Author Topic: Jason Mitchell Reel  (Read 1126 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Jason Mitchell Reel
« on: Oct 11, 2009, 10:04 AM »
I bought a pair of mitchell rods last season, I love them and will be making another order this season. What Im wondering about is the Jason Mitchell reels? has anyone tried them? I usually use tica cetus reels, but was so happy with the rods I was thinking about buying a reel? any thoughts?

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jason Mitchell Reel
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2009, 12:24 PM »
I have not tried the reels so I'll post my thoughts. I havn't found a reel that comes with an ice rod combo that I liked, especially the drags. The mitchell reels looks pretty cheesy to me. If you don't want to spend a lot on a reel pick up a Tica LF500, they are just as good as the $50 Ticas.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2009, 12:51 PM »
I use almost exclusivly Tica SB series, I have not tried the LF series, maybe I will give one of those a try this season

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2009, 01:49 PM »
I'm a shimano guy, not sure about the mitchells'. I saved my grass cutting money for a month when I was 13 to get a shimano reel I saw at the bait shop I'm 36 now and I just replaced it last season ( with little to no maintenance other than a spray down with wd 40 and a wipe down at the end of the season). The Gander Mt. by me had sahara 500s' on sale for $59 plus another 25% off (thats about $45 for a reel listed for $79), I picked up 3. I also got a pfleuger president for x-mas last year and it performed well for me although I had a couple friends who had the cheaper models and said they had problems with the drag systems.

Offline FishRMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2009, 02:04 PM »
I have 2 of the Mitchell reels.  I used them last year and they performed well for me.  I'm a shimano guy for the most part, but I was happy with the drag and overall performance even in the worst conditions.  For the money, I wouldn't hesitate to get a few more.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2009, 02:14 PM »
I have 2 of the Mitchell reels.  I used them last year and they performed well for me.  I'm a shimano guy for the most part, but I was happy with the drag and overall performance even in the worst conditions.  For the money, I wouldn't hesitate to get a few more.

Mitchell reels or Jason Mitchell reels? Mitchell is a reel manufacturer completely independent from Jason Mitchell Rods..

If you have a hundie to drop on a reel, you wont be disappointed with the Shimano Symetry 500. The general rule with reels is that you get what you pay for. There are very few exceptions to this rule. If the combo is only priced $20 more than the rod by itself, the reel is probably not too great.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2009, 02:28 PM »
I was talking about Jason Mitchell reels not the Mitchell brand.

I'm a shimano guy when it comes to open water, stradics all the way. But when it comes to ice I may just stick with Tica ..... It's what you know

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2009, 02:35 PM »
A symetry 500 makes a great open water panfish reel too, that is how I justify the price.

Two Fish Tommy, the guy I fish with the most, uses Tica's. If I were you, I would stick to what you know. I have never in my life seen a good reel on an ice combo.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2009, 04:11 PM »
I use almost exclusivly Tica SB series, I have not tried the LF series, maybe I will give one of those a try this season

Try an LF or GV. I have LFs, GVs and SSs and they all are the same except for bearing count and color. The LF is just as smooth as the high dollar Ticas.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2009, 06:19 PM »
Thanx guys I will give one a try for sure.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.