Author Topic: Pike Bait  (Read 2497 times)

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
Pike Bait
« on: Nov 06, 2009, 07:20 PM »
With the ice season getting closer I've been keeping my eye open for good looking pike bait at the market I go to. They got a fresh shipment of sardines in today, which they don't usually have. They looked like great pike bait so I picked up 6 of the biggest ones they had. Who else has been stocking up on bait? What kind of bait does everyone else like to use?

I included the Yuengling for scale  ;)

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
Re: Pike Bait
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2009, 07:48 PM »
How much? $$?

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2009, 08:15 PM »
Das: about $1 a piece. Jon: That's what she said.

Offline spanky1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2009, 08:34 PM »
Nice Matt! Those look very promising.

I went looking for fallfish last week with good success. I caught a few and trapped some for the 1st time as well.

I'll be in the salt tomorrow and CT River on Sun but then it's bait time. My tank is READY!
Don't give up, don't EVER give up - Jimmy V

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2009, 06:40 AM »
I've been saving and freezing the dead pondies here at the shop. We also have a lot of guys that buy the bagged herring and tinker macks.

Jon, be sure and stop by when you get back in town. I think you'll be impressed with the new digs!  ;D

Offline northwestslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gone and fishin
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2009, 08:53 AM »
I've been stocking up on goldies up here!! Very abundant this year. I got permission for a couple more ponds. I widened the hole on my traps the other day and got some real decent ones 6 to 7 inches. Everybody has told me about using dead bait. I've used dead bait! But I still managed to toss some big ones in the woods yesterday when they died, instead of freezing them. :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:. I looked at your pictures and wanted to kick myself... As soon as we get ice is when jiggin the big ones gets easier. Casting out works but they shake so much that I lose em on the way in. I still managed to get about 40-50 monsters the other day but I reeled in 1 out 3.

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2009, 09:04 AM »
Personally I think you could use a chunk of wood and catch a pike, (maybe it's different if you're not in Northern Canada) but my Grandfather used to use a mepps spinner and a chunk of raw moose meat that he would let soak in moose blood for a day or two before he went fishing.  He used to have really good luck with it, and the best part was he could usually go all day with just that one piece.  For some reason the pike almost never could knock it off the hook.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2009, 09:43 AM »
I fish open water in Manitoba every August and from what I've seen, I'd have to say your pike are different than ours  ;D There are so many and the competition for food so severe, they have to hit anything they see. Heck, my worst day up there, I caught 50 fish  :o  There is a lot more pressure here and far fewer bodies of water that have them.

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2009, 07:21 PM »
Sweet, Matt!  I've had a bad fall for catching bait.  Looks like I'm going your route and buying.

We also have a lot of guys that buy the bagged herring and tinker macks.

Blaine: should I act fast on the large vacuum-sealed herring?  Let me know.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2009, 07:53 PM »
Nahhh... I have plenty in stock and I can get more anytime.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.