics..The suspense is killn me

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2009, 09:32 PM »
ha ha, sorry rod. I was even working on it today but forgot my camera. I wil be at it sometime this weekend and will snap a few pics. Right now it is framed I and I am putting in the windows and door. Than I will do the wallpanelling, electrical, than the exterior... :)

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2009, 08:08 PM »
well....lets see some pics..The suspense is killn me

Alright guys, I made some good head way today on the shack! I put the windows in, mounted the door, and put a few panels in. I used glue and a drywall screw every 10". It is starting to come together real nice. At least I think so!

I found some panels at menards that were 12.99 a pc nut that they had a mail in rebate for $5 off each panel so its 7.99 a piece!! After the paneling I am going to do the electrical than insulate it. Here are a few pics. Do you guys see anything that I have done wrong or right? thoughts? Thanks again for all the help guys!

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2009, 08:21 PM »
how tall is your garage door?  Hopefull over 9' ;D
]

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2009, 08:28 PM »
haha..... My garage door is 7 ft. I built the frames at my place than loaded theem in the truck and took the trrailer and the walls to my the stg shed at my parents shop. They own a diesel repair shop in Neenah so I also have tons of tools and equip at my disposal :)  The garage door on their stg shed is huge...maybe 12-13 ft??;D, my shanty shoudl fit through it no problem ;D ;D

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2009, 08:37 PM »
lol...had to bring it up.  i could see myself staring a little ice shanty project in my garage (10' ceiling and slighty less than 8' door) and than turning it into a major endever and than to realize....oops!
]

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2009, 04:06 PM »
I put a solid day into the shanty today. Finished panneling and put in the electrical.

Run-down
1- frame is 2x2s
2-16" studs-all joints were predrilled to prevent splitting
3- frame is mounted to the trailer with 5/16" floor screws
4- 2 windows that open and are 14x32"
4- cedar paneling
5- wall panelling is glued and has a drywall screw every 10 inches
6- wiring is run through the frame (drilled holes in frame)

Here are a few pics. Input? Thoughts?
enjoy! :)

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2009, 11:29 AM »
Will you have sleeves that drop to the ice to fish through or will you lower the trailer to the ice?

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2009, 06:50 PM »
I am setting it up with the "catch cover" system. I will have lids for each hole and the sleeves. The trailer platform will be 19" above the ice at all times.
here is a link to the catch cover web site :)

http://www.catchcover.com/

If someone could make this a clickable link that would be great! thanks

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2009, 07:18 PM »

Offline dalwhe1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 26, 2009, 12:44 AM »
Coming along nicely, This thing will be a nice winter home when you get her out there, Enjoy and be safe on the ice....... ;D :tipup:

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 26, 2009, 03:46 PM »
thanks dalwhe1970!

I worked on it xmas eve morning and a few hours today. I got the entire shack insulated. It is insultated  1 panel deep (1"). The rood is also insulated. Than I used "Great Stuff" insultaion to seal all of the insulation seamsa nd cracks. Put on a pastic barrier to block the wind. And finally I used 3/8" cdx plywood for the exterior. Next will be the trim, paint, than the rubber roof. Last will be finishing the interior. Thanks for all the input guys, I ll keep you posted with info and pics.  ;D :tipup:

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 27, 2009, 06:46 PM »
I put a heck of a day into the shack today. Interior is complete! I installed the interior light, a fan, mounted the heater, installed all the trim, installed a rubber floor, and installed the catch covers on the holes. The interior was a blast to work on! Any questions or thoughts? thanks
Sorry there are a ton of pics but I couldnt help it ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.