Author Topic: First time out  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Need to fish

• IceShanty Rookie
First time out
« on: Nov 17, 2009, 08:40 PM »
My first time out ice fishing was just this past winter. It was the hands on session of the intro to ice fishing program put on by the Let's Go Fishing program of the NH Fish & Game.

The day was sunny and mild but I figured I'd bundle up just in case. It's easier to cool off than warm up. Well, at the pond, it start clouding up and the wind was picking up. Made me glad I bundled up.

The instructors had already drilled some holes and they were showing one of the other students how to set up a tip up. I decided to use my ice fishing jigging rod and jig that my wife gave me for Christmas. No sooner did the jig bounce off the bottom that I had a hit. I reeled in a perch. That was a good start to the day.

Then it was my turn to set up a tip up. The instructor was polite enough to not ask why I had a glove on one hand and a wool sock on the other. I just had minor surgery on my index finger a couple of days before and it was still in a splint. I wasn't going to let that keep me from fishing.

I did OK in hooking up the shiner and even managed to get another perch and a nice sized pickerel.

Later in the morning, the wind had really picked up. Sitting in my chair, I watched as a kid or to would go sailing down the ice while still standing. We were having our share of wind flags too, but that was no suprise.

So even though the weather wasn't so great, I still had a good time.

Offline maculosus

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: First time out
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2009, 12:27 AM »
My first time out will be next month.Thanks.I never thought to take a intro.I'm going to look into any classes the dnr is offering.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2009, 11:32 AM »
Enjoy yourself fishing and remember you can't buy everything in one season! Pick up what you need too get out there and accumulate as you go. Welcome!!
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline disccrusher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • hooke 'em & gut 'em
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2009, 07:14 PM »
awesome, fishing is something you can count on like a good dog, it is still there no matter how bad your day is and it doesn't even care if you are wrong, it just wants to hang out. Fishing is my serenity hope it becomes yours as well
So far behind i think i'm first !!!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2009, 03:16 PM »
I have had more than my share of "Ooops" moments earlier in my hard-water experience.
I learned the importance if ice cleats/creepers/Korkers. I did a "banana peel" slip while carrying my bait bucket. (you know, it's when both feet slip out from under you and you're left hanging in midair for a second before you realize that you are going to hit the ice HARD!) Fortunately my years of clowning around had prepared me on how to "take a fall". Needless to say I landed flat on the ice with the bait bucket right next to me and no damage, or lost bait, just wounded pride.

Also, if you don't use an ice house or portable shanty, make sure anything that can become a sail is tied or weighted down. It isn't fun chasing your belongings (styrofoam insert, empty bucket, folding chair, or even gloves) when they are taken for a ride!

Then there was the time I set up about 50 feet from some kids playing hockey and an errant shot slid right into the hole I was fishing. What are the odds?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Need to fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2009, 11:41 AM »
So that's a banana peel. I did one of those this summer. I was helping out my wife while we were shore fishing for stripers.

Her line had gotten twisted. I stepped on a rock to get next to her, and the next thing I knew, I laying down on my back. I didn't realize that the rock was covered with a thin layer of algae. Nothing worse than a bruise from where I landed on the rock.

I've talked her into trying out the ice fishing with me this winter. It will be the blind leading the blind.  ;D

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2009, 11:50 AM »
Ice cleats are not too expensive and well worth it. I, too, feel hard on the ice a couple of years ago. Broke a couple of ribs and put me down for awhile - even broke the base of my latern (if anyone knows where to pick up a base for a coleman propane heater, I am still looking). Also a "necessary" piece of equipment to have on you is some ice spikes. Just in case you go in, they are a BIG help. Also in my bucket is a 50 foot rope. Safety first.   I couldn't afford a shanty for many years but found out that a lawn chair that folds into a case is very good. The best is one that has a high back and a full foot rest. They block the wind very good. Have a good year.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2009, 12:27 PM »
Trust me, after that first fall I made sure to get some ice cleats.
I also wear my spikes as well, because (knock on wood) I haven't gone through yet and don't plan on putting myself in a situation where I might.
Plain and silmply put: It's not worth the risk!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Need to fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2009, 06:07 PM »
We're going up to Kittery Trading Post for thermal underwear sometime this month, so we'll pick up the cleats and spikes when we're there. I'm also thinking about getting the Jiffy Mille Lacs two piece chisel while we're there.

Thanks for the advice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.