The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Post ice conditions around WI here.  (Read 31366 times)

Offline bbmonkey

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Post ice conditions around WI here.
« Reply #90 on: Dec 17, 2009, 12:47 PM »
Fished Baldwin area today, 6" of good ice :o

Anything biting there. I am heading there tomorrow for the day.

Offline minnowdrowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T-bar!!!
« Reply #91 on: Dec 17, 2009, 12:57 PM »
Anything biting there. I am heading there tomorrow for the day.

What lakes are around there? I just moved over here and work right in Hammond. I haven't really seen any lakes that have caught my eye in the area. If you don't mind potentially revealing your spot ;) I would appreciate some info on lakes in the Baldwin/Hammond area.
How many times do I gotta go through holes before I watch where I'm going? I am an amateur fisherman, but an all star minnow drowner!

Offline bbmonkey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Dec 18, 2009, 12:36 AM »
North of Baldwin is Pine Lake. I have had pretty good luck out there. I have a few spots on the lake where I can always catch fish.

Offline minnowdrowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T-bar!!!
« Reply #93 on: Dec 18, 2009, 07:19 AM »
Thanks a lot, I'll try not to catch all the fish since you were kind enough to let me know a lake ;) ;D  I've been trying to figure out somewhere to go around here after work without having to drive too far out of my way.
How many times do I gotta go through holes before I watch where I'm going? I am an amateur fisherman, but an all star minnow drowner!

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #94 on: Dec 18, 2009, 03:23 PM »
I went to Miller Dam - also know as Chequamegon Waters in Taylor County today. Had a fairly good day. I caught around 10 big slab gills. There were several wheelers and tons of portable shacks out today on the south end. The ice on the south end was around 7" every where I drilled. I talked to a guy who was coming off of the main lake and he said he had 6" to 7" out in the middle. He said that he had seen one wheeler out there.

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #95 on: Dec 18, 2009, 03:29 PM »
I talked to someone who fished Otter Lake in Chippewa County and they said there was 3" of ice on the north end and 8" on the south end of the lake. I know there are several springs on that lake so check a lake map before venturing out too far.

Offline Greentrey81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Dec 18, 2009, 04:58 PM »
Also there is eau galle rec. area. its good crappie water.. Fish it every year.. 

Offline Greentrey81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Dec 18, 2009, 05:03 PM »
Quick question for you.. Iv always had good luck in the summer for bass on pine lake. My largest this year was 7 Pounds. Also i know there is alot of perch and pan fish. My question is where during the winter do you think i should try. Also another thing i know there is wallye in there i see guys run that channel by the boat launch. Do you think it would be worth while to drill a few holes some where on the channel or go to the south end and find deeper water?

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #98 on: Dec 18, 2009, 06:20 PM »
Stevens Point area -

Rusty's backwater saloon had 6 inches of good ice.
There was also 6 inches of ice at the pipe.

Lots of people out.

Wiener

Offline P. Nasty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Dec 19, 2009, 03:18 PM »
Quick question for you.. Iv always had good luck in the summer for bass on pine lake. My largest this year was 7 Pounds. Also i know there is alot of perch and pan fish. My question is where during the winter do you think i should try. Also another thing i know there is wallye in there i see guys run that channel by the boat launch. Do you think it would be worth while to drill a few holes some where on the channel or go to the south end and find deeper water?

During the winter I have really only jigged for panfish and set some tip ups. I have given a try for walleye south of the second point in probably the deepest water on Pine with no success. I too would like to find a couple walleyes if possible, but for now I'm just happy to be out fishin again.

Offline wi iceguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Hey it's sunny out!"
« Reply #100 on: Dec 19, 2009, 03:21 PM »
Wow, this thread has reached 100 replies! Keep up the updates!  ;D
Ice is on the lake so we're goin' fishin'!

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #101 on: Dec 19, 2009, 05:33 PM »
Fox Lake in Dodge County has 6ish inches so far as of today, depending on where you are on the lake.

Update, now 8 inches as of today.

Offline bbmonkey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Dec 19, 2009, 06:02 PM »

Through the ice i  like to try two spots. First is right out from the landing, about 3/4 the way across. The other is towards the south end. When they get the aerator going I like to fish by the ropes. i always do well there.

I have never seen a walleye in the winter. The only perch I have seen are very small. There are very nice bluegills and some monster northern.

Offline Frabill 44

• IceShanty Rookie
  • St.Croix alls i need!! Chicago Fire Department
« Reply #103 on: Dec 19, 2009, 06:29 PM »
Does anyone know the ice conditions in kenosha county? I called a couple of bait shops and they said around 2 inches last week.

