The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Bait  (Read 23760 times)

Offline Pats

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bait
« Reply #120 on: Nov 12, 2009, 03:14 PM »
LOL,,,I knew it was to good to be true!!!
He's got lots of goldens and he will trade but he likes to bs about numbers ;D once a bser always a bser ;)

Offline Dsouth883

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #121 on: Nov 13, 2009, 07:26 AM »
I wish I knew how post pictures, I got about 300 pondies in last 3 time out some awesome sizes there 8 to 10
inch . I still need some dace might need to trade for some, anyone have extra s .
They all look outstanding just need ice now. P S Got 1000 spikes coming in tommorrow,  Thank for the number Ron . It going to be a good winter at least pike are eating good. ::) ::) ::) ::)

I have a load of HOG dace but a HOG dace is wroth 3+ slab pond shiners in my book.  ;D :tipup:  ;D
Lets talk trade BIGBAIT + not BS!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Offline od21

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #122 on: Nov 13, 2009, 11:55 AM »
Bigbait, send me message so I can tell you about Ken and I going north in Feb for Pike there is still room if you want to go.

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #123 on: Nov 13, 2009, 06:51 PM »
I agree DSouth...

Offline 1KING SALMON

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Nov 18, 2009, 03:25 PM »
Trapping for the first time and just wondering what you guys think of using "Creek Chubs".  If they've produced just as good as common shiners, etc..  I've been trapping about 40 a night for about 2 weeks now.  Most in the medium size range but have caught a couple dozen or so that have been in the 6" range.(keeping for pike).  Still looking for a good solid place for common shiners as well but not worried with what I've gotten so far...  Some of the smaller ponds I've tried have produced just crayfish and loads of salamanders, Using bread and crackers for bait.  Chuck
She said if I went fishing she'd be gone, "I'm gonna miss her"...

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #125 on: Nov 18, 2009, 03:59 PM »
I've had great luck on bass with chubs from brackish water got any pics of the creek chubs not sure if I have ever seen one.
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #126 on: Nov 18, 2009, 05:30 PM »
I'm sure the creek chubs will work fine.

Ron,
2 traps in the spot we talked about. Just put them in tonight. One is up tight in the pool under the falls and the other is down by the bridge. I'll let you know.

Offline 1KING SALMON

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #127 on: Nov 19, 2009, 02:10 PM »
Ron - these are what I've been catching.  they are pretty chunky little fish and not as slender as normal shiners.  Seems like the smaller ones tend to be more silvery in color as where the bigger ones (5") tend to be darker in color.  I've noticed that they have lightened up in color a bit after being in the tank as well.  They all have very pink or reddish fins on them and some have black spots.  Here are some pics from some in my tank and they might be a little brighter in color than normal due to the flash on the camera.  Chuck

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #128 on: Nov 19, 2009, 02:16 PM »
CreekChubs

Here`s a couple for ya-> Pretty sure the smaller ones are Bridle Shiners , no idea about the larger minnow, may be a female Bridle Shiner. Caught same traps. I let em go rite there,can`t use Bridle Shiners in NH.

Offline 1KING SALMON

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Nov 19, 2009, 03:46 PM »
CreekChubs
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Here`s a couple for ya-> Pretty sure the smaller ones are Bridle Shiners , no idea about the larger minnow, may be a female Bridle Shiner. Caught same traps. I let em go rite there,can`t use Bridle Shiners in NH.
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

They are all the same type.  Just vary in size.  Rather thick in the bodies thou.  I've caught em from sizes that range from pinnies to 8".  I've tossed all the pinnies back and have only kept medium size up.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #130 on: Nov 19, 2009, 05:58 PM »
My spot below the falls was bust. Water moving too fast I think. I put one in above the falls today. I'm going to check it later tonight.

