The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: My new JIffy STX PRO II has arrived!  (Read 6128 times)

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
My new JIffy STX PRO II has arrived!
« on: Nov 24, 2009, 05:46 PM »
I am in posession of the new Jiffy model STX PRO II with the 3HP (?) 3500 series engine, and 10" auger.
It sure is pretty although generally made of plastic in many places. First place an eye wanders to is the "smoke stack" exhaust pipe that is surely better placed anywhere but where it is sticking up out the top of the engine plastic housing.  Any nylon suit or glove will be torn on the sharp edges. I still haven't figured it out, it will burn a hole in nylon when hot.

I read the manual as required, fueled her up with the 40:1 and was dismayed when I turned it over at such a short starter cord. Made me feel like another foot of cord would have bankrupted the manufacturer. I eyeballed it to be 36 inches but that is not nearly enough for a full grown man with 34 inch sleeves. I abruptly stopped against the anchor of the pull rope each time and can see that in my usage will damage that shorty pull cord some time in the future. Primed, choked, started right up. Warmed up a minute or two at 35 degrees.   I put the protected auger on 3 inches of packed snow since we do not have valid ice near by and idled her up to engage the clutch.  As the auger came up to speed I discovered the most terrible sound I have ever heard, It sounded like a pair of dry fiberglass plastic gears messing against each other at a very high pitch. What is this, a defect or just junk?
I will call the factory tomorrow. Maybe after some use it will quiet down.
Over all, it's sort of pretty. It did start well except for the too-short pull cord. I loved the bright yellow foam handles.
Now to return it, or find some ice to drill.  I will do a proper auger review in the equipment part of the web site as soon as I can get out on some ice in the coming days.
Recommend or not recommend:  Today, not recommend. What is that terrible gear noise?   Maybe it gets better on the ice.
Thread killer

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My new JIffy STX PRO II has arrived!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2009, 06:32 PM »
I looked at the new jiffy's and with close inspection I found on the engine 3 words MADE IN CHINA. I was not happy. Engineered in wisonson and manufactured in china. Dont get me wrong some stuff from china is ok. I am not going to take a chance buying a new jiffy that is 400 plus dollars. Also their gear box housing is now plastic. As WYIfish mentioned the smoke stack is in a bad place. Jiffy went from a mostly metal auger to a chineese plastic engine and gear box. I don't think that i will be purchasing a new jiffy auger any time soon.

Offline ryaninwy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2009, 09:49 PM »
sounds like my ten year old model 30 is gaining in value....  :o
This Icefishing obsession i have never melts away....

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2009, 10:17 PM »
I agree, my old  +- 28 year old  model 30 was in the paper two weeks ago and a couple tried to talk me down in price but it is not for sale today. I will probably need it for a back up and maybe right away if the plastic meshing/missing gears noise is not resolved with a phone call tomorrow to the factory. Sure is pretty to look at the new one, bright and shiny colors are exciting, maybe the best brand is not brand new.   Carburator rebuilt three years ago, new cutting blades three years ago, I cleaned it up with a little paint, just like new only better.
Thread killer

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2009, 11:08 PM »
Bought my new Jiffy 2 years ago, all metal, no plastic, light, easy starting...feel like I dodged a bullet. Don
                                                                 LT Iceshanty/MFF Moderator  :tipup:

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2009, 11:46 PM »

X2

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2009, 01:01 AM »
Bought my new Jiffy 2 years ago, all metal, no plastic, light, easy starting...feel like I dodged a bullet. Don
                                                                 LT Iceshanty/MFF Moderator  :tipup:
intentionally bought a STX (not pro) last year cuz i had an inkling this would happen when the new ones came out...wish i had this foresight in the stock market!!!!

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2009, 11:21 AM »
I spoke to the factory marketing this morning, and to a 20 year tech.  The tech. said "The gears do make noise on some machines more than others. It should quiet down some as it gets used.   The engine is like a weed eater and does not need a long pull to start. The exhaust tip can be removed or turned if it is a problem."   That being said, they proudly stand behind their warranty and offer that I will be very happy after I cut holes.

They would not discuss the engine other than it is rated by cc's and not horse power and it is producing more horsepower than the old models.   They will not discuss who mfg. the engine.

It's your call to buy one or not. I am not employed nor receive compensation from Jiffy/Feldmann Eng.  I can not recommend nor poo-poo this engine until I cut some ice. There is a great deal of plastic and plastic sounds associated with my unit. I don't see this as an heirloom like the old model 30's.
Off to find some ice...

