Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Newbie needs some help!  (Read 2567 times)

Offline isuhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Newbie needs some help!
« on: Dec 04, 2009, 03:17 PM »
Hi everyone...

I am new to the site and new to ice fishing. I have ice fished for a year and have yet to catch a fish.  Went out about 10 times last year and never caught anything.  Watched people next to us catch all sorts, but not us.  Wondering what kind of tips you guys may have?

I'm after perch, crappie, bluegills, and really anything else that will bite.

I have poles 3 & 5 lb line, hand auger & scoop , bucket, some tackle (swedish pimple, random ice jigs, standard jig heads, gulp maggots).  We mainly have used minnows.

I'm in the Carroll, IA area.  (new to area) 

Is Black Hawk lake good for ice fishing?  Some questions I have...  how deep to fish, where to fish on a lake new to me, how long to try a hole with no luck?

Thanks for in advance.
Beginner -- any advice is appreciated!

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Newbie needs some help!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2009, 03:25 PM »
Good rule of thumb is start 6-8 inches off the bottom.  Get a lead depthfinder to find bottom if you dont have a sonar.  Start there if you dont find fish start fishing 1 1/2 foot off bottom.  The fish are somewhere.  Think small when your out ice fishing small hooks small splitshots and icebuster bobbers trimmed to be on lite bite mode.  Small jigging spoons tipped with wax worms and a spring bobber are also deadly.  You'll start catching em dont worry.  Good luck

Offline mike_skoges

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2009, 03:32 PM »
I agree... However, the one thing that I see more than anything as to why people don't catch fish in the winter through the ice is a spring bobber. If you don't have a good quality dpring bobber you won't catch the panfish. They bite so light under the ice you have to have a spring bobber to see even the lightest touch. Fish right off the bottom as that is where they are laying and try to fish around structure if you can find some. Also, don't be afraid to move around. Just because there are a lot of people fishing in an area doesn't mean that is the best place to fish. Somewhere to start yes but there are fish everywhere the key in my mind is presentation as well as a good spring bobber. Have a great season this year. Hope to see you out on the ice.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2009, 04:23 PM »
We can sit here and give you tips on what comes to mind, but if you go to the specie forums, blugill, perch,etc, you will learn more and faster. Good Luck.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2009, 04:57 PM »
Go Cylcones!  ;D

Offline BucksNDucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2009, 06:11 PM »
Go Hawks
See ya on the ice!!! Go Packers!!!

Offline isuhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2009, 06:16 PM »
Go Cylcones!  ;D

+1

Pardon my ignorance, but what is Team Iowa Ice Shanty? 

Anyone know good places in west central Iowa to ice fish?

Offline BucksNDucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2009, 06:49 PM »
Black Hawk is great... for carp hahaha

Offline isuhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2009, 06:53 PM »
Black Hawk is great... for carp hahaha

Just my luck...  What about up at storm lake?

Offline BucksNDucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2009, 07:00 PM »
The only time i ever fished BlackHawk wasa for one of the carp fishing tournaments that they have in the summer! didint know that a lake could have that many carp! did see a few bass (largemouth and yellow) though have heard that their are a few walleyes.
Storm is a pretty good lake at times has desent walleyes at times perch i have done okay too. havent fished it a lot though

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2009, 07:04 PM »
Blackhawk used to be a great walleye lake, caught many many a limit off there in open water.  Storms better by far in the winter. I used to live in Carroll and spent a few days every winter on Blackhawk, never did catch much. I live in the Iowa Great Lakes now, well worth the 2 hour drive from you to me to catch fish.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2009, 07:08 PM »
+1

Not all to sure, but it looks to me like Storm Lake is going to be your best bet. I fished it a few times this summer, and the Walleyes were fairly good. I think you'll do fine at Storm. I even want to try it myself this winter.

Offline 63110

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2009, 07:42 PM »
If I were you I would try some farm ponds.  Little easier to locate fish in a smaller body of water.  Try off the dam about 20 yards should put you in deepest area of pond were most of the fish will be.  Use small ice jigs w/wax worms on 2 or 4 pound test line.  Start coule feet off the bottom move up from there.

