Author Topic: SKIS ON FISH TRAP  (Read 6172 times)

Offline demon

• IceShanty Rookie
SKIS ON FISH TRAP
« on: Oct 10, 2009, 06:09 PM »
Thought I might attach a pair of cross country skis to my fish trap. I plan to let them run wild about a foot or so front and back. Then I can drill some 3/8 holes through them for ice anchors. I figure I wont have to mess around with ropes Just fire some sammi type concrete  anchors right through the skis. Anyone had any luck doing it this way?

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
Re: SKIS ON FISH TRAP
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2009, 09:01 PM »
what about mounting the skis tight in the front leave them long in the back and build a box on the remaining 2or3' of the skis, then you could really carry some gear

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2009, 09:11 PM »
I drilled 3/8" holes in the coners of my DX4000 and used  8" nails pounded into a predrilled hole in the ice last year. It worked great. I think this year I will use ice screws.

Offline pmac3522

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2009, 08:13 AM »
I picked up a pair of skis to put under my sled, but I am concerned about one thing.  It would be an issue with strips of uhmw as well, so people must be dealing with it somehow.

I set the sled to my yukon on the skis and when I sat down, the sled bent around the skis due to pressure from my weight.  I am not that heavy and my gear will probably weigh close to as much as I do, so it would probably do it when I have it fully loaded as well.

I know when there is snow it won't be a big deal because the snow will fill in the gaps, but what about on my garage floor, glare ice, or the parking lot at the lake?  That can't be good for the sled can it?  I am trying to protect my sled, so it would really suck if I broke it in the process.

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2009, 08:29 AM »
I mounted some old downhill skis to my trap a few years ago.  Works awesome best thing I have done to that thing.
;

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2009, 08:54 AM »
I did the same thing and my mounting system is as follows from the ground up...Ski...conduit receiver (it's round with mounting holes in it and has a threaded hole in the middle to screw the metal legs into place)...then the metal leg (because the pipe won't break when it's cold) with a hole the size of a nail drilled into it....then put a nail or a cotter key in the hole then I have a 2X4 with a hole the size of the leg that sits on top of the nail/key and connects the two skis and most of the weight of the house sits on the 2x4...then I just make sure that the 2x4s are cut to a length that will allow the legs to sit under the lip of my house...if you need pictures I can try to get some for you...it's really a lot easier than I made it sound.

If I'm not fishing or hunting right now, you can bet that I\'m thinking about it!

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2009, 09:09 AM »
pics would be great

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2009, 09:13 AM »
I'll try to get them up tonight...

If I'm not fishing or hunting right now, you can bet that I\'m thinking about it!

Offline boomdoggie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2009, 09:27 AM »
I have a pair of ski,s on my Shappell and i tow it with a snowmachine ,the bottom looks as new but the ski,s are taking a beating. I found 3 pairs of ski,s on garbage day. It is amazing what you can find in the junk

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2009, 10:19 AM »
yeah when I got my skis I just went to a ski shop by my house and asked them if they have any skis that they were going to throw away that I could take off their hands, I actually had a couple different options to choose from!

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2009, 05:46 PM »
Ok this is my first attempts at putting pics on here so bare with me...

This is a close up of how I attach the legs to the ski. I used very small screws and then a grinder on the bottom of the ski to smooth it out. Notice the nail through the pipe...that is to stop the boards.

The boards keep the skis from spreading apart when the weight of the house is on it and you can also drill the nails so that the house sits directly on the boards if you like.

Finished product...minus the beast :) She's ready to go obviously! The only problem is that it doesn't pull straight for some reason but other than that it pulls like a dream!

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2009, 06:10 PM »
 I guess I don't understand ...    Why do you need skis on a nice sled ????    maybe if there is bare ice or very little snow , But if you load that sled up and try pulling it in deep snow or slush you will wish you didn't have those skis digging down and loading up with snow and slush .  The benefit of the sled is flotation in deep snow and slush .

I have a dogsled with the metal skis/runners on it and my otter sled pulls so much easier behind the sled in deep stuff then the dogsled with the skis .

Offline johnnyb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish on fish on fish on!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2009, 06:24 PM »
actually the opposite...skiis help when there's snow...pulling is never a problem with ice or hard packed snow...but in thick stuff, the skiis help it float   :-\
The harder the better!

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2009, 06:30 PM »
actually the opposite...skiis help when there's snow...pulling is never a problem with ice or hard packed snow...but in thick stuff, the skiis help it float   :-\

I think you will find the opposite is true .  the additional surface area you get from the sled provides better flotation in the deep stuff . Load up that sled and it will push those skis right down in the deep snow and slush . then the slush and snow will fall in on itself where the skis cut a slot in it and you will be pulling those uprights through the junk as well

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2009, 07:18 PM »
Skis or runners protect the sled from wearing holes in the tub. If the skis are raised like some guys on here have fabricated, then it makes pulling a sled in 12"'s of snow much easier.

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2009, 07:50 PM »
I have one of the first 2 man Fish Traps that came out and have pulled it through a lot of snow for many years. Last year I elevated it off the snow and run it on 2 downhill skis. You cannot imagine and believe the difference. The bottom of the skis are like glass creating no resistance. With the skis you only have that little bit of surface area that comes in contact with the snow making the sled pull VERY easy. It worked so well and I liked it so much I put the same set up on my Scout I bought last year. Fin

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2009, 10:47 PM »
My dad has the same house as me and when I broke out the skis last year he looked at me like I had some kind of mental issue...till he saw how my house was chasing me down the hill because it had so little drag and he was still pulling his down the same hill...he made a set of skis the next day!

Offline Spud_bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Poppin' Swedish Pimples since '96
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2009, 12:32 PM »
I agree. skis help in snow a great deal.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2009, 01:05 PM »
My buddy and I have Clam 2000's(suitcase shanty) last yr he put skies on his I thought he was nuts till we had about 14 inches of snow on the ice ,mine was like a plow his pulled like a dream !!!!! So I know from experience that skies are the way to go , I got a new Kodiak this yr and put skies on it they go on and off in 20 sec, but really once you get to your primary fishing area just leave them off till ya get ready to head to the truck.

Offline Jimbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2009, 02:11 PM »
Hey Slabslammer,

How high up is your sled raised from the base of the ski's? I'm putting mine together tonight and was curious what others chose.

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2009, 02:35 PM »
Hey Slabslammer,

How high up is your sled raised from the base of the ski's? I'm putting mine together tonight and was curious what others chose.

Mine sets 12 inches off the floor , I have other pieces of conduit that I can changes out to raise it only 6" if I want .

Offline Spud_bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Poppin' Swedish Pimples since '96
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2009, 02:54 PM »
I love your idea. I just finished building a whole stupid sled with skis but might change it to match yours. Much simpler than mine. what how did you attach the skis to the poles?
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Offline Kevin C.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2009, 11:54 PM »
I think you will find the opposite is true .  the additional surface area you get from the sled provides better flotation in the deep stuff . Load up that sled and it will push those skis right down in the deep snow and slush . then the slush and snow will fall in on itself where the skis cut a slot in it and you will be pulling those uprights through the junk as well

If wider is better why do skinnier winter tires on your car work better, because they cut through slush and snow right!     I pulled my trap way out the other day and was ready to leave it on the ice, Ill be adding a set of skiis and a lift.

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2009, 08:47 AM »
I know that my skis are short and fat downhill skis and they work very well. My dad has long skinny crosscountry skis and they work just as well from what I can tell. Just find the cheapest skis you can and git r done!  ;D

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2009, 11:40 AM »
so do you take it off the skis then, to flip over the shanty part? does the canvas part go all the way to the ice in the back, over the sled part? 

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2009, 12:39 PM »
I take mine off the skis. The house doesn't weigh too much so it's not a real big deal even if you're alone. It looks like a lot of hassle but it's worth it!

Offline QuickFlip 2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2009, 01:00 PM »
I use downhill skis on my Quickflip 2 and it pulls VERY easy. The difference between downhill and cross country skis is the bottom of downhill skis are designed to go fast thru snow with very little friction between the ski and the snow. Plus you have more surface area to float over the snow with downhill skis. You will be amazed how easy it is to pull with downhill skis.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 22, 2009, 06:33 PM »
I put downhill skis on my clam and had the same problem with the bottom of the tub runners collapsing when I sit in it. I am 180 pounds and did not like the plastic buckling where the skis attached so I took them off and filled the holes.

I will be putting the skis back on this week because the sled pulls much easier with them on.

I am thinking if I use a piece of flat stock aluminum and mount the skis between two of the tub runners it might help with the collapsing problem by spreading the weight load a bit.

The raised skis look pretty cool and would sure be nice when I have a foot of snow but it does look like a PITA to get them mounted on shore and then dismounted when I get out and set up and then re-mounted when I leave and again when I get to the truck. The worst one being when I am frozen and ready to head back to shore.

Just mounting direct to the bottom and leaving them on seems much easier and still makes the pull allot easier if only I can figure out how to not crush the tub runners when I sit.

Gary 
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 22, 2009, 10:18 PM »
I just can't believe that putting 2 thin skis under a sled will make it easier to pull through deep snow.

Ok....the sled in the picture is built like a square box.  The front of the sled has a very sharp upward angle and it does look that it will push a lot of snow in front of it.

I bet if you added piece of plastic at the front of the sled so that the angle would not be as sharp would make the sled much easier to pull in deep snow.  I would also offer extra storage too.  However, the sled would be longer.

Here where I live, there is lots of deep snow.  On top of that, it stays soft and fluffy all winter.  It's quite common to step off a snowmobile and find yourself up to the waist in snow and your feet still do not touch anything solid.  When we are hauling sleds in off-trail conditions, the sleds with runners are much harder to pull.  Everybody uses wide flat bottom sleds when they go off trail.  Toboggans work great but are too narrow.  The sides of the toboggan tend to dig into the snow and lean and then fall over on their sides.  However, when the toboggan is wider than the snowmobile, they are very stable and float real high on the snow.

Adding 2 thin skis, 12 inches under a wide flat bottom sled seems completely ridiculous to me.  Where I go, the thin skis will sink out of site and the sled's wide flat body will sit on the snow.  Are snow conditions different where you live?

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 23, 2009, 06:55 AM »
well, have fun breaking your back pulling your house while I walk by without breaking a sweat. It's not as hard to put on the skis and take off the skis.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.