Author Topic: Portable ice shack  (Read 17613 times)

Offline eyefriendly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They're down there somewhere!
Portable ice shack
« on: Sep 30, 2009, 10:38 AM »
 After several years of fighting with my old hard side ice shack I have decided to buy or build a portable.
 I am looking for something that one person can handle easily (load & fit into truck), and be able to pull around behind my quad. I would also like to heat with wood or something other than propane. What are my options?
 If anyone has any recommendations for commercially built shacks or if anyone has any plans for a home built that they think might work it would be appreciated.

I will no longer leave a shack out on the ice unattended! Too many idiots! I spent 2 days trying to get my old shack out of the ice because someone broke the lock off and fished inside and around the outside so that the next time I went fishing the floor was under 6" of ice(*&%$ & %&^&)! I ended up burning it on the spot! Hence the reason I need a new shack!

Thanks in advance for any info.
Golf is for people that don't know how to fish.

Online michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
Re: Portable ice shack
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2009, 11:13 AM »
i built one like you want and I heat it with a two mantle lantern. Look up the michiana shanty in the Ice shack tips for more of an explanation.

HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline eyefriendly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2009, 11:14 AM »
 Thanks Michianafisherman, that shack looks awesome. All the comforts of home.
 I am looking for something a little bit more basic & a whole bunch lighter. I need to be able to load this thing into my truck by myself (about 100-150#) without getting a hernia. I don't mind sitting on my pail or do without some creature comforts. All I want to do is get out of the wind. Basic, basic, basic!

Online michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2009, 01:29 PM »
I load and unload two of them. They are deceivingly lite. Less than two hundred. I pushed them for years before I got the idea to run a rope all the way through the shanty so I could link them together and use a Honda 70 three wheeler. Now I use a 125 four wheeler two wheel drive with screws in the tires. Can haul even more junk out on the ice.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline mix123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2009, 03:03 PM »
I have a Fish Trap Guide I am wanting to sell this year. Going to upgrade. PM me if interested.

Offline woodfolks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2009, 03:11 PM »
What about an Ice cube or a quick fish
It will give you 5-6 feet square
You can add a place for a wood stove
by sewing in sillicon high temp cloth
then you could use a wood stove

In the old days they used a thimbel in the tents with wood
stoves the part were you put the pipe threw was made of metal
flashing this kept the heat from getting to the fabric

You can get small stoves form Titanium goat
and from Kifaru go with a large stove from these companys
They could also sell you the cloth

If you want more room get a comand post portable

Offline ashcol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2009, 11:48 PM »
Have you ever heard of the tow behind shack with a tarp side and top. The one I have was built over twenty years ago and with some normal upkeep it still works well, but is now time for a tarp replacement. It was called "Croquet". It was built by a company out of St. Bruiex, Saskatchewan. The size is 6ft long and 3ft wide by two ft high. When you fold it open the top became the seats and two laydown gable ends with three ridge poles. Set up time is very quick and they came with small wood heaters,I changed ours out to propane with a nice stove that you can cook fish on easily. I load mine by myself into my half ton with all my gear in side,with out the gear would be a lot easier. It was built with four holes in the floor to fish out of. If interested in more info I could send pictures when I get it out of storage right away. Good luck with yuor search for the perfect shack. 

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep your worm wigglin!!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2009, 11:07 AM »
Have you ever heard of the tow behind shack with a tarp side and top. The one I have was built over twenty years ago and with some normal upkeep it still works well, but is now time for a tarp replacement. It was called "Croquet". It was built by a company out of St. Bruiex, Saskatchewan. The size is 6ft long and 3ft wide by two ft high. When you fold it open the top became the seats and two laydown gable ends with three ridge poles. Set up time is very quick and they came with small wood heaters,I changed ours out to propane with a nice stove that you can cook fish on easily. I load mine by myself into my half ton with all my gear in side,with out the gear would be a lot easier. It was built with four holes in the floor to fish out of. If interested in more info I could send pictures when I get it out of storage right away. Good luck with yuor search for the perfect shack. 
If possible could you send me some pics as well.

Offline ashcol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2009, 09:25 PM »
If possible could you send me some pics as well.
As soon as I get it out I will send you some pics.  Works great and is lite.

Offline eyefriendly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2009, 08:21 AM »
Yes, please send some pics. Thanks!

