The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Keyhole  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Wyohomeboy

• IceShanty Rookie
Keyhole
« on: Dec 04, 2009, 05:36 PM »
Anyone been by Keyhole recently, or know if it has ice yet?

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Keyhole
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2009, 09:27 PM »
I would think it should have just froze over in the last few days. I fished it out of the boat Nov 30th.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2009, 11:43 PM »
I called the bar at pinedale today. it's not iced over yet. Too much wind. If it caps over in the next 2 days the shallow bays might have enough to stand on. I was standing on 2" of ice today....a little freaky not gonna lie.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2009, 01:02 PM »
Apparently the lady from the bar didn't actually talk to fisherman. Someone I know was on the ice on saturday he said there wasn't much ice, but enough to stand on and fish. 3-4 inches near the shoreline and the ice only was 20 feet out from shore. Sounds a little sketchy, but should be getting thicker this week. I know where I will be on sunday. Can't wait!!!!

Offline eve21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2009, 01:49 PM »
Did he say if he was catching any fish?  :-}  I am betting should be good to go this weekend as it was 14 below this morning at 8 and there was zero wind.  Nothing above freezing for the next 10 days.  Won't take long once the ice is formed and the wind can't affect it.  Just hope the wind doesn't come up while it is thin and break it all up then re-freeze all the ice chunks. That happened at Mobridge last year and getting around was pretty rough going. 
-Tight Lines
-If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2009, 01:57 PM »
No bites, but they only were out there for ten minutes and got cold.....weenies.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2009, 06:09 PM »
Just came from the lake on a scouting trip . Keyhole is froze over. Pinehaven bay had about 4 to 5 ". I saw four diffrent clams. Two on the North shore. The folks had walked across the lake. I didn't talk to anyone I was on the wrong side. Going out Tues to give it a try.

Appleye
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2009, 06:39 PM »
Just came from the lake on a scouting trip . Keyhole is froze over. Pinehaven bay had about 4 to 5 ". I saw four diffrent clams. Two on the North shore. The folks had walked across the lake. I didn't talk to anyone I was on the wrong side. Going out Tues to give it a try.

Appleye
Go figure... I was planning on heading out there myself tomorrow but now have to go check a tankless water heater at our rental. Wednesday I head to Spearfish to watch my grandson (4yr old) until Sunday night when my daughter returns from a job interview in Texas. There's a silver lining in there somewhere!  :tipup:

Apple, gonna want reports! Any word on Pactola? I see some mention of it in the SD thread but nothing solid yet.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2009, 06:53 PM »
have not heard any more about Pactola. I sure someone will check it soon!!

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2009, 12:35 AM »

Appleye

Jealous....I  will be working.  Trying to talk the G.F. into going with this weekend. She doesn't think 32 degrees is warm.

Offline DeadSeaFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I get the SLOW bite alot!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2009, 01:58 PM »
Hey guys, I wouldnt take too much stock about asking/believing those gals at the watering holes in Pine Haven about the ice AND the fishing as they DO NOT fish. The best bet is for us fisherman to UPDATE these nice ladies on conditions and fishing as we all depart from the lake, so then they know.  I have family in Pine Haven and updates are hard to come by unless fisherman are stopping in giving reports. So enjoy some 'sodas' after your outtings and spread the word!   :tipup:
><{{{{*>~---

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2009, 03:29 PM »
Hey guys, I wouldnt take too much stock about asking/believing those gals at the watering holes in Pine Haven about the ice AND the fishing as they DO NOT fish. The best bet is for us fisherman to UPDATE these nice ladies on conditions and fishing as we all depart from the lake, so then they know.  I have family in Pine Haven and updates are hard to come by unless fisherman are stopping in giving reports. So enjoy some 'sodas' after your outtings and spread the word!   :tipup:
:::dialing cell phone to wife::;

Hi honey!

Hi, did you catch any fish this time?

Nope they weren't biting again. Did hear some guy on the other side of the lake caught a nice one tho!

You never catch any fish I don't understand why you go to Keyhole anyway?

Yeah me neither...

You on your way home now?

Almost honey... I'm going to need to stop in the bar for a bit and visit with the ladies before I leave... It's for IceShanty honey.

:::dead air:::

Honey???

Honey???

Offline DeadSeaFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2009, 04:05 PM »
Haha Gam! There ya have it, that works for me. How do you think I came up with my name Deadseafisher.....its always the dead sea! LOL Thanks and good luck!
><{{{{*>~---

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2009, 10:42 PM »
It's COLD!!!!

I got up this morning in Moorcroft and the wind was blowing 15 to 20. Temp was 3 degrees. Instead of going to Keyhole I decided to run to some small ponds by Upton. Wind was blowing 10 to 15 but the temp had risen to 7. I caught 6 perch and one bluegill. No size. After 2 hours my feet were freezing and hole would only stay open for about 5 minutes. I guess I'm going to have to get a bigger heater! LOL So I ran to New Castle and got a permit for LAK. 10 degrees and no wind, big plus! Drilled 10 holes spending about 15 minutes in each 9 to 20 feet. No marks and no bites. I guess I'm going to have to bring the 4 wheeler and go exploring. 5 inches on ice on the pond and 3 to 4 on LAK. Now I have to find all the stuff I took out of the ice house over the summer. LOL Hoping the weekend will be warmer. Start nights tomorrow. Should have more time to fish for a while.

I'm pretty sure the ladies at the Pub don't have a clue. Just watch them count out your minnows LOL.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2009, 01:26 AM »
I just ordered some 30 lbs. Malin- Boa-no-Kink. (titanium steel leader material)  Can't wait for a pig at KH to put this product to the test.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2009, 10:23 AM »
appleye have you ever brought up a tiger out of LAK? Getting the permit is kinda PITA for me 'cuz I'd want to go before sunrise and stay all day. Having to wait for store to open to get the permit doesn't do it for me after that drive over. The lake looks nice from google pics tho.

Heading to spearfish until Sunday night and hope to get on ice for the first time when I get back.

- G

Offline DeadSeaFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2009, 03:44 PM »
I guess its my fault for bringing it up, but those gals do a great job down at the Pub so lets not insult! They work hard and have to deal with our crabby buckets after yet ANOTHER slow day at Keyhole...but I am sure they say the same about us when we walk in there early in our 'suits' pushing the issue on fishing reports and ice conditions.  On the lighter side, they do throw one heck of a party and raffle during their annual fishing derby! Thanks guys!
><{{{{*>~---

Offline Wyohomeboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2009, 03:52 PM »
The smell of Bacon in there always kills me when I'm getting minnows in the morning!!  They have always been friendly and poured me a good drink to warm my bones after coming off the ice!!!  Some days when it's slow, I head up for a beer and a burger while my minnows are drowning - the G&F probably wouldn't like that, but it's not like I'm going to get a bite anyway :'(

Offline BowTieGuy00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2009, 07:22 PM »
Went out to Keyhole today for a couple hours this afternoon. The ice is 5-6 inches around Pats point.  Only had one bite the whole time. I woulda stayed longer but it was -6* and my friends were whining. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.