Offline Bigbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Nov 19, 2009, 07:01 PM »
I had awesome two days of bait fishing 125 poindies and 40 of them over  8'' and 15 over 10'' the rest about 6''.  ;D ;D ;D   Plus 7 pike two in the low teens 35 and 36 inch the other about 26 inches fun when your just bait fishing.That brings the total 135 giant pondies and 175 other bring on the ice,( I m almost ready). If anyone knows pond with pondies in them when it cold at night and warm during the day, check the shallow cove,bays, inlet, just throw alittle bread out and they come to the top. This where they will have to go for food. The puddles I ve caught 8 to 10 inch pond shiner in you would be suprised.   :o :o :o 
Inside the numbers gave Pat 20 AND Ted 200 for grand total of 530 Pondies. That s no B S

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #132 on: Nov 20, 2009, 12:24 AM »
I had awesome two days of bait fishing 125 poindies and 40 of them over  8'' and 15 over 10'' the rest about 6''.  ;D ;D ;D   Plus 7 pike two in the low teens 35 and 36 inch the other about 26 inches fun when your just bait fishing.That brings the total 135 giant pondies and 175 other bring on the ice,( I m almost ready). If anyone knows pond with pondies in them when it cold at night and warm during the day, check the shallow cove,bays, inlet, just throw alittle bread out and they come to the top. This where they will have to go for food. The puddles I ve caught 8 to 10 inch pond shiner in you would be suprised.   :o :o :o 
Inside the numbers gave Pat 20 AND Ted 200 for grand total of 530 Pondies. That s no B S

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #133 on: Nov 20, 2009, 12:26 AM »
Ron - these are what I've been catching.  they are pretty chunky little fish and not as slender as normal shiners.  Seems like the smaller ones tend to be more silvery in color as where the bigger ones (5") tend to be darker in color.  I've noticed that they have lightened up in color a bit after being in the tank as well.  They all have very pink or reddish fins on them and some have black spots.  Here are some pics from some in my tank and they might be a little brighter in color than normal due to the flash on the camera.  Chuck

(Image removed from quote.)
I have never seen those what great colors they look like they would work killa. Thanks for posting them.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #134 on: Nov 20, 2009, 07:14 AM »
Nothing above the falls this morning. I put a trap back in the spot where the BPS guy was netting to see what happens.

Offline Dsouth883

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Nov 20, 2009, 10:33 AM »
A THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT A PHOTO... ;D

Lets see the teen pike photos please. Teen fish start at 13 lbs not 11Teen lbs. :nono:

Offline Pats

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #136 on: Nov 20, 2009, 01:49 PM »
and 15 over 10'' That brings the total 135 giant pondies  I ve caught 8 to 10 inch pond shiner      
Inside the numbers gave Pat 20 That s no B S
Show us a picture of one over 10" ;D You only gave me 11  ;D So that would be BS ;D

Offline Pats

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #137 on: Nov 20, 2009, 02:09 PM »

Lets see the teen pike photos please. Teen fish start at 13 lbs not 11Teen lbs. :nono:
Dan.....you ever catch an 11teen pound pike?  ;D ;D ;D

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #138 on: Nov 20, 2009, 05:34 PM »
Show us a picture of one over 10" ;D You only gave me 11  ;D So that would be BS ;D
LOL,,, This is great...
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #139 on: Nov 20, 2009, 05:46 PM »
They are all the same type.  Just vary in size.  Rather thick in the bodies thou.  I've caught em from sizes that range from pinnies to 8".  I've tossed all the pinnies back and have only kept medium size up.

So watta u saying, they (green bucket pics) are all Bridle Shiners?

Offline 1KING SALMON

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Nov 20, 2009, 08:05 PM »
So watta u saying, they (green bucket pics) are all Bridle Shiners?

I'm not trying to say anything.  The "Blue" holding tank in the pics are all the same types of species.  All I know is that I've been trapping these guys for about a week and they all are of the same species.  I've googled "minnow family" (http://pond.dnr.cornell.edu/nyfish/Cyprinidae/cyprinidae.html) to try and determine the correct type of minnow/shiner they could be to be safe on keeping something that isn't illegal to have.  My best comparison was a creek chub according to the specs given by the web site I've used.  The reddish or pinkish fins are what puzzle me the most on these.  It could also just be a physical characteristic they have obtained due to the living conditions in the water at which they dwell in?  The "Bridle Shiners", according to the site I've used says they reach standard length of 22mm, which would be just under an inch long(0.86614).  These are much larger than that and the biggest I've caught have been up to 7".  Thanks for your feedback on trying to help me determine the species type however.  Chuck

