Author Topic: Fishing Lights  (Read 1960 times)

Offline northwestslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gone and fishin
Fishing Lights
« on: Oct 30, 2009, 09:21 AM »
I was wondering If anybody uses the underwater lights. If so have you found a difference. This summer I was out with the dog on west hill and would use a light shining off the edge and you could see the plankton come in. Any thoughts on using white light or green?

Offline icecube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Fishing Lights
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2009, 09:37 AM »
northwestslayer, check out the new sponsor on Iceshanty. Crappie Candle

Offline Josh B.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2009, 11:05 AM »
I have used them while crappie fishing at night and they do seem to help.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2009, 07:30 PM »
I have used them for fishing for walleyes,green floresant works great . It attracts the plankton,witch attracts the bait fish you know what happens next :tipup:

Offline chadroc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2009, 09:08 PM »
i don't know much about walleye fishing but certainly want to know more.  i've only caught them in mashapaug and only then very early spring when they are pushing up real shallow.  anyone fish them this time of year in mashapaug?  one goal of mine is a walleye through the ice and i want to night fish them.  on a side note, how about an affordable set up of tip up lights to indicate strikes at night?  that always seemed to me to be something you could rig up cheep with a run to the hardware store.  i respect the $8 to 10 ones from HT or frabill or whatever but in this economy i am trying to be frugal and thats a good thing about ice fishing....being able to be self sufficient to an extent through yankee ingenuity. 
if the trout are lost, smash the state.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2009, 09:13 PM »
i don't know much about walleye fishing but certainly want to know more.  i've only caught them in mashapaug and only then very early spring when they are pushing up real shallow.  anyone fish them this time of year in mashapaug?  one goal of mine is a walleye through the ice and i want to night fish them.  on a side note, how about an affordable set up of tip up lights to indicate strikes at night?  that always seemed to me to be something you could rig up cheep with a run to the hardware store.  i respect the $8 to 10 ones from HT or frabill or whatever but in this economy i am trying to be frugal and thats a good thing about ice fishing....being able to be self sufficient to an extent through yankee ingenuity. 
I use the tip up alarm. 5 set of window alarms for $5 at the dollar store. Day or night I'm going to hear them.

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2009, 04:30 PM »
I use the tip up alarm. 5 set of window alarms for $5 at the dollar store. Day or night I'm going to hear them.

Do you know the name of them?  Or can you post a link?  I could use a quick fix until I save up for the real deal.  The good Frabill lights are not cheap.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2009, 08:12 PM »
Do you know the name of them?  Or can you post a link?  I could use a quick fix until I save up for the real deal.  The good Frabill lights are not cheap.
I don't! Swing in the dollar store and ask if they have them.

Offline ctbob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2009, 07:37 AM »
Kierran, here is a pic of the dollar store window alarm.  I picked  some up a couple of weeks ago at the dollar store next to Shoprite in Milford. Sorry if this is a hijack. 

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2009, 08:19 AM »
Simple and effective... A word of caution though. There aren't many waters in CT with walleye and they can get pretty crowded. The last thing I'd want, is an ear peircing alarm letting everyone know every time one of my flags pop  ;) The lights are a bit more subtle.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.