Author Topic: Thanksgiving morning on the CT River  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanksgiving morning on the CT River
« on: Nov 26, 2009, 01:33 PM »
Georgie and I launched from Wethersfield Cove at 6 and headed down to White Oaks in search of crappie. It was a bit foggy and flat assed calm. It felt great to be out on the water again. No problem getting in the cove at all this morning. I had all of our small bait separated in a bucket with holes in the same tank I keep my pondies at home. Some how they all died overnight, the pondies were fine. Oh well, dead shiners would have to work. It didn't take long to find the cribs. There were a few crappie on them but not what we were hoping for.

We caught a few but decided to move on to look for a bigger school.
As we moved down the bank towards the next crib, the Humminbird lit up with fish. It was a pretty big school. We dropped down and instantly were both hooked up... These weren't crappie   :o

We had a ball pounding the cats. Small jigs tipped with dead shiners on 4 pound test. I had one that was over 12 pounds on the Boga... A new PB cat for me. I've seen them balled up in the deep holes of the river when the water is at it's coldest but I've never seen so many of them in the cove together.

Ater a many cats, we got back in to crappie mode and located a crib that was loaded  with what we were looking for.

We made a pass directly over the crib and tossed out a marker bouy on top of it. For the next hour we put a hurting on them   ;D We fished within a 20 foot radius and used 2 rods each. One rod was actively jigged with a new Lindy Darter. I dead sticked a dead shiner on a 1/16 oz head on the other rod. At times it was hard to keep up.
Georgie kept 5 for a couple of meals and the rest were put back for the ice season

The club land surrounding the cove sounded like a war zone with all the members gunning for pheasant this morning. A couple of times we even had shot raining down in the water near the boat. We even watched a pheasant fly from the woods and crash in to the cove. Kinda weird to watch one swim. If anyone had asked me if they could swim I would have said no way but the little guy made it to shore in no time and ran back into the brush to hide.

We were back on the trailer by 10:45. Not a bad few hours on the river. The conditions were perfect and the fishing just as good.

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
Re: Thanksgiving morning on the CT River
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2009, 01:37 PM »
NOW THATS HOW YA SPEND TURKEY DAY MORNIN!  Great job guys, I gotta get out soon, Im going on over a month with no "real" fishing.   One helluva cat blaine, those are the fun ones, I tangled with one on Rons boat in the cove during crappie fest that almost whooped me on 4lb test.

E

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2009, 01:44 PM »
Congrats guys. How did the Lindy Darter do?
Nice cat.

Offline PIKEKILLER1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2009, 04:00 PM »
nice cat

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2009, 08:23 PM »
Nice cat! Tried getting out for a short hunt this morning. Man that fog was thick. My partner backed out and on the drive I yhought twice about it. Coulnt get over 35, and that was pushing it. Isn't gps a god send. ;D

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2009, 12:28 PM »
Nice bet those cats were a blast. Some nice crappies to.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2009, 01:35 PM »
way to go blaine, nice way to spend the holiday!!!
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.