Author Topic: Looking for a new Ice chisel  (Read 8035 times)

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
Looking for a new Ice chisel
« on: Oct 10, 2009, 08:16 AM »
I am looking for a new ice chisel, any ideas out there, I would like a 2 PCs.
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
Re: Looking for a new Ice chisel
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2009, 08:40 AM »
I bought this one last year and am very happy with it:

Lakco Ice Chisel

It is two piece and breaks down to about 25". 

Jeff

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2009, 09:06 AM »
Thanks Jeff

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2009, 09:16 AM »
Thumber, jiffy makes a two piece chisel.

my buddy had one a couple of years ago and it made holes realy well and fast, but it only lasted one season before the weld broke and the head came off.

http://www.jiffyonice.com/accessories.htm

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2009, 09:28 AM »
Thanks James

My last one was used for something it was not intended for ( I wont go into it), I use it mostly for the Cusk traps.

Just may have to have one built so it wont for apart. 2 pcs. pipe and a leaf spring

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2009, 09:37 AM »
Thumber,i can only imagine  ::) lol probably kinda like what the Mrs did to mine.
I came home one day and she was out in the driveway breaking ice  :o

I think the leaf spring idea is the best way to go.
my father made me a chisel that way over 30 years ago, and its made more holes than i will ever drill with my auger.
I just keep it hidden from the Mrs nowadays ;D

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2009, 09:51 AM »
The wife's must be related......LOL :%$#!:

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2009, 10:04 AM »
I have owned a few brands over the years.  The Mille Lacs brand is by far the best I have used.  The one I have now chips like crazy and it is over 12 y/o.  I use it mainly to chip out cusk lines and reopen holes from day before.
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

timberdoodle

« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2009, 10:27 AM »
I have a two piece jiffy and love it. It will blow through 6 inches of ice in about 3 hits. It is a great design. Two piece chisels also cut down on vibration if the top is hollow and the bottom is solid. If mine ever ends up on the bottom of some lake I'd buy another the same day.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2009, 06:47 PM »
I'm definitely with you Timberdoodle. I have the same chisel and would be lost without it. If I punch through in 2 hits, I dont go any further. Life saver.

JIGGIN.

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2009, 08:26 PM »
Thanks James

My last one was used for something it was not intended for ( I wont go into it), I use it mostly for the Cusk traps.

Just may have to have one built so it wont for apart. 2 pcs. pipe and a leaf spring
leaf springs work great, and the price is right if you can get one from a mechanic or on the sidw of the road. On mine, I welded to a solid shaft 10-20"long [ I can't remember exactly] that fit tight inside the tubing I was using, then welded the tubing over the shaft for a cleaner finish. I filled the pipe with Great Stuff to slow down the rust; the last thing I did was to grind the cutting edge to a fork[like a fishes tail] with the outsides significantly thicker to see if it would cut better, and, boy, does it!!!! ;)   good luck!
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2009, 08:37 PM »
Beware of some of the newer spud bars on the market. Some of them, not always just cheapies, are using mild steel for the tip. They still want top buck for them too! >:(

Take your pocket knife and see if you can shave steel from the cutting edge. If your knife blade will dig into the cutting edge at all, it is soft mild steel. your knife blade should not be harder than a spud bar blade!

If you have a local welding shop, they can make you a better spud at a greatly reduced price. Most welding shops have some type of hard or tempered steel around to make a blade out of. If you make it yourself, make sure not to overheat your blade with the grinding wheel. The heat from sharpening can destroy the temper and leave the blade brittle or soft.

Offline hamadog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2009, 12:37 PM »
I have the larger of the two Jiffy's and I've been happy with it.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2009, 03:03 PM »
Made my own. Works great. The metal was free and I have a grinder.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2009, 03:27 PM »
I'm like Grump, I own a wirefeed and an arc and I just hit up the local scrapyard, boom instant chisel.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2009, 01:07 PM »
i like the newer jiffy chisels, they do work really well. i dont own one but finless bought one last year and it does blast right threw the ice, the one i have is an antique lol but it does the job for cusk lines and if theres under 6 inches of ice it does ok also if you dont want to haul an auger out

Catch A Buzz

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 15, 2009, 07:37 PM »
i like the newer jiffy chisels, they do work really well. i dont own one but finless bought one last year and it does blast right threw the ice, the one i have is an antique lol but it does the job for cusk lines and if theres under 6 inches of ice it does ok also if you dont want to haul an auger out

