Author Topic: Bait tanks  (Read 1298 times)

Offline spanky1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bait tanks
« on: Nov 30, 2009, 06:51 PM »
I was asked in another thread about my bait tank so here is some info.

This is a 27 gallon tote from Lowe's with a dual air pump, 2 aquarium bubble stones and an aquarium filter

If you're planning on keeping fall fish in the tanks, GET A GOOD TIGHT FITTING LID! These fish are crazy! 5 jumped out in the time it took to take one picture. The suicidal bastids! They try to jump out in the small opening near the filter!!

Changing the water (don't forget to dechlorinate) every few weeks will keep these guys alive most of the winter. Their urine(ammonia) must be cleared out regularly. My tank is not very big and is pretty much just for my pike baits. I have a bait shop very close to my house and I'll get fresh shiners the day before a trip as I need them. It is nice to always have bait available all the time.

The colder the water the better the oxygen level so keep it in an unheated garage, basement or outside if possible.

Hopefully E will post a pic of his setup...pretty sweet! ;D
Don't give up, don't EVER give up - Jimmy V

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Bait tanks
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2009, 06:57 PM »
Nice set up. Kapt. would be proud. Lots of O2 for them. :tipup:

Offline fishingman17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2009, 09:05 PM »
a dual air pump, 2 aquarium bubble stones and an aquarium filter

Spanky where can you get these things because i want to keep bait alive in the winter to and stock up i already have a container
thanks for all your help

Offline spanky1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2009, 09:42 PM »
a dual air pump, 2 aquarium bubble stones and an aquarium filter

Spanky where can you get these things

All at your local walmart.  ;D   My pleasure to help. Nothing like having bait ready when you need it.

Once you're set up, visit Blaine at CTOutfitters and buy bulk bait (if you're not catching your own) and have bait all season at your fingertips! He also sells the water conditioner (Better Bait I think it's called).

Good luck
Don't give up, don't EVER give up - Jimmy V

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2009, 09:58 PM »
duel air pump is about $15 at walmart, and the bigger filter was about $33 i think. bout to go get mine just made a plastic 55 gal. drum real clean for my new tank

Trooper Bri

« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:02 PM »
Lookin' good Spanker! I gotta get psyched up for fishing. Dragging the stuff outta the closet this week will help. So will NOT waking up to 53 degrees! Grrr...

Kapt added a small addition to the garage this weekend to house his fishing stuff (another garage rework), so he'll have his ice stuff sorted out soon too.

Offline fishingman17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2009, 04:59 PM »
thanks very much for your help might have to wait a week or two just dumped 240 dollars on my s10 pickup on 2 new snow tires and a heater core so thanks for everthing cant wait to get ou ton the ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.