Offline ZEKE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2009, 08:47 PM »
6 to 8 inches off the bottom the move up 6 inch at a time to about 2 feet then move to new area of the pond then try again.
Electronic make it a let easier as you will find out later.
Fished for years with the drill hole and wait drill new hole and wait.
Bought a cheap fish finder for 40.00 and went up from there If you see someone on the ice ask them if you can see how there's works.
Good luck

Offline fishinfanatic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Here Fishy,Fishy,Fishy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2009, 12:09 AM »
Crawford Creek (south of Battle Creek) should be good this year. They have been sinking old christmas trees the past couple of years. There were alot of decent size gills caught towards the middle of fall.

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2009, 12:27 AM »

nearest to carroll, i'd say, the black hawk pits or arrowhead lake...or, umm...the 30 ponds or so i have permission for down by audubon.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2009, 12:30 AM »
Yellowsmoke is another option. it's NE of Denison.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2009, 12:35 AM »
Yellowsmoke is another option. it's NE of Denison.
outer edge of trees  near the dam....try some spoons for the white bass....they're a hoot in there thru ice!!!!!

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2009, 05:52 AM »
If you can find someone you know who ice fishes ask if you can go out with them would be great.  Especially if they  have electronics as you don't waste your time were the fish ain't.  Look for where people have been, ice holes as they've probably been there before and fishing over structure.  Go really small & light plus start just off the bottom and start with waxworms on your little jigs.  Spikes or maggots are fine too. You may have had fish before and didn't know it as the bite at times is almost undetectable, really.  Use spring bobber or maybe a icebuster float. Hang in there it will all come together and the team Iowa logo is just that, an identifier of where your from its optional.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2009, 09:15 AM »
Lots of ponds around Carroll if you can get into them. Never ice fished any but open water fished a bunch. Garst Ponds may be worth a look down around Coon Rapids, I think they opened up the old Hallet pits East of town to fishing ( least I heard that can't confirm it) Yellowsmoke in Denison maybe.

Offline isuhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2009, 11:05 AM »
6 to 8 inches off the bottom the move up 6 inch at a time to about 2 feet then move to new area of the pond then try again.
Electronic make it a let easier as you will find out later.
Fished for years with the drill hole and wait drill new hole and wait.
Bought a cheap fish finder for 40.00 and went up from there If you see someone on the ice ask them if you can see how there's works.
Good luck

What brand would be a decent and inexpensive fish finder be?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2009, 11:18 AM »
FL-8 by Vexilar and the VX-1 by Marcums the bottom end of the flashers but do a great job. Maybe look around and pick up a good used unit. $150 can get you a unit if you look but normaly $200+ is the norm right now that seasons near. I have only used these two brands but I rate them like this from best on down:

Marcum lx_5
 Marcum LX-3
 Marcum VX-1
 Vex FL-20
 Vex FL-18
 Vex FL-8
 Vex FL-12

All work but some do things others wont. LX models have adjustable zoom the Vex does not Vex has upgrades you can buy as extras Marcums come with everything, Super Fine Line feature is great on the LX-5 gaining you better target seperation. Vex has been around the longest and what the majority use VX has a zoom but to get a Vex in zoom mode you have to get into the 18's or 20's.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2009, 11:52 AM »
Check craigs list or ebay you could prolly pick up a good used Fl-18 for 175 bucks.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2009, 11:56 AM »
$175?? I'll take a dozen at that price......... to resell for a Marcum 825 though  ;D I did get a FL-18 last year for $200 for the wife she used it a total of 1 hour and hated it, made me buy her an LX-5. Worked out well though sold the Vex for way more than I paid for it.

I do have a friend selling a Marcum LX-3 for a reasonable price, hes gone to all LX-5's now. Or I may consider selling my old LX-5 and buying a new one. Mines the 2000 watt one but works as well as the new ones.

$275 for the LX-3 TC or $350 for my LX-5.

Offline isuhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2009, 01:02 PM »
Been looking through the Perch and Crappie threads looks like I should pick up some different jigs down at Sportsmasn or Scheels tomorrow.

Ratso
Shrimpo
hali sukkula
gill pills

I have a white swedish pimple.

What else would you guys get? 

Offline J. Rosonke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2009, 02:48 PM »
What else would you guys get?  

Jammin jigs neon bobber fry.

http://www.jamminjigs.com/sections/product_group.php?category_id=6&group_id=34

all 7 colors are good and at 59 cents you can't beat it.

and #10 glow red fat boys

http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/productdetail.aspx?id=techniglofatboys

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2009, 06:16 PM »
Shucks Jiggers, Go Devils,Buckshot spoons, Frostie Spoons.......... list is endless.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.