The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: jiffy pilot point sharpening  (Read 2827 times)

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
jiffy pilot point sharpening
« on: Dec 04, 2009, 01:04 AM »
Well I FINALLY tried sharpening the pilot point on my jiffy 3110 tonight.  I cant say it's SUPER sharp not really sure how sharp it's going to come out.  Any tips for getting the right angle to it and getting it sharp?   The angle looks like a 45 degree for the pilot point?   I think I can come up with a jig to get that sucker SUPER sharp, just curious.   

Also I saw Jiffy sells a sharpen'r is that for the blades?   If so has anyone used it? 

Thanks in advance!

Offline Marlin07

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They were here yesterday...
Re: jiffy pilot point sharpening
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2009, 11:05 AM »
I have one of those "hot plate" sharpeners for my Jiffy. It seems to work well if you don't let your blades get too dull. The sharpener could be a little more aggressive IMO.

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2009, 03:41 PM »
is the hot plate sharpener the one shown on their webpage?  I was thinking the one I saw was more for blades then the pilot point?

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2009, 10:44 PM »
I talked to the Jiffy rep at the St. Paul Ice fishing show on Friday.

He said that you can sharpen the point, but it is more important to make sure that it is not bent.

He also stated if your Auger point has two holes you can use the stealth blades.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2009, 01:30 AM »
I sharpened mine a few years back and it made a big difference. I just squared it up with an angle grinder, nothing fancy. it is not as a precise deal as the actual blade

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2009, 01:43 AM »
well I started tuning it today and found the on off switch was broke.  so I tore apart the switch and found the poblem..hopefully I dont have to wait a month for a part to show up by dog and pony show....snail mail only to Alaska you know :(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.