Offline eyefriendly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2009, 10:00 AM »
Me and a buddy built a couple of the fold up shacks a few years back, and they served there purpose. 3 sheets of OSB, a tarp and a couple door hinges. cost less then 100 bucks, and we sold them for 18 pill each, after a year and a half. they didnt owe us anything.
 I went and picked up an Eskimo Quick fish 3, and it was the best ice fishing investment i have made, other then a new Eskimo Mako auger. I think it was around 260 at Costco, They are built better then the ice cube, and if you throw a MR heater sunflower style in there you will be fishing in a t-shirt when it is -25c outside. Its very light and folds up into a backpack style case, and easily fits in the trunk of a car with all your other gear. Definatly something to think about.
Considering our Saskatchewan winds, are these Eskimo tents hard to set up in a brisk wind by yourself? Do the ice anchors hold well & are they hard to install? Do you find that your feet get cold or your electronics don't last as long because there is no floor? Is the Eskimo a 2 or 3 person shack?

Offline dalwhe1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2009, 12:19 AM »

I will no longer leave a shack out on the ice unattended! Too many idiots! I spent 2 days trying to get my old shack out of the ice because someone broke the lock off and fished inside and around the outside so that the next time I went fishing the floor was under 6" of ice(*&%$ & %&^&)! I ended up burning it on the spot! Hence the reason I need a new shack!

>:(

Sounds just like mine on Rafferty Dam last year,Destroyed it tring to haul it off with two sleds and the Shack ended up in the dump and only salvaged the stove, But new one is almost done, Where was yours located?

Offline eyefriendly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2009, 10:58 AM »
 I had my shack by Glen Harbour.

Offline dalwhe1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2009, 09:13 PM »
I had my shack by Glen Harbour.

I guess they are all over the place, those type of people   ;)

Offline eyefriendly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2009, 01:13 AM »
After several years of fighting with my old hard side ice shack I have decided to buy or build a portable.
 I am looking for something that one person can handle easily (load & fit into truck), and be able to pull around behind my quad. I would also like to heat with wood or something other than propane. What are my options?
 If anyone has any recommendations for commercially built shacks or if anyone has any plans for a home built that they think might work it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Thanks again, found a 5600 & Mr. Heater for a good price. Bring on the hard water!

Offline ZAMBONIMAN5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2009, 01:17 AM »
I have the ice cube, and I love it. Weighs nothing on your back, and takes under 5 mins to set it up..if you put in all the anchors, which isn't hard at all...We have had it for 3 winters now, bought it off ebay for 120 bucks. Still is great and am still waiting to go ice fishing this year!

Offline eyefriendly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2009, 11:26 AM »
 OK, now that I have a new shack & heater, which I have set up & taken down at least a dozen times in the last few weeks (I hate surprises), there seems to be a delay in winter arriving.
 All I'm really asking for is a couple inches of ice! Hopefully by this weekend a person can get on the lakes somewhere in south Sask..
 Any reports of ice conditions would be appreciated.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2009, 11:44 AM »
So which shack did you buy?

Offline eyefriendly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2009, 03:42 PM »
So which shack did you buy?
I bought a used clam 5600, which is now called an Expedition. For some reason the floor assembly is now sold seperately from the tent.
Maybe Clam isn't making enough money because the tent is roughly the same price as what the 5600 was new with the floor. I'm not sure what a floor assy. costs. Maybe a person doesn't need a floor.
 The cool thing is that there is about 6&1/2 feet of clearance inside. Lots of hook settin' room. It'll hold 2 people comfortably, three if needed.
 It seems to be a pretty good setup but I still haven't tried to set this thing up in a brisk Saskatchewan wind.
 Hopefully I can report back to you in a weekend or two.
 I also bought a Mr. Heater portable buddy. I'm not a real fan of propane heat but this shack has air vents at the top on both sides so I'm hoping it won't be too bad.
 Has anybody got one of these heaters? Just pissing around with this heater in the garage I have noticed that the 1 lb. bottles freeze up then the heater doesn't seem to burn as efficiently & tends to get kind of fumey. Does this same thing happen when you use a 25 lb. tank?

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2009, 12:20 AM »
I use the Big Buddy with a 20lb propane tank and works really well.  Yup had the same thing happen to me with the 1lb bottles so I don't even bother using them for my heat anymore. 
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing and share our sport!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2009, 08:53 AM »
My wife and I have an Eskimo Quickfish 3 that we got last winter.  I found it quite easy to set up in the wind provided you screw in one corner.  I have never had any problems with the ice screws bending on me, they go in very easily and hold strong until you back them out.  We have found it to be a great shelter for people who like to be mobile out on the lake.
Teach your children, but never be afraid to let them teach you

Offline eyefriendly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2009, 09:55 AM »