Thread killer

Offline BIG WEST

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2009, 11:49 PM »
Whats up WYIfish. I just got a new auger myself. I got the eskimo viper with the 71 cc 3.7 hp engine. thing seems mean but wont know till I fire it up. Kind of bums me out a little because the throttle handle is plastic. I hope that dosent  become an issue because as you know these augers arent cheap. I looked at the jiffys but went with the eskimo because my other auger was an eskimo and it treated me right for about 16 years. I was reading your thread and i hope all goes well with your jiffy. that would be a stinker if  you had problems that couldnt be resolved. Let us know how everything panned out. Ill drop a line to let ya know how the eskimo runs. hope we both have good luck nothig worse than an auger you cant have faith in. Anyways good luck have a good season out there and be safe....          big west                                                                                                         

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2009, 11:59 PM »
Whats up WYIfish. I just got a new auger myself. I got the eskimo viper with the 71 cc 3.7 hp engine. thing seems mean but wont know till I fire it up. Kind of bums me out a little because the throttle handle is plastic. I hope that dosent  become an issue because as you know these augers arent cheap. I looked at the jiffys but went with the eskimo because my other auger was an eskimo and it treated me right for about 16 years. I was reading your thread and i hope all goes well with your jiffy. that would be a stinker if  you had problems that couldnt be resolved. Let us know how everything panned out. Ill drop a line to let ya know how the eskimo runs. hope we both have good luck nothig worse than an auger you cant have faith in. Anyways good luck have a good season out there and be safe....          big west                                                                                                         
We have ice, not enough to walk on today, may be by Wednesday.  Then, it's spud time, maybe auger time in another week or so.   
Yes, a large plastic sounding disappointment at the moment.  Maybe it runs in ice better than it sounds out on the lawn. Very bad plastic wherring noise emminating from the gear box. Sounds like the large gear is rubbing on the plastic housing. Jiffy says to drill some holes and it should quiet down. Two reps heard it over the cell phone. Sorry reps.
Thread killer

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2009, 12:19 AM »
not to rain on your parade, but it will quiet down when it wears what ever is making the noise.    Let us know how it does out on the hard stuff.
Don

Offline Ouzel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2009, 03:29 AM »
I was all set to order a new one till this. Now the decision is whether to go with a new Z71 or keep searching craigslist and the nifty nickel for a Jiffy 30. 

Offline bottomslimer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2009, 10:38 AM »
I think i will take better care and hold on to mine. I have 2 model 30's a 3 hp and a3.5 that they onley made for a little while both run great . my concern is how long will parts be available. mabey the new ones will be better than we think. Its the new wave of made in china ??? b.s.

Offline chazmatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • go fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2009, 10:50 AM »
jiffy went to china made motors, strikemaster went to german made motors the choice is yours but i like german enginering better!. my old strikemaster is 10 yrs old still going strong and still looks like new

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2009, 05:59 PM »
The new 3500 series motor is American engineering, not Chinese engineering, just ask Jiffy. The motors are Chinese manufactured.  Is the German engine German engineered, or just German manufactured?
Save your old Jiffys.   
Thread killer

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2009, 03:44 PM »
Full disclosure, I represent Jiffy as an independent contractor.  Feldmann Engineering is an engineering company.  Their research and testing processes are well defined and documented.  In today's world, negative assumptions become a priority versus the truth in a situation or this case product.   Our engineers are smart people, why would they introduce a product that could bring potential bias or harm to Jiffy's brand or your experience?  To the plastics question - who has more plastic on their auger engines - Eskimo, Strikemaster, Jiffy?  Overall, they are near equal.  The front of my $45,000.00 Yukon is plastic; the Space Shuttle that landed a few days ago is comprised of "plastics".  [A side bar, please review Jiffy's gears, brash bushings, stainless steel bearings, thickness of gear case, gauge of auger shaft steel, gauge of steel used for our auger flites, the size of our "Power Point", D-Icer Armor, the reliability of our blades.....all equally important components as to an engine.]

Quality counts!  Jiffy focuses on quality.  Jiffy designed and engineered their own engines.  Jiffy did not rely on the German's or Chinese to design an engine, "the tail wagging the dog"; we relied on our knowledge of physics, engineering outcome, torque, RPM capacities, etc...to give you the best outcome, i.e., cutting experience.  It is unfortunate or fortunate that our manufacturing has become a Global business.  The globalization of business prevented Jiffy from having its engine manufactured in the United States, and here is the unfortunate; you cannot even product a transistor radio in the United States any more.

