Author Topic: Great scoop  (Read 2324 times)

Offline toothy critter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Doesn't get any better
Great scoop
« on: Nov 08, 2009, 03:09 AM »
Hi everyone.
How many of us, bought those cheap nylon scoops that the handle breaks off while tapping them to clear the ice.
i purchased a blue metal scoop at bps with a shock adapter that you tap  once to clear the drain holes, the other end has a chipper and pick. Great tool for checking ice thickness, cleaning over night holes, chipping out tip ups, rod holders or even save your life if you broke through.
At first i didn't like the price at $29.99, but after checking it out and using for 5 years now, it's well worth the investment.

Everyone is just itching for the ice, but keep it safe,

Wear your ice picks, every lake is different.

Will.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Great scoop
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2009, 08:19 AM »
this is the scoop i own, it is by far the best scoop I have seen or purchased. It is heavy duty plastic and takes alot of abuse, it helps checking ice thickness and no need to crouch over a hole to scoop

http://www.frabill.com/store/index.php/review/product/list/id/126/category/37/

Offline SKUNK-MASTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2009, 09:23 AM »
big dipper!!!

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2009, 09:25 AM »
The one I use has a telescoping handle which saves me from having to bend over when cleaning out holes. It is an all metal scoop and takes up minimal space when collasped. I also placed 1" measurement points on it so when I place it in the hole I can get an easy to read measurement of the ice thickness.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2009, 11:29 AM »
I buy the cheap ones that break easy.  Sure I have to replace them sometimes, but it keeps them from ending up in other peoples equipment.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2009, 12:28 PM »
I have a couple of Jiffys teflon coated scoops and also several plastic HT scoops with the aluminum handle. I screwed the handle fast to the scoop and they work and hold up great.

Offline LILDILL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2009, 12:48 PM »
The one I use has a telescoping handle which saves me from having to bend over when cleaning out holes. It is an all metal scoop and takes up minimal space when collasped. I also placed 1" measurement points on it so when I place it in the hole I can get an easy to read measurement of the ice thickness.

i had one of the telescopic ones, and it borke in half  >:(
TIP-UP

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2009, 01:38 PM »
this is the scoop i own, it is by far the best scoop I have seen or purchased. It is heavy duty plastic and takes alot of abuse, it helps checking ice thickness and no need to crouch over a hole to scoop

What is the diameter of the cup? I have a 6" Nlis and my 6" skimmer is a pain...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2009, 01:57 PM »
It's a flat sided 6" with an added 1 3/8" handle .
7" hole with not over 10" of ice.
Great in 8" holes.
Alas, I have a 5" SM Lazer.
It goes on the ice with a "For Sale "sign.
But it attracts a lot of unwanted attention at times,Ha.

Tom

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2009, 02:10 PM »
What is the diameter of the cup?

idahogator has it bang on, it is a flat sided 6"x6" with the handle adding about an 1inch

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2009, 03:11 PM »
idahogator has it bang on, it is a flat sided 6"x6" with the handle adding about an 1inch

Thanks, I've been eye-balling that skimmer for a while but chouldn't find the size of the cup??? Thanks again.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2009, 05:30 PM »
we use the 6" metal ones with the 24" metal handle had mine for 25 years smack open old holes chip ice otta holes makes a neat edge so your line stays strong oldest piece of equipment i got next to my 40 up tipups      mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2009, 07:31 PM »

That's the one I use too. I am on my second one though. If you carry it in a bucket, scoop up, and then place the bucket in the back of your truck it will fly out as you drive down the highway. It now rides in the bottom of the clam.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2009, 07:39 PM »

Ditto.  The flexible skimmer part makes clearing the ice off of it easy and the long handle helps eliminate stooping over the hole.  It's lightweight, and won't rust.  One full season so far, and no complaints.

MD

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2009, 08:46 PM »

Offline sawblade

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2009, 09:16 PM »
I use a metal scoop and the flipper dipper

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2009, 05:15 AM »
i have a 6in. dipper w/ a 32 in. handle that was my grandfathers. the steels so tough i use the edge of the spoon to chisel around a frozen trap! things tough as nails!

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2009, 10:52 AM »
Yeah I have the big honker too, just bought it last year and used it hard and it stood up to all the abuse...all of my friends that I took out that saw it laughed at me until they used it and now they all plan on buying them this year. It is great for a lot of things including checking ice thickness and measuring fish, I also use it to mark my tipups so snowmobiles don't run over them (as long as it's close to my house) I would suggest that scoop to anybody!

If I'm not fishing or hunting right now, you can bet that I\'m thinking about it!

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2009, 01:59 PM »
I bolted a metal scoop onto one of my sons broken hockey sticks, so no bending over for me.....ive never had a plastic one stand up to the abuse.  I also marked off some inches on there to measure fish with......

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 09, 2009, 03:11 PM »
Hi everyone.
How many of us, bought those cheap nylon scoops that the handle breaks off while tapping them to clear the ice.
i purchased a blue metal scoop at bps with a shock adapter that you tap  once to clear the drain holes, the other end has a chipper and pick. Great tool for checking ice thickness, cleaning over night holes, chipping out tip ups, rod holders or even save your life if you broke through.
At first i didn't like the price at $29.99, but after checking it out and using for 5 years now, it's well worth the investment.

Everyone is just itching for the ice, but keep it safe,

Wear your ice picks, every lake is different.

Will.
Are you talking about something like this but with a scoop on the bottom?  I am thinking of getting on the these, they seam pretty cool.

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 09, 2009, 04:44 PM »
 I have a Big Dipper for use in 9" and a Chipper Dipper 4.75 for 6" holes.

Bob

Offline Flypopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 09, 2009, 05:32 PM »
The Big Dipper!! if you forget your shovel just use the big dipper, tough as nails but too big for a 7" hole

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.