Author Topic: Mechanic for Jiffy?  (Read 2410 times)

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Mechanic for Jiffy?
« on: Oct 28, 2009, 05:52 PM »
My jiffy 2 hp throttle is sticking. started at the end of last year. The guy who takes care of my boat motor had said possible carb but he doesn't have the manuels. Recomended to take it to a small engine mechanic.  Looked on Tecuseh's site, Butler power in W. Hartford is listed as a parts stocking dealership. Any one have any dealings with them? They said they could take care of it for me.  I know a lot of people rave about Onota Marina in Pitsfield, But thats a major haul. The ride would be nice but if I can get it done closer  save the $40 in gas for both trips.

Trooper Bri

Re: Mechanic for Jiffy?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2009, 06:41 PM »
How handy are you Sean?

I would disconnect the throttle cable and see if the carb is sticking, or if the lever or cable are binding. If it is the carb, try cleaning/lubing it and make sure the return spring is still springy.
If you aren't handy, look in the phone book for a small engine place and have them check it. It's possible that it needs a part, but I'm guessing it may just need a little maintenance. Especially if it's older.

Kapt and I took a ride up to Onota's a bunch of years ago. Just to check the place out. They had a great selection of fishing swag, including ice stuff since it was close to ice. If you've never been there, it's a good day trip. Maybe you can arrange to have it looked at same day.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2009, 06:48 PM »
It is usually a sticky govornor. Take the top shroud off and see if there is a black plastic flapper in there. It should be held verticaly by a single spring and should move freely. if that seems to be fine, check the little arms that control the throttle plate. If they are sticky, spray them with carb cleaner and re lube them with some dubba-D-40. You will notice that the throttle linkage only holds the throttle shut, make sure the end of the rod is making contact with the throttle arm on the carb.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2009, 06:57 PM »
With big stuff I'm ok. when I start pulling little things apart Murphy jumps in. I spray it down with carb cleaner, and go easy with break free. WD40 has a tendensy to make a gummy mess in my experiance on my guns. I'll probably just take the ride up to Onota. My wifes aunt is in No. Adams and she has wanted us to come up for some time now.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2009, 06:23 AM »
Sean, we've used Butler as well as Stewart's near the Rocky Hill ferry... No complaints with either.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2009, 05:25 AM »
Thanks Blaine, appreciate the feed back.

Offline northwestslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gone and fishin
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2009, 09:16 AM »
Trooper had mentioned onota's livery. I hear that place has got an insane amount of ice fishing gear. I was fishing pottusac the other day and didn't have the time to stop in, but I work in mass and everyone talks about that place! I need to get down to c.t outfitters again as well. Blaine is all your ice gear in?

Offline frog eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2009, 10:39 AM »
most tool rental places do good work and have lots of experiance.

Stop in and if there's only kids working there go to the next one.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2009, 10:55 AM »
I need to get down to c.t outfitters again as well. Blaine is all your ice gear in?

I'm actually putting stuff on the walls right now... We have all of our Clam stuff in. There is already a lot of stuff here. Frabill shanties are on the way and HT will be here next week.

Offline northwestslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gone and fishin
« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2009, 11:28 AM »
Awesome!! Can't wait to see all the years new stuff. Maybe have to make the trip this weekend or next. Can't wait.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2009, 09:08 PM »
Made a call to Stewarts and explained what was going on. He told me he could help me out and that he had worked on augers before. Dropped off the power head today. Nice little shop. Had some quality power equipment and some rebuilt stuff too.  Blaine, Thanks again for the lead. Stopped by Ct Outfitters afterwards, They had a bunch of ice stuff out and Blaine said he had more coming. Can't wait to see what they do now that they have some elbow room.
N.W.S. I went to Onota Marina a few years ago. I was in the area for a wedding. It's a nice shop. with a nice selection of gear but in my opinion Ct. Outfitters has them beat hands down. If they don't have it Gary and Blaine will bust there butts to get it for you at a good price.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2009, 12:05 PM »
Soak the **censored** outta it with some carb/choke cleaner.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2009, 04:46 PM »
junk it and buy anything else besides jiffy

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2009, 09:22 PM »
Jiffys arent bad strikemasters arent bad either they use the same engine and carbs most times.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2009, 04:54 PM »
Got the call from Mike at Stewarts. There was some gumming up in the fuel line and carb. He cleaned it up, adjusted the carb.  and replaced the air filter. His fee was less than what another shop wanted to diagnose it.  While he had the power head I removed the cutting bit and gave the fins a fresh coat of rustolium. For the time he put into it I think I got a good deal. I'd recommend him in a heart beat.

Offline Josh B.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 11, 2009, 01:38 AM »
Good to see you got it fixed.  Mike is a great person to work with, straight forward, no b.s.

Offline fishingman17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2009, 01:24 PM »
I have a question i bought my jiffy 2 years ago should i replace the spark plug for this year

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 17, 2009, 03:59 PM »
Pull the plug and check it out. If its caroded or fouled change it. If not I'd leave it alone. They're only $3 at napa. When you put it back in don't crank it in. Just snug it up a bit after finger tight.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.