Ok, then it turns to which country is better - Germany, Norway, China, Canada, etc.  If a bias or a preference exists because of countries image, I cannot fight that fight.  To assume a product from one country is better because of political, race or history is a path I will not travel.  What I know is this; Jiffy designed and engineered its own engine, giving our customers a better performance than previous engines, from a manufacturing source that is accountable for producing some of the best engines in the World; yes the World - companies in Germany use Jiffy's manufacturing source.

Now let us turn to the World's economy - The evaluation of the US dollar today is week.  $1.47 equals One Euro.  This means any products purchased in Europe [Germany] with US dollars will face an unwarranted cost increase of .47 cent per dollar; in essence, a 1.47 up-charge for a product made in Europe.  Is this fair to you?  Jiffy consciously considered your money, your wallet.  In today's economy, Jiffy had to create the best possible engine, produce the best possible engine, but also took an additional step, protecting your ice fishing budget too.  Jiffy did not increase their pricing, our competitors did.  Why?  US dollars vs. Euros. 

For 12 years I have answered the "Ford vs. Chevy" questions.  Facts are easy to address, bias or unfounded opinion is far more difficult.  Please stop by the Jiffy booth during the St. Paul Ice Show.  I will warmly welcome any question, replying in absolute fact.

Thank you for reading this post.  And to our Jiffy customers, thank you for your replies, which reflect a tone of pride and knowledge.

Wonderful! Now maybe YOU can help me.  I bought a new jiffy STX PRO II and I am not happy with it at all.  I spoke to TOM MILLER and a 20 year tech, they listened to my jiffy's really noisy gears scraping the inside of he plastic housing really loudly over my phone, both heard it. Their comment was "it will make some noise, all do, some more than others"  "Use it and it will quiet down".   I also have issue with the short pull cord.  They noted it is like a weed eater and only needs a short pull. Maybe when my long 34 " sleeve rips the pull cord out, I will go buy a weed eater to practice on.  I am very disappointed in Jiffy's help in his matter.
Thread killer

Offline rubline

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2009, 03:49 PM »
 L.L. Beans in Freeport Maine has a hole stack of U.S motor Jiffy augers left over from last year.

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2009, 03:55 PM »
I have a strikemaster that my dad bought over 15years ago. The thing is amazing. Starts in just a few pulls even when its below zero. The only work ever done to it is change the spark plug and sharpen the blade (still the original blade too). I'd recommend taking it out once, and if its garbage, which it sounds like, take it back and get something else.
Activly studying to manage your Wyoming waters

Offline Coloradie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2009, 05:25 PM »
I own a Jiffy and I'm very happy - granted I do not own the new version (three years old STX). I think you should give it a try and then see how you feel. My pull cord is long and I have long arms but you really should not pull the cord that far when you start it up. I use short pulls to start - thats all it takes and your pull cord will last forever that way! Good luck.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2009, 05:38 PM »
I own a Jiffy and I'm very happy - granted I do not own the new version (three years old STX). I think you should give it a try and then see how you feel. My pull cord is long and I have long arms but you really should not pull the cord that far when you start it up. I use short pulls to start - thats all it takes and your pull cord will last forever that way! Good luck.
Dear Coloradie;   I am 56 years old, have operated two stroke recoils since being 10 years old, graduated with strait A's from small engines course at a voc. tech. school when younger.  Have owned over three dozen two stroke single cylinder engines with recoils, gears, clutches, etc, owned over a dozen snowmobiles, half dozen chain saws, half dozen weed eaters, out board motors, lawn mowers, generators, two stroke water pump engines, you get the idea that I have used recoils before? The new 3500 jiffy engineered mystrey engine has too short of a pull cord.  That is my unbiased, professional opinion.  I know why pull cords fail, why recoil starters wear out, have fixed dozens.   My review of the pull cord on the new jiffy is it will be jerked out by accident since I am a grown man with an ice drill, not a 12 year old with a weed eater which also have issues with recoil starters.
If I were more wise, I would have lived with the old loose 30 model jiffy I now own and saved a large headache and $500!
Thread killer

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2009, 06:47 PM »
Well he gave you answers to all of your concerns, right or wrong. Bottom line, customer service is customer service and instead of giving you the history of global economics, plastics on the front of HIS vehicle, Japan vs. Germany, etc... the one thing I haven't either read in the thread, or have heard you say they asked you is...

"Sorry you have concerns about your ice auger purchase from us. How can we make it right for you, sir?"

Take all your argumentative responses as a rep for Jiffy back to the house and learn a little proper customer service and you won;t have to be defending yourself within the thread! I've been in sales for 16+ years and am appalled at the response you received from a Jiffy rep here. Maybe if you were in a bar and owned a "competitor" product and were arguing the pros and cons of each, but to respond in this manner to someone who actually purchased the item, then had basically the brush-off from the tech support??? C'mon man!!!

