Author Topic: Buddy Heaters  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Buddy Heaters
« on: Oct 07, 2009, 09:23 PM »
Has any one here tryed  and used the new little buddy heater that came out last year it looks like this one in the link..

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=41&id=338
Hard Ice

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Buddy Heaters
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2009, 09:28 PM »
Yeah, I know someone who has one. They are compact and handy, and cool to the touch in most places. That is only 3800 BTU, so it will be for smaller shacks though.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2009, 08:58 AM »
I don't have the one pictured, but I do have the sport cat.

I usually light is on really nice days, so that we can dry our hands after catching a fish.

If it gets cold, you'll find that it won't crank enough heat.

A Buddy or Big Buddy heater is the ticket when the wind starts to howl and the temps drop.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2009, 08:48 PM »
I have the big buddy now and it's just to much to have in the clam pro and was thinking about down sizing a little bit ..
Hard Ice

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2009, 09:09 PM »
I have a 3000 BTU Coleman Black Cat catalitic heater, and it is kinda pathetic. I would not reccomend it for fishing. It says 3000 BTU, but I think it is closer to 2000. :(

The one I bought smelled like burning plastic for the first 8 or 10 bottles of propane. It was around $80 too, I was not very satisfied with it at all.

Maybe you should just get a regular buddy, they are about half the size of a big buddy and you can still get 9000 btu out of them when you need it.

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2009, 09:17 PM »
I put a regular buddy heater in my behind me in the tub in my scout and it does fine.

Offline Tailgunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2009, 10:32 PM »
Do yourself a favor...Dynaglow heaters are reliable and perform flawlessly.  We now have 3 of them in our arsenal.  Home depot has 'em, if U time it right deals can be had.  Buddy units suck, have one just over a year old.  Always issues, now won't even light....never again.  Other guys in our group have said the same thing..........

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2009, 01:39 AM »
My Buddy heater cooks me out of my trap pro most days.  On the warm days a lantern is all I need.  Had issues with the Buddy heater and was ready to give up on it...then I aired it all out and it's been flawless since.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2009, 05:24 AM »
My Buddy heater cooks me out of my trap pro most days.

Same here, I only use it intermittently on the colder days then it's really nice to have! For me, my Artic Armor and the Pro getting me out of the wind is usually all I need to be comfortable.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2009, 08:37 PM »
I got a regular buddy heater last year $69 on sale, I love it, no issues for me, I even used it this summer while camping. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2009, 09:15 PM »
I love my buddy heater, 4 seasons and counting so far...I was surprised at the size of the new heater pictured above...not as small as I thought it was going to be. I think the buddy heater is a better more stable option then the newer model

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2009, 09:46 PM »
I use my Big Buddy in my dads Mankato house, which is like 6X7, and in the Scout I use the Little Buddy. Like I posted in another post on here, Lowes has them every february half price, a deal too good to pass up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.