Author Topic: Jefferson Lake  (Read 6272 times)

Offline Muddskippa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Quartz Lake Rainbow
Jefferson Lake
« on: Dec 02, 2009, 10:06 PM »
Moved to Colorado this summer from Alaska and cant wait to hit the ice!  Had plans of making my first hardwater trip in CO to Jefferson lake to try for some macs, was wondering if any one on here has icefished it in the past and is willing to share some inside secrets (bathymetric charts, good holes, lures/baits/techniques to use ect...? 
Tight lines
Muddskippa
~~~~\\\"Si vis pacem, para bellum\\\"~~~~ <>< <\\\")))))><<br />

Offline thebig1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jefferson Lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2009, 08:39 AM »
From what I've heard this lake can be a pain to get to in the winter, you need a good snowmobile. I fish all over the state but have never made it to Jefferson.
Here fishy fishy!!!!!!
[IMG]

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2009, 09:03 AM »
Guys are icing it right now.  Just dont go out in the middle yet.  Typical mac stuff, white or green tubes with sucker meat, egg sacs, I remember a guy was using a large white marabou jig tipped with a thin strip of sucker meat and slayed the macs.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline iceseaker1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2009, 10:07 AM »
Jefferson lake rocks its extremely deep and great fishing i fished the west side of the lake by the inlet and could not keep the macs off the line using sucker meat cut in 1 in strips by about 2 inches hooked on white or green tube jig at a depth of 28-40 feet of water. be very careful of the inlet i was slushy and tricky to get to. i miss that lake

as for getting there its a 5 mile or more sled ride thru snow from the parking area and if heavy snow there is one spot where the side hill is steep at about 60 Degrees if no one has ridden it before you. post how you did let us know. by the boat ramp there is also opportunity's to catch rainbows along the shore at about 15 feet.

Offline slimer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2009, 02:45 PM »
There are much better laker lakes in Colorado that you can get to without a snow machine.  Twin, WF, Granby, Shadow Mtn to name a few...  But if you want solitude, Jefferson is the place.   Last year was rough on the snowmobiles though since the road thawed a LOT in places.  YOu're not supposed to take an ATV up there and if caught will have to pay a fine, but I know people that have done it.

Offline Muddskippa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Quartz Lake Rainbow
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2009, 04:49 AM »
Thanks for the info all, I'll let you know how it goes tonight when I get back.

Muddskippa

Offline Muddskippa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Quartz Lake Rainbow
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2009, 12:30 PM »
Had a great day at Jefferson managed 7 lakers and 1 rainbow the largest being a 23" tagged laker.  The road leading to the lake was packed snow with a couple of icy spots maid it all the way up in 2WD with a little slipping.

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2009, 04:54 PM »
Nice catch Muddskippa!

Offline soup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2009, 06:42 PM »
nice fish and welcome to Colorado. :-)
good things come to those who wait......Im still waiting!!!

Offline fire-n-ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2009, 07:32 PM »
hey muddskippa how close can you drive to the lake. Did you walk in or snow machine?

Offline iceseaker1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2009, 10:55 AM »
way to go  ;D glad you made it how deep was the ice and were did you fish. sounds liek you made it with no porblems adn i see you have a hand auger (you will need to get a power one soon) have you tryed tarryal or 11 mile yet? even antero?

Offline Muddskippa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Quartz Lake Rainbow
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2009, 03:10 PM »
Ice averaged around 12" but I fished from 14" down to 6" in the middle of the lake.  I drove all the way to the boat launch road was packed snow  with a few icy spots on the hills where the sun had melted it a little I made it all the way up in 2WD I dont see why they would close the road unless they get a foot or more of snow. Guess Ill have to start bringing my 4 wheeler for when they close the road. Havent icefished any of the other lakes yet plan on hitting 1 or 2 this weekend Id like to hit antero or 11 mile.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.