Author Topic: western slope  (Read 1638 times)

Offline pleasureseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
western slope
« on: Dec 04, 2009, 10:26 AM »
Is anyone from the Rifle area going anywhere around here, tomorrow?  I heard of some decent action on Grand Mesa.  But, I'm not familiar with how to get to any of those lakes.  So, I'm thinking of heading over to Sylvan lake, in Eagle.  That is, unless, someone can give me some info/directions for Grand Mesa.  Thanks, in advance!

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
Re: western slope
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2009, 10:10 PM »
To get to Grand Mesa from I-70, take the DeBeque cutoff and it will intersect with highway 330.  Go south until it connects with Highway 65 which goes clear over Grand Mesa.  There are lakes all along Highway 65 after you pass Powderhorn Ski Area.  Google Fishexplorer and see the lakes available on the Mesa, there are over 100 with fish, but only about 25 easily accessible now since the snow has started.  The farther ones back in hold brookies and cutts.  The ones next to the highway hold mainly stocker rainbows.  However, the largest lake up there, Island, has splake to 18" and some brookies to 14" besides a ton of stocker trout.  Fish close to the island, the lake is accessable from across the Visitor's Center on the south side of the Mesa, maybe 15 miles past the Ski area.  There was open water last week next to the island, hopefully this cold weather will have frozen everything up in good shape, most of the lakes have 5-6" of ice now, Island should be closer to that this weekend.  Backcountry lakes are available within a mile hike if you get a good map or read the options, there are a few that have already been broken into with trails, but I can't post cutthroat honey holes on here, that would be crazy.  PM me if you are real interested in cutts or brookies.

Offline pleasureseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2009, 10:02 AM »
Wow... thanks, brown-time!  That should be a big help for us. 

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2009, 10:18 AM »
Thanks Brown-time!  I'll give it a shot on my way back from Grand Junction later this month - I bought a 4" hand auger just for such things.  Took me 30 seconds to cut thru 14" of ice a couple weeks ago at a high lake. 

Offline duffmon

• Iceshanty Militia
  • IceShanty Rookie
  • living on a block of ice/ loving every minute!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2009, 11:08 PM »
  Ha, Sylvan Lake ;) I fished it in the summer of 2006. I had a contract with CenturyTel installing and upgrading their fiber loop and equipment. After work we would drive back into the canyon to fish Sylvan Lake. It seemed like a long drive because of winding Brush Creek Road and then on West Brush Creek Road a rough (dirt road?). I still remember that little old log cabin on the way in as if I am seeing it today.
  It wasn’t a big lake, but I seen a lot of trout. Fishing was slow the summer when we were there, but the view was worth it all. Walking around the west side by the dam (It looked more like a spill way then a dam) one weekday I looked down into the waters edge and to my surprise spied an old dead rainbow trout that was huge. The local fishing shop in Eagle told us that ice fishing Sylvan Lake was good early. They also told us the story behind the (I think) Sylvan Family, mainly about the old man who sold the land to the National Park. Living way back in there back all those years ago! That was a long way from civilization back then I’ll bet!
We also hiked up into the White River National Forest a few times. What beautiful hikes! Early in the summer we hiked with 70 pound back (to acclimate with the packs) up into the snow; seeing cougar tracks, bear sign and lots of mule deer (which didn’t seem too scared of us) until it was knee high and deeper. Walking right at the canyon edge was real scary, one slip and down we would have gone. We hike farther than we should have one day and barely made it down before a late snow storm hit it, it was totally dark by the time we came out.
Not to worry, we have headlamps and hiked/train in the dark. I once over hiked in Glazier National Park (which gets so dark (just like Bob Marshal Wilderness) that the only way I can describe it is to say it is suffocating!) I became exhausted and a little dehydrated. I had to stop and re-hydrate. So, right at the trail side I took a little catnap and awoke at dusk. Before I could get my barring and headlamp out; it was totally dark. By the time I made it to the trailhead it was well after midnight. I can tell you that after that the Park Rangers seem to take more of an interest in my whereabouts.  

Anywho, ::)

Most of the time I like to travel! Up to Kremming, fish the reservoir and streams. To Steamboat Springs back to Eagle down to Pagosa Springs over to the Black Canyons!  Going over the State Highway 24 pass down to Pagosa Springs was scary as hell too as you guys are well aware of I am sure! Especially when the snow started to fly!  Pagosa Springs is a whole different story. I just wish I could have stayed there for a couple of years and really check it out! But the contract came to an end (too quickly) and onward to other states we hauled ass.

Why is the world in such a hurry anyway? Now we are out of work and could have taken our time and enjoyed life a little more! But no, everything has to be today (or like they like to say in the business) yesterday!

Tightlines Mates! ;D  

May the hole in the ICE; be no smaller than the fish you drag into it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.