I got one of those antique chisels also, I want one that comes apart, I believe I got one coming from Timberdoodle

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 15, 2009, 08:14 PM »
leaf springs work great, and the price is right if you can get one from a mechanic or on the sidw of the road. On mine, I welded to a solid shaft 10-20"long [ I can't remember exactly] that fit tight inside the tubing I was using, then welded the tubing over the shaft for a cleaner finish. I filled the pipe with Great Stuff to slow down the rust; the last thing I did was to grind the cutting edge to a fork[like a fishes tail] with the outsides significantly thicker to see if it would cut better, and, boy, does it!!!! ;)   good luck!
I built mine with a piece commercial jointer blade. It was already razor sharp and I filled the pipe with sand. Took care of the vibration and the added weight really stick out when it hits the ice. Real cutting machine but would still rather have the power auger  when the ice get over a foot thick. ;D

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 22, 2009, 12:01 PM »
I have a "Winni" chisel bought over 40 years ago at Martel's,the one with the curved blade. Do they sill sell these chisels around Winni THE BEST CHISEL EVER MADE!!
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 22, 2009, 04:52 PM »
I have a "Winni" chisel bought over 40 years ago at Martel's,the one with the curved blade. Do they sill sell these chisels around Winni THE BEST CHISEL EVER MADE!!

Yeah, I believe they were called the Laconia Ice Chisel and are awesome chisels but extremely hard to find. If you own one, keep it and make sure you have a rope tied to it and to your wrist.

Otherwise buy a Jiffy 2 piece chisel.

JIGGIN.

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Oct 22, 2009, 06:55 PM »
Yeah, I believe they were called the Laconia Ice Chisel and are awesome chisels but extremely hard to find. If you own one, keep it and make sure you have a rope tied to it and to your wrist.

Otherwise buy a Jiffy 2 piece chisel.

JIGGIN.

x2  The jiffy is a good back up. 

Offline BogMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 05, 2009, 07:19 PM »
Ya know guys I have access to very sharp blades used to cut paper. They are roughly 3/8" thick x4" tall and have a tempered edge. But the problem is they are 30+" long. Not sure what will cut them into smaller pieces to mount on the end of a pipe. Maybe a power hack saw??

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 05, 2009, 08:42 PM »
Ya know guys I have access to very sharp blades used to cut paper. They are roughly 3/8" thick x4" tall and have a tempered edge. But the problem is they are 30+" long. Not sure what will cut them into smaller pieces to mount on the end of a pipe. Maybe a power hack saw??

Band saw

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2009, 07:30 AM »
Sawzall with a metal cutting blade will do the job.

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2009, 08:05 AM »
    "its made more holes than i will ever drill with my auger"

Bet it just "feels that way." :whistle: ;D........Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 06, 2009, 08:54 PM »
Sawzall with a metal cutting blade will do the job.
Band saw

If they are hardened or tempereed, you'll need a torch or, better yet, a plasma cutter. :-\
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #26 on: Nov 07, 2009, 08:34 AM »
If they are hardened or tempereed, you'll need a torch or, better yet, a plasma cutter. :-\
I've cut both with a sawzall, takes time and a few good blades but in a pinch it'll work.

Offline GlovelessPro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2017, 11:31 AM »
Eskimo’s Redneck chisel - I have a jiffy too. The redneck is a lot heavier and that would seem like more work but less whacks with more cutting is a better trade-off ... and I stumbled on this post because I was just talking to a guy at the bait shop about those half-moon I sled and he told me they were Laconia chisels- never saw anything blast ice like those - heavy as hell but could keep up with power auger lol
How can you be icefishing if you're sitting at your computer???

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 20, 2017, 02:28 PM »
 another vote for the Mils lac.... It was a replacement for a beloved home made ( truck spring) one piece that went "strapless" one time to many >:(.. so you know the "rest of the story"....  the current one is an admirable replacement...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 20, 2017, 03:13 PM »
Another for the Mille lacs chisel. Only had mine a year now but I really like it. And it breaks down easy to 2 pieces.

https://www.reedssports.com/jiffy/jiffy-deluxe-mille-lacs-chisel-2-pie-59636?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhZHbw8CZ2AIVj0wNCh0wVQwAEAQYAiABEgJ72_D_BwE

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.