Offline Huckster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Dec 19, 2009, 09:05 PM »
I saw on the news today (Channel 18) that a pickup truck went through the ice on Lake Altoona.  The news showed the rear of the truck sticking out of the hole.  From the looks of the truck it looked to be a 1/2 ton Chevy or GMC.  Both the driver and passenger got out and are fine.  I guess somebody has to be the first one to go through every year!

http://www.wqow.com/global/story.asp?s=11705262

Offline paullo19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Dec 19, 2009, 09:28 PM »
Thanks for the link! Peeps are NUTS to drive on Altoona,especially where these guys were,Seymore landing area...There were full size pick ups all over this morning,not for me.Plus the fishing stinks!!! Paul

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #106 on: Dec 19, 2009, 10:10 PM »
Yeah I just saw that (about the truck) I like to drive on as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to be stupid about it!! Come on people use your head ???  :cookoo:

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline conwayice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jolly roger I think it's up
« Reply #107 on: Dec 20, 2009, 07:03 PM »
7 to 8" in st. croix county, kind of slow fishing so far

Offline stinkynathan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #108 on: Dec 20, 2009, 10:19 PM »
Thanks for the link! Peeps are NUTS to drive on Altoona,especially where these guys were,Seymore landing area...There were full size pick ups all over this morning,not for me.Plus the fishing stinks!!! Paul

11" out on Altoon this afternoon. Will be setting my shack down tomorrow. Not sure if I'm going to drive it, but I'll report back on the ice either way. Tip-ups are here in my office getting the once over. Can't wait to get out there.

Offline KQ700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Dec 20, 2009, 10:43 PM »
Today I drove by the View on Lake Wissota there was some dumb A#* was parked out on the ice. With that guy going thow the ice a Altoona on Sat. someone is go to die if people don't start useing some commun sence, not to mention the people that are risking their live to pull some one out that was too lazy to walk. A little commun sence goes a long way.
A Bad Day Fishing Is Better Than A Good Day At Work
Member of FLW & B.A.S.S.

Offline stinkynathan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #110 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:39 PM »
I had 11.5 inches on Altoona today straight out from the county boat ramp. No problems driving my Ford Escape out there, but I wish the guy near me in the suburban would have kept his distance a bit more. The ice was making some nasty noises with that thing driving around.

Offline BigJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Dec 21, 2009, 07:58 PM »
A guy from the hunters nest went through on Saturday while riding a four wheeler , he didn't make it! Big Muskego, bee careful out there guys!

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Dec 25, 2009, 10:07 AM »
Conditions of ice vary more than a Congressmans principles. 

Around Cauldron Falls/High Falls area.  Reports from reliable folks say a solid 8" on High Falls around the "Chocolate Drop", yet reports for Cauldron say 6" close to shore, to having a spud break through while working toward the deep.  These two flowages are separated by a dam.

I'm going out next week..., on foot until I know myself what conditions are like, or I see some fool driving around on an ATV breaking trail for me.

Offline Frabill 44

• IceShanty Rookie
  • St.Croix alls i need!! Chicago Fire Department
« Reply #113 on: Dec 25, 2009, 10:31 AM »
this 40 degree weather and rain aint good for the ice in southern wisconsin >:(

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Dec 25, 2009, 11:28 AM »
this 40 degree weather and rain aint good for the ice in southern wisconsin >:(

Yeah but I'm only 40 miles from the U.P. border, so it ain't so Joe.

Offline BigJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:35 AM »
Went out yesterday on Pleasant lake, Walworth county, 5 inches everywhere I fished. Only small perch 8 to 18 feet of water.

Offline wilenard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Dec 28, 2009, 05:10 PM »
Variable conditions here in the Rhinelander area. 4-6 inches of ice but slushy/crusty conditions on top that will makle your heart skip a beat!  ;)
"Success comes before work only in the dictionary"

"No God, no love; Know God, know love!"

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #117 on: Dec 28, 2009, 05:21 PM »
Variable conditions here in the Rhinelander area. 4-6 inches of ice but slushy/crusty conditions on top that will makle your heart skip a beat!  ;)

Go figure hey?  I'm just south of Iron Mountain in Marinette County.  We got the same C--p  Guys down south driving ATV's on the ice, and we are afraid to walk on it.  I guess I will just have to get the snowshoes on with the Michigan (kick-off) bindings, and buddy it for awhile.

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Dec 28, 2009, 06:20 PM »
UPDATE!!!  Dec. 28, 2009

One dead going through the ice in Forest county.  The guy went cruising the ice with his daughter in a UTV,  broke through, daughter ok, he died.

Not much else to add to that!

Offline stinkynathan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #119 on: Dec 28, 2009, 11:17 PM »
Anyone been out on Altoona since the storm? I was in north-central SD for Christmas (nasty weather for 4 days straight), then came back to hear about a bunch of rain in the Eau Claire area.

How's the ice on Altoona? My shack is still out there and I probably at least need to get out there and check on it before I leave for another 3 days this weekend  ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.