Take it for what it's worth, I won't be purchasing a Jiffy Auger this year nor will I be purchasing any Jiffy products in the near future. And I'm now glad I didn't pick up their spudbar while in Rapid City yesterday.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2009, 06:55 PM »
Well he gave you answers to all of your concerns, right or wrong. Bottom line, customer service is customer service and instead of giving you the history of global economics, plastics on the front of HIS vehicle, Japan vs. Germany, etc... the one thing I haven't either read in the thread, or have heard you say they asked you is...

"Sorry you have concerns about your ice auger purchase from us. How can we make it right for you, sir?"

Take all your argumentative responses as a rep for Jiffy back to the house and learn a little proper customer service and you won;t have to be defending yourself within the thread! I've been in sales for 16+ years and am appalled at the response you received from a Jiffy rep here. Maybe if you were in a bar and owned a "competitor" product and were arguing the pros and cons of each, but to respond in this manner to someone who actually purchased the item, then had basically the brush-off from the tech support??? C'mon man!!!

Take it for what it's worth, I won't be purchasing a Jiffy Auger this year nor will I be purchasing any Jiffy products in the near future. And I'm now glad I didn't pick up their spudbar while in Rapid City yesterday.
I have just PM'ed the factory spokesperson/ blah blah contractor guy with the option to call me in the morning and I will play my noisy gear problem for him over the phone as I did to the Jiffy marketing guy and his tech.
I offered he may play the recording to anyone he likes, especially prospective new jiffy customers at his St Paul Ice Show.
Let me wait patiently to see if he takes me up on it.

I have been in sales with my own small business for 11 years and sold for other businesses for over 15 years/customer rep. and I can identify a brush off in a couple of forms....
I had to laugh at his thoughts on us ever questioning the great and powerful OZ, err, Jiffy, the name Bernie Madoff comes to mind.
Thread killer

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2009, 07:21 PM »
Do you know what the engine durability rating is?

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 2009, 07:41 PM »
I am more than willing to help any customer, yet previous posts indicated along with calls to Jiffy the purchaser has yet to use the unit.  In addition, how can I address bias or unfounded concerns.  As I read these responses, I hope any party calls to discuss our service or issues surrounding the quality of product.  Log onto Jiffy or call Jiffy for my contact number. www.jiffyonice.com  I will not hide from any call, knowing courtesy with be respected. [As a side note, per 1,000 units sold last year, failure rate on this engine was less than 1%.]

In addition, if you have a past Tecumseh engine and blame Strikemaster or Jiffy for its failures or have experienced an extraordinary life cycle with the engine, your praise Jiffy or Strikemaster.  Either case, it is Tecumseh's message to receive. 

My post will not pacify some, but that is okay.  Opinions are like what?  Everyone has one. Yet more important, time is the greatest friend of truth and facts.  In time, opinions will shift towards a more positive tone as people experience the truth and facts. 
I have started my NEW STX PRO II about a dozen times. I have reved it up to engauge the auger each time. Two of these times It was listened to via phone with a factory marketing person, and a 20 year tech. Both said it will wear in and quiet down.
We have 3 inches of ice, I fished last Sunday and left the new jiffy at home in favor of a spud since the ice was so thin.  With the very abnormal to me destruction of the inside of the plastic gear housing by the larger gear, I really don't want to wear the sound away as it eats up the inside of the plastic gear housing. I have let them know it's a problem. I am not happy, I will cut some holes in the following days, probably Saturday since I have a radio show on ice fishing to do tomorrow, and a lecture on ice fishing for a room full of people on Thursday evening that is highly publicised, and jury duty on friday.

A cute note, the thread "MY new Jiffy STX PRO II has arrived! is very google searchable if you are looking for any information on a jiffy review or jiffy information on the STX PRO II this thread is about the third choice!

I called Brain this evening and wiil again in the morning. If jiffy can't focus on the problem, maybe the factory represenative can (I hope).
Thread killer

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2009, 07:45 PM »
Okay guys, this is way out of hand and has gone considerably above ice-fishing gear-discussion, the arguing ends here or I lock the thread. This isn't the place to settle a defective products issue. Try PM'ing each other, but  whatever it's worth, I bought a new outboard last year and it didn't run right with a water hose hookup, but was fine in the water, no noise, no problem, the prop and gears needed the resistance of the water. Keep er civil
                                                            LT/Iceshanty Moderator  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.