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #141 on: Nov 21, 2009, 09:05 AM »
I'm not trying to say anything.  The "Blue" holding tank in the pics are all the same types of species.  All I know is that I've been trapping these guys for about a week and they all are of the same species.  I've googled "minnow family" (http://pond.dnr.cornell.edu/nyfish/Cyprinidae/cyprinidae.html) to try and determine the correct type of minnow/shiner they could be to be safe on keeping something that isn't illegal to have.  My best comparison was a creek chub according to the specs given by the web site I've used.  The reddish or pinkish fins are what puzzle me the most on these.  It could also just be a physical characteristic they have obtained due to the living conditions in the water at which they dwell in?  The "Bridle Shiners", according to the site I've used says they reach standard length of 22mm, which would be just under an inch long(0.86614).  These are much larger than that and the biggest I've caught have been up to 7".  Thanks for your feedback on trying to help me determine the species type however.  Chuck
You misunderstood me, what u r catching/trapping are indeed creekchubs, the pinkish redish hue is common this time of year , I too have been catchin them with these colors when previously in the year they didn`t have the redish hue. That`s why I posted pics of creekchubs. The other minnows in my post(green bucket) are what I assume to be bridle shiners, I was actually looking for a conformation on that.

Offline 1KING SALMON

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #142 on: Nov 21, 2009, 10:14 AM »
You misunderstood me, what u r catching/trapping are indeed creekchubs, the pinkish redish hue is common this time of year , I too have been catchin them with these colors when previously in the year they didn`t have the redish hue. That`s why I posted pics of creekchubs. The other minnows in my post(green bucket) are what I assume to be bridle shiners, I was actually looking for a conformation on that.

Sorry for the misunderstanding... Thanks once again for your feedback and lets hope the hard water is here soon!!!  chuck

Offline Dozindoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #143 on: Nov 21, 2009, 10:22 PM »
What the hell are dace ???

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #144 on: Nov 22, 2009, 08:36 AM »
Come on Doug....you surprise me.   ;) ;D

Here we'll go back to the beginning. ;D

http://www.ghof.org.uk/dace.htm
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #145 on: Nov 22, 2009, 09:20 PM »
Well I had a few die last week. I since have been treating the water in my tank with Ick medicine and they seem to be doing good now. I put a pond pump in the tank.I took it apart a little bit though. The pump is 700gph.
  First I went to petco, and got a bucket of activated carbon, a roll of filter material, and a 1 gallon bucket. I drilled holes in the bottom of the bucket, put a layer of rocks in the bottom, then a layer of filter material, then a layer carbon, then another layer of filter material. I cut a hole in the side of the bucket close to the top, and put a hose on the pond pump, and put it into the bucket. It is about 10 times bigger than the filter I had on the tank. Water is nice and clear and the fish seem to be moving alot better.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #146 on: Nov 22, 2009, 10:38 PM »
Well I had a few die last week. I since have been treating the water in my tank with Ick medicine and they seem to be doing good now. I put a pond pump in the tank.I took it apart a little bit though. The pump is 700gph.
  First I went to petco, and got a bucket of activated carbon, a roll of filter material, and a 1 gallon bucket. I drilled holes in the bottom of the bucket, put a layer of rocks in the bottom, then a layer of filter material, then a layer carbon, then another layer of filter material. I cut a hole in the side of the bucket close to the top, and put a hose on the pond pump, and put it into the bucket. It is about 10 times bigger than the filter I had on the tank. Water is nice and clear and the fish seem to be moving alot better.

Come on....these are your words.  Where's the pictures?   ;D
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #147 on: Nov 22, 2009, 10:53 PM »

Sorry about that!!! The water is that color because of the chemicals I put in to get rid of the Ick... It will clear up in a few days. That's what the guy from Petco said anyway.

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #148 on: Nov 23, 2009, 06:51 AM »
looks sweet PK 700 gph NICE  it should clear up mine was so cloudy that you could only see a foot down cleaned the filters and a week later crystal clear

Offline Bigbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #149 on: Nov 23, 2009, 02:45 PM »
Here acouple nice pike I caught while bait fishing one was 11lb 35" and the othet was 11. 09 36"
As you can see the pondies it about 9 1/2 inch there hard to handle and a picture of my bait tank. Good reminder never give a password to someone who like to start trouble Ron. Sorry Pat and Dan thanks for nothing Ron. Anyway here are some pictures. I would put this size pondies against any other bait out there dead or alive there awesome! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) P S If I can help anyone out let me know.     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.