>I have never had a permanent shack so I am curious about this flooding effect. What is it that a "unauthorized" user does that causes a shack to flood that an owner does differently. Until I bought a portable, I have been tempted to occupy an empty unlocked shack on days when the weather was the enemy but have been unsure about the etiquette in this matter and I certainly would not like to recreate an arson event for someone. A collection of permanent, locked huts belonging to a club on upper Spray Lake (Kananaskis) posts signs that ask other fishers to stay 100m away, signs that appear to be largely ignored. Trespassing would not seem to be the issue, as ice huts are on public property, but ethics must play a role???
The biggest problem with people either drilling around or in your shack is that they will never move the shack afterwards. When there is a fair amount of snow on the ice the weight pushes the water up through the holes. Whatever your shack is sitting on (runners, blocks or whatever) freezes to the ice. If someone uses your shack they don't shovel out all the ice chips and water, which leaves a %$^& of a mess.
 There are very few reasons to have to use someone elses shack. Get your own!
 As for fishing by someones shack, the lake is all public property & is open to everyone. A person has to use common sense. Treat other peoples property with respect!

Offline eyefriendly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2009, 11:54 AM »
 I forgot something.
 I honestly think that most people that fish beside another persons shack even realize that this can cause a problem even after they are gone.
 I have personally spent days trying to get a shack out of the ice. Nothing can kill the fun of fishing more than alot of un-necessary work.
 Just a little "heads up" for those who don't own a shack!

Offline eyefriendly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2009, 11:35 AM »
 Well by the looks of the weather reports, I will be able to try my new portable out this weekend.
 I was thinking of trying Kinookimaw. It has been pretty good in the past few years at first ice. Has anybody been there lately? How much ice? How's the fishing?

Offline thorvy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2009, 11:22 PM »
Heres a couple pics of my work in progress. I'll have to wait for a while tho to take it out, but it will be worth it.

I'll put a couple up once the stove and skirting are complete.

Offline eyefriendly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 14, 2009, 04:15 PM »
 On Saturday I got to try out my new shack. It worked great as it was a brutally cold day. It takes about 5-10 mins. to setup & about the same to fold down.
 A friend brought along his Quikfish & is it ever quick. He had it setup, the flaps shoveled and had a fish on the ice as I was still firing up my heater. The only problem that I seen was when they wanted to move a couple of times when the wind was blowing, they had their hands full. It was like a big kite. I assume that you are supposed to collapse it to move it (no big deal as it only takes 3 mins) I thought the open floor would be a problem. A couple of pieces of carpet would probably fix that.
 The Quikfish is carried in a back pack & weighs 20-25lbs. The Clam is in a suitcase & weighs 85lbs. I didn't think that 85 lbs. would be a problem to pull out on the ice, but it pulls remarkably hard (not a very good design to be pulled like a sleigh). As long as I can get my pickup on the ice it will be a good usable shack.
 I would honestly say that I am more impressed with the Quikfish than the Clam. Maybe that will be my next shack.
 The weather was cold, the shack was warm & the fishing was hot!!
 It's good to be on the ice again!

Offline eyefriendly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 15, 2009, 09:21 AM »
 Hey Aquafuge, you sound like a guy that has never been in this situation. Maybe you're a Johnny no-shack.
 I don't think that you understand the situation. I personally will NOT under any circumstances, drive my truck or anybody else's for that matter on anything less than 12" of ice. Now, I'm not an expert, but I believe that 12" of good ice would easily hold the weight of my truck & shack combined without sagging at all. The problem is the several thousand tons of snow on top of the ice. After I'm done fishing for the day I pull my shack away from the site(honey hole or not) so that it will not freeze in. When Johnny no-shack is done he just walks away without a second thought about it.
 I have arrived at my shack to find people not only beside it but right inside. When asked why they were in my shack they said that the lock was already busted off, so they were just using it?? I guess that makes it OK?
 I have no problem with people fishing in and around where I'm fishing, sometimes a person can learn from others. The problem is when people don't respect other peoples property, whether they don't know or don't care!

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep your worm wigglin!!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2009, 09:58 AM »
No they don't. This isn't Ontario

Offline thorvy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2009, 10:27 AM »
I always lock my shack up, too many ignorant people out there. One winter I left my old shack unlocked and someone(s) used it and destroyed the inside, so now i lock up like Fort Knox. And i dont mind if someone uses my shack as cover for protection from the wind, as long as they dont flood it out or damage it.

Offline thorvy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 15, 2009, 04:07 PM »
Honestly I think with ice fishing if you pick a spot for the winter, its almost first come first serve. I have fished the relative same area of Blackstrap for 7 winters and I dont get upset if someone is where I wanted to be. Ice Fishing shouldnt be a nasty, vengeful sport where some think that you took their "spot". The lakes are big, fish swim all over.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.