Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: ~~~HOT~~~ 2009/10 Ice Lakes  (Read 2466 times)

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
~~~HOT~~~ 2009/10 Ice Lakes
« on: Oct 23, 2009, 12:03 PM »
I don't travel much when ice fishing, mostly stay within 45 minutes to fish lakes here in Central Iowa.  May look to do a few weekend trips this year.

Let's start an opinion thread on what lakes you think will be the hottest for the upcoming season and which species you think will be tops on that body of water!  :tipup:
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ~~~HOT~~~ 2009/10 Ice Lakes
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2009, 12:49 PM »
um...duh, spirit and perch.  ::)  but i will admit that i plan to fish a lot more ponds this year....

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2009, 01:32 PM »
I wish I had more ponds to fish. I prefer to get away from crowds.
As mentioned everyone is aware of the perch bite on Spirit.
I think the gills will be good on West O and Big Creek and Belva Deer
The walleyes will be good on Storm and Brushy
and last but not least the yellows on Clear!

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2009, 05:11 PM »
After going down to Belva Deer a couple weeks ago, I'm pumped to try that ice fishing for those crappies and gills. Other than that, I usually stay pretty close to home. Union Grove ain't that great, but it's close, and I've got a few farm ponds that are pretty good and fairly handy. If I can find decent fishing within a half hour, I'm happy.

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2009, 06:30 PM »
I wish I had more ponds to fish. I prefer to get away from crowds.

mike...a lot of the ponds i was talking about are on public land within a 1/2 hour of fort dodge.   ...and the 30 or so i have permission for in SW Iowa.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2009, 05:46 PM »
Todd,  beings your close come on over to my town got one pretty hot pond 1/2 mile from town and several others.  I plan on having a good year at Hickory Grove for Crappie.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2009, 07:11 PM »
Nothing is really hot over here in NW Iowa. I'll hit a local gravel pits and farm ponds for Crappie, Gills, & hopefully a few Perch. Cross the boader and fish Round Lake in Nobles county MN. Hit Spirt & West O.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2009, 07:25 PM »
There are no brainers...as in you don't have to know much to jerk fish through the hole when you sidle up next to 100 shanties.  Pioneer it bro....hit some lakes you know hold fish.  I've been alone trying desperately to keep 3 rods baited all alone here in NE...eye after slab after eye...just start a log of your fishing.  Every guy here will tell you they wish there had logged their fishing for the past ___  years.  Do yourself a favor and make that your Mon. AM ritual.  You willl never be sorry you did that...sometimes...kno wing what DIDN'T work is important as knowing what did ,grasshopper :-)

Peace and love.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2009, 09:03 AM »
Todd,  beings your close come on over to my town got one pretty hot pond 1/2 mile from town and several others.  I plan on having a good year at Hickory Grove for Crappie.

Yep, a lot of good public water around the Marshalltown area, Hickory, Union and Rock Creek to name a few, never tried the pine lakes  ??? .  I enjoy getting on those for an afternoon/evening of fishing. 

I hear ya on keep track of things on the ice.  I have a log for my bass tournaments, and have a lot of info on the GPS for several lake i ice fish.  Nothing beats time on the ice though, as they seem to more up and down the water column quickly.

As for bunching up on "shanties" doesn't work for me, would rather go away from crowds and fish with a few friends.  :)
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline FishRMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2009, 08:13 PM »
I like fishing Hickory at night for crappie.  I have access to a few ponds in Marshall/Jasper counties.  I found a nice submerged reef this summer fishing Sand Lake outside of Marshalltown and think it may be good through the ice.  I haven't had much luck on either of the Pine Lakes through the ice.  They can be very good for bass during the open water.  I like Rock Creek, but never seem to get into much size.  Working to get access this winter to the huge pond at the Harvester so crossing my fingers as I wait for the answer.  I'd love to get on the Clemons pits if anyone has a connection there.  I fished the small lake West of Hubbard last year and the numbers were fantastic, size not that great... Crappie, gills and a few bass.  I plan to fish Big Creek this year since it's only about 45 minutes from home.  Right now I'd fish anywhere with 4 inches of ice! 

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 2009, 10:11 PM »
No fish left in Spirit, will have to find new waters to fish this year..   ;D    I think Center will be the HOT Spot

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2009, 01:20 AM »
  Working to get access this winter to the huge pond at the Harvester so crossing my fingers as I wait for the answer.   Right now I'd fish anywhere with 4 inches of ice! 

golf course ponds are the best!!!... i can get on just about any course pond in the winter (just pay green fees on the courses where the pro shop says no or thinks about it a little too long... 9 hole/ off season is usually pretty cheap)...it's great!!!  some of the best around are even in or near the bigger cities!  ;)

Offline jhei88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2009, 09:17 PM »
After going down to Belva Deer a couple weeks ago, I'm pumped to try that ice fishing for those crappies and gills. Other than that, I usually stay pretty close to home. Union Grove ain't that great, but it's close, and I've got a few farm ponds that are pretty good and fairly handy. If I can find decent fishing within a half hour, I'm happy.

You ever have any luck on union, i just moved over here and have ice fished there twice. I caught a few keepers but alot of tiny gill.

Offline Rehtnug185vx

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • what do you mean I got too much stuff?!?):
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2009, 11:59 PM »
spirit and perch  ya
SHAPPELL   STRIKEMASTER   MARCUM

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.