Author Topic: Which Buddy Heater???  (Read 3493 times)

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
Which Buddy Heater???
« on: Nov 24, 2009, 10:49 AM »
I just bought a new Clam Kodiack flip over and was considering buying a heater this year also (spoiling myself this year) and was looking at the Buddy heaters but not ever using one did not know which one would be best. I don't need it 80 in my shanty but would I be better off with the big buddy or the smaller one, I always just used my lantern in my Clam 2000 but if you flip up the Kodiack you will lose all of your heat immediately, whats your guys with Buddy heaters thoughts ???  Thanks

Offline MaxAntonious

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Which Buddy Heater???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2009, 11:05 AM »
I wouldnt think you would need more than the portable buddy.  From what I have read and heard the Big buddy would just cook you out of the Kodiak.
Fish Hard or Go Home

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2009, 11:44 AM »
I have the portable buddy in my 4person Ice Cube and wish I had of sprung for the bigger one. Most days it is fine but when the temp gets below -20 C it just keeps up
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline Kilroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2009, 11:51 AM »
I have the Big Buddy, it has 3 settings and a blower if you so decide to use it. I bought it a few years back when we had an ice storm go through and had no electricity for 5 days. For the little extra money and the possibility of turning it up or down, it has been a good purchase. I used it in -28 with the wind blowing, in my Yukon and we were fishing in our shirts. I have several different size propane jugs to hook up to it if I plan on staying for the weekend. Knock on wood, I have never had any problems with this unit.

Kilroy
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/382548/TeamSDlogo1-1.jpg

If It Smells Like Fish And Tastes Like Fish.......It Just Might Be Fish.

Kilroy Was Here ~~~o00o~(_)~o00o~~~

Offline DEADONDYLAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2009, 12:08 PM »
for the extra money get the big it adjusts to both the high(9,000 btus) and low(4.500 btus) settings on the littlebuddy  but doubles(18,000btus) power at its high setting the best of both and only slightly larger. I have a voyager and scout little is perfect for the scout and big is great in voyager.

Offline toddyrotten

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing is idiot proof. Idiots are resourceful.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2009, 12:16 PM »
I have a Big Buddy as well and no regrets. The blower is a nice feature, but adds some weight with the D batteries in it. I also use it out in the garage.

Offline Russ-T

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2009, 12:21 PM »
i bought a Kodiak also and am planning on using my regular buddy heater with it. I insulated the roof also. For me it came down to size and weight. the regular buddy is so much lighter then the big buddy and i have one of those clam fan/light combos (which you need in the tall Kodiak) so i don't need the fan built in. The temps here have only been around the 30's but it gets it plenty warm. Not sure how it will work colder on the ice. If i need more heat I will just put my lantern under my seat along with the buddy. If size and weight don't matter to you then you can't go wrong with the big one though. I'm still trying to find the best way to seal the gaps between the fabric and sled. This will help tremendously.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2009, 12:31 PM »
Russ said it best.  Just depends on how much room you have.  I end up walking out a lot, so I wouldn't want the bigger heater, but if you are driving right to your spot and setting up, then the bigger heater doesn't hurt.  I try to go as light as I can whenever I can.  I find I go fishing more often and move more once I'm set up than if I have a lot of stuff.  A pound of gear here and there adds up quickly and can make a big difference in how you fish. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2009, 12:37 PM »
Small buddy will suit you fine. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2009, 12:44 PM »
I have the little buddy and get along fine in most cases. I have thought about getting a big buddy, but I don't think I really need one. It would probably be nice to have the extra capacity for heating if I needed it. If it gets too cold, I always have my sunflower heater. All I really need is something to keep the chill off and keep my holes open.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2009, 01:00 PM »
i bought a Kodiak also and am planning on using my regular buddy heater with it. I insulated the roof also. For me it came down to size and weight. the regular buddy is so much lighter then the big buddy and i have one of those clam fan/light combos (which you need in the tall Kodiak) so i don't need the fan built in. The temps here have only been around the 30's but it gets it plenty warm. Not sure how it will work colder on the ice. If i need more heat I will just put my lantern under my seat along with the buddy. If size and weight don't matter to you then you can't go wrong with the big one though. I'm still trying to find the best way to seal the gaps between the fabric and sled. This will help tremendously.

How did you insulate roof ?

Offline Swish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Big Fisherman
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2009, 01:13 PM »
This is what I got......I used it in my Clam 2000 also.  It was plenty for that.......

But now I upgraded to the Otter Lodge......I hope its enough heater now......I will get the fan/light too.  That should help.
Otter Lodge owner.

Offline Russ-T

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2009, 02:08 PM »
Slab
      I went to a local fabric store and picked up a couple yards of quilted insulated fabric. The width was almost perfect. i cut it to length and just cut small slits in it so the Velcro from the tent could pass through and wrap around the poles. Then i took it and placed it between the tent and poles. reattached the Velcro and done. It folds like it's factory installed. Some people have done the same thing with Reflectix but i thought the fabric would fold up better. Also at the fabric store there were many different colors to choose from. it was very quick and easy.

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2009, 02:25 PM »
Slab
      I went to a local fabric store and picked up a couple yards of quilted insulated fabric. The width was almost perfect. i cut it to length and just cut small slits in it so the Velcro from the tent could pass through and wrap around the poles. Then i took it and placed it between the tent and poles. reattached the Velcro and done. It folds like it's factory installed. Some people have done the same thing with Reflectix but i thought the fabric would fold up better. Also at the fabric store there were many different colors to choose from. it was very quick and easy.

Thx for tip sounds great !!! 

Offline JJK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Loves fishing and camping all year round
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2009, 04:59 PM »
I just bought a new Clam Kodiack flip over and was considering buying a heater this year also (spoiling myself this year) and was looking at the Buddy heaters but not ever using one did not know which one would be best. I don't need it 80 in my shanty but would I be better off with the big buddy or the smaller one, I always just used my lantern in my Clam 2000 but if you flip up the Kodiack you will lose all of your heat immediately, whats your guys with Buddy heaters thoughts ???  Thanks
I have a small buddy but am going to get the big one, also I have made a 45 degree deflector and mounted it on the top of my little buddy seems to direct the heat more towards you than straight up
As long as I breathe I will fish as long as I can

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2009, 05:07 PM »
The little buddy heater thats puts out a max of 9k btu will be fine for the Kodiak. It is a little small for a large 2 man or 3 man.

Offline bruce21m

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ITS MILLER TIME
« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2009, 07:45 PM »
get the big buddy ;D

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2009, 08:08 PM »
Well... does that clear it all up for you?? LOL

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #18 on: Nov 24, 2009, 08:39 PM »
i have the buddy but am going to get big buddy for this year some times you need more than 9000 btu on a cold windy day
Just enjoying life

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2009, 09:10 PM »
I have the little Buddy that we use in the Yukon and it has kept it warm enough so far.  I also have the big Buddy that I use in the garage, and can take with me in the Yukon if it is going to get real cold.  But watch out.  The big Buddy goes through propane like water on the high setting. 

In the Scout I've never needed anything beyond a single mantle lantern and a Coleman Sportcat heater when it gets real cold.  Most of the time the lantern is more than enough heat.

-Jeff

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #20 on: Nov 24, 2009, 09:16 PM »
The smaller Buddy Heater should do you just fine...fished last year in a FT Pro...cooked me out of it

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 24, 2009, 10:13 PM »
Little buddy will do you just fine..
Hard Ice

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 25, 2009, 02:19 AM »
I have both. Use the buddy in my scout and the big buddy with 2 cylinders in my 2 man trap and run it off my 20# tank in my permanent shack. Like both of them. Only issue with both of them is if you try and run the big buddy with one cylinder and the regular buddy with its single cylinder on high the cylinder will freeze up and the heater will keep going out. Don't have this problem with the big buddy if I use 2 cylinders. Very seldom have this problem using the buddy in my scout though, I don't hardly ever have to run it on high. Fin

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 25, 2009, 08:40 AM »
Well... does that clear it all up for you?? LOL

LOL  !! I think so ?????

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 25, 2009, 03:58 PM »
I use a big buddy in my frabill magnum gt. keeps me plenty warm at -20f last january. I was down to a flannel and carhartt pants. I wouldn't want to go any smaller. I can always shut it of if need be.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #25 on: Nov 29, 2009, 10:08 PM »
I have both, and I carry the Big buddy most of the time now.

You can always turn it to the low setting.

I have used it when the temps were -17 degrees and the wind was making the canvas flap around quite well.

It's nice to be out catching fish when most others are at home.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline IceManBran

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 01, 2009, 04:53 PM »
The small buddy has worked fine for me.  On super cold days, i'll bring the sunflower.  Either way, I like fishing in a tshirt.  :]

Offline Doug D

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 01, 2009, 05:14 PM »
The regular buddy has worked well for me but I have wished I had bought the big buddy on a few of those really cold days. If you do spring for the big buddy at least you know you will have the extra heat if needed.

Offline Tailgunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 01, 2009, 05:33 PM »
Do yourself a favor...Dynaglow heaters are reliable and perform flawlessly.  We now have 3 of them in our arsenal.  Home depot has them, and less money than a "buddy".  If U time it right deals can be had.  Buddy units suck, have one just over a year old.  Always issues, now won't even light....never again.  Other guys in our group have said the same thing..........

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 01, 2009, 05:39 PM »
I bet the BUDDY heaters are the most popular heaters for sportsmen. I owned mine for 6 years without a problem

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.