Author Topic: GPS  (Read 2013 times)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
GPS
« on: Nov 11, 2009, 11:28 AM »
I'm in the market for a GPS unit. What GPS units do you use ? What features do you like most about it ?

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: GPS
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2009, 12:21 PM »
It is a personal preference.  Some like Garmin, others like Lowrance.  Just like a flasher.  Pick the one that you like and fits your style.  Also a GPS is only as good as the maps you have for it.  Keep them in mind when you are out looking.  Most new models come only with Micro SD slots.  All the maps I looked at only came in standard SD... There is a ton of opinions on this site.  This topic gets beaten almost as much as the "which flasher to get".

I went with a Lowrance H2O.  So far I'm very happy with it.

Offline Redclam

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Anything outdoors is on the agenda
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2009, 01:44 PM »
I just bought a new Garmin map76scx to replace my 12 year old original map76. The one feature that keeps me coming back to this model is that it floats like a bobber if it ever gets dropped in the drink. Hasn't happened yet to me but I have friends that have had waterproof gpses that have landed in the water and eventhough they were waterproof they sunk like rocks.

Redclam 8)

Fishing? When? Where? I'm there.

Offline holden222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2009, 02:33 PM »
Tons and tons of reviews on youtube. Check them all out most of them are extremely informative and you can hear what users feel about each brand. Go to the store and look at them all. I doubt the guy's at dick sporting goods know much about them but you never know. I have a Garmin H which is very very basic but besides the firmware being out of date it is a great unit. Gets me in and out every time easy to use. There are no maps associated with it but you can add lots of way points.
"It's not like a movie or a wedding when showing up late is no big deal...Icefishing is much more important." -superpole-

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2009, 03:43 PM »
I just bought a Delorme PN-30.  I went with that because of the TOPO USA maps that COME WITH IT and you can use Navionic chips with them ~ you can't with the Garmins.  I was fortunate to get the 2008 east lakes chip last night at Cabela's markdown den for less then a 3rd of the price.  I also wasn't impressed with the reviews the Lowrances  received overall. 

Offline ***WaterWolf***

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2009, 03:48 PM »
The new Delorme is the cats meow.  Its made all other gps's obsolete

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2009, 05:06 PM »
i have a lowrance h2o color unit. i love it.  gobbles batteries like crazy though.

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2009, 05:18 PM »
Believe it or not, I use my Blackberry GPS with the Google maps app in satellite view.  If it's available, I'll also download a contour map of whatever lake I'm fishing in PDF format. 

The Google Maps application ties into the blackberry's built in GPS and shows right on the satellite picture where your standing.  I've gotten to within 15' of the spot I was looking for.  It varies sometimes but it usually gets me pretty close.  There are other GPS specific apps available for the blackberry that you have to pay for but Google Maps is free.

I get the PDF from the Nebraska game and parks commission.  I know South Dakota and some other states may have something similar (examples below).

http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/fishing/programs/lakemapping/lakemapping.asp

http://www.sdgfp.info/Wildlife/Fishing/Lakemaps/Index.htm

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2009, 05:25 PM »
i also have a Lowrance H2O and am very happy with it, in conjunction with a lakemaster chip. Like mentioned before it does chew up batteries, but all in all a great unit. Also dropped it in the ice hole once and it floated, and is waterproof.

Offline tubby67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Keep it only if your going to eat it"
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2009, 07:06 PM »
Well Topher, I got a wild hair :afro: to bid on that h2o and I won in for 81.00 :clap: with the lake map, with out sniping. The guy emailed me and said if I didn't like it he would refund my money 100%  I really wanted the h2oc but I 'll give this one a try it was cheap enough. :tipup:

Offline sonar man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GILL MASTER
« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2009, 07:48 PM »
76scx its all you will need  with lake maps

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 11, 2009, 07:52 PM »
I have a Garmin Rino, courtesy of the US Government.  I do like the fact that it's a GPS and 2-way radio in one unit.  I have yet to own a GPS that doesn't chew through batteries.  So far I've had a cheapy Garmin e-trex (the yellow one), a Magellan eXplorist 200 and the Rino.  Whatever you end up with, make sure it accepts lake maps of some sort, my first 2 didn't, and it sucked not to have a good map at my fingertips sometimes.  I picked up the new Lakemaster Wisconsin CD this year, and what do I find?  Chequamegon Bay and the Apostle Islands in 3' contours!  Too bad I don't live anywhere near Lake Superior, I would like to make good use of that mapset.

One thing I've noticed, the Garmin Lakemaster (wisconsin) map data has twice as many lakes compared to the Lowrance Lakemaster.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 11, 2009, 08:10 PM »
Well Topher, I got a wild hair :afro: to bid on that h2o and I won in for 81.00 :clap: with the lake map, with out sniping. The guy emailed me and said if I didn't like it he would refund my money 100%  I really wanted the h2oc but I 'll give this one a try it was cheap enough. :tipup:

Gotta go to Huntington now...plus RJ wanted a new fishing buddy ;)

Offline crazy man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Greetings
« Reply #13 on: Nov 11, 2009, 08:46 PM »
Greetings to everyone from Walker Minnesota.  This is my first post.  thanks for the forum.

I have the Garmin GPSMAP® 60CSx and it is an excellent device.  I used it for  several years with good luck until I determined that my buddy had  lake maps on his Lowrance that the Garmin did not.  Garmin, it seems, has their own maps that is only for their device.  Lowrance and others accept after market maps which are better.  So I went out and got a Lowrance ifinder Expedition.  I had to, really.

The Lowrance accept the right maps alright but it is an inferior device compared to the Garmin.  In particular, the redraw on the Lowrance is much, much slower.  So,  I takes forever to just scroll the screen a little bit.   This is no small matter when the screen is so small!  It is a big enough deal to prevent me from using the device considering I have another that is better. 

The Garmin redraws almost instantly.  I have found it easy to use and understand though admittedly it is the first one I ever bought and made the effort to use.  Perhaps I would like the Lowrance better if it has been adopted first but really I see no excuse for the painfully slow redraw.

So,  I use the Garmin all the time.  I keep the Lowrance on hand in the tackle bag.  It has the lake maps i need if necessary.  It also serves as  a backup.  I have become so dependent on the technology that it makes sense to have the backup device and extra batteries too.  Yes I still have my orienteering compass but I don't bring it anymore since it never got used.

I often go alone on the big lake in bad weather and after dark.  The GPS has been a real confidence booster compared to the compass, no comparison. 

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 11, 2009, 08:50 PM »
Greetings to everyone from Walker Minnesota.  This is my first post.  thanks for the forum.

Thanks for the input and Welcome to the Forum !

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Nov 11, 2009, 08:50 PM »
I also have an h2o, it does me well gets within a foot from the hole from the day before , and the contours on the nav. prem. are quite close ,buddy of mine has a garmin and he is also very happy with it

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 11, 2009, 08:51 PM »
What map chip do you have for your H2O?

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 11, 2009, 10:08 PM »
What map chip do you have for your H2O?

Navionics for me.  The lake list sucked for LM where I fish.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 11, 2009, 10:15 PM »
I have a Garmin Rino, courtesy of the US Government.  I do like the fact that it's a GPS and 2-way radio in one unit.  I have yet to own a GPS that doesn't chew through batteries.  So far I've had a cheapy Garmin e-trex (the yellow one), a Magellan eXplorist 200 and the Rino.  Whatever you end up with, make sure it accepts lake maps of some sort, my first 2 didn't, and it sucked not to have a good map at my fingertips sometimes.  I picked up the new Lakemaster Wisconsin CD this year, and what do I find?  Chequamegon Bay and the Apostle Islands in 3' contours!  Too bad I don't live anywhere near Lake Superior, I would like to make good use of that mapset.

One thing I've noticed, the Garmin Lakemaster (wisconsin) map data has twice as many lakes compared to the Lowrance Lakemaster.
for my H2O i have the bay of green bay lakemaster chip, it is very accurate but it is of the bay not the rest of wisconsin but thats where i fish so i bought that particular chip

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Nov 11, 2009, 10:29 PM »
Garmin and Lowrance use different software. The Lakemaster MN chip for Garmin has 4000 lakes on it, and the same chip for Lowrance only has 770. Lowrance users are most often better off with a Navionics chip because of this. If you want a Navionics chip though, you need to buy a Lowrance because Navionics will not work in a Garmin.

I always recommend that you choose the best software with all the lakes you fish first, then pick a GPS that will work with it. IMHO, folks outside of the Midwest are better off with a Navionics chip and a Lowrance because they are underserved by Lakemaster. Those inside the Midwest should choose a Garmin and a lakemaster chip. Lakemaster is awesome, where they have good coverage. Garmin really beefed up the lakemaster lists this year, check it out.

Don't confuse Garmin Inland Lakes and Garmin Lakemaster, Inland